Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Protector Tokaku

11-12-2013

Wow I absolutely love this thread. It's amazing and I couldn't agree more with all of the aspects pointed out in the thread. Only problem I have is that if they start to increase the details, the chance for fps lag and just the game loading time in general would probably take longer. If you get stuck with someone who doesn't have a decent computer or just really bad internet, the game will probably take a while to load.

I guess there's always the "lower the graphic settings" option, but then doesn't that just take away more from the players?

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

11-12-2013
33 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryypter View Post
I'm note sure if this would be better as a new map or not, but what if you did an underwater version of SR? Coral and seaweed forests, kelp brush, aquatic themed minions and monsters, etc. Everything would have a bluish tinge to it, and there would be a slight wavy effect on the ground from the lighting. Towers and structures would have barnacles climbing up them instead of vines. Maybe have the walls on either side of the midlane brush be shipwrecks.
I like that idea, we could construct Nami Fizz and Nautilus' home. That would be really fun. I very much prefer this type of skin to the minor thematic change. I like anything that helps us expose more of what our world is about. That being said when considering a vastly different theme, I would prefer to pair it with vastly different gameplay as well.

exec3

11-12-2013

An underwater level would be crazy but I agree that it'd be better as a new map. I think map skins should be more just smaller thematic changes like what we had with Winter and Harrowing because you have to question what exactly are the benefits of doing another complete visual overhaul for an existing map would be. Though I guess it depends on what you mean by 'small', i'd expect a Winter map to be a bit more than just snow and a frozen lake. :P

On another note I was thinking of this the other day and i'm not sure if someone's already mentioned it but with jungle camps what if they were little villages (specifically thinking red camp here, wolf camp could be a den or something)? Right now there's a little fireplace implying an encampment but a little village or something with houses that the creatures come out of when they respawn would be cool. It would also be cool that if you walk past them you see them just going about doing daily chores until you're close enough for them to see you in which they snap around ready for a fight (startled at first perhaps?).

You could go one step further and perhaps add in joke activities, like 1 in 100 games you'll walk into the ghosts playing poker or something lol.

Also would it be crazy if the golems/blue buff actually looked like part of the environment (as in a rock in the ground/against the wall) and when you come in close they start moving and getting into position ready to fight?

Just some random ideas I was having.

RiotForScience

11-13-2013
34 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by exec3 View Post
An underwater level would be crazy but I agree that it'd be better as a new map. I think map skins should be more just smaller thematic changes like what we had with Winter and Harrowing because you have to question what exactly are the benefits of doing another complete visual overhaul for an existing map would be. Though I guess it depends on what you mean by 'small', i'd expect a Winter map to be a bit more than just snow and a frozen lake. :P

On another note I was thinking of this the other day and i'm not sure if someone's already mentioned it but with jungle camps what if they were little villages (specifically thinking red camp here, wolf camp could be a den or something)? Right now there's a little fireplace implying an encampment but a little village or something with houses that the creatures come out of when they respawn would be cool. It would also be cool that if you walk past them you see them just going about doing daily chores until you're close enough for them to see you in which they snap around ready for a fight (startled at first perhaps?).

You could go one step further and perhaps add in joke activities, like 1 in 100 games you'll walk into the ghosts playing poker or something lol.

Also would it be crazy if the golems/blue buff actually looked like part of the environment (as in a rock in the ground/against the wall) and when you come in close they start moving and getting into position ready to fight?

Just some random ideas I was having.

These are great ideas. When it comes to the creep-camps I would prefer to move them in the monstrous direction rather than into the humanoid space, just so that is more clear from a player perspective that these guys operate with different rules than champions or shopkeepers. I love the idea of stronger and deeper themes for there camps though. I would love it if the wolf are felt like wolves lived there rather than looking like an abandoned miniature opera house. Either way the campfires really need to be looked at.

exec3

11-13-2013

That's a fair direction given all the camps are already monsters except Red Buff. I'd be curious how you go about monsterfying the Lizards while ensuring they don't just become literal lizards (that would be a boring enemy to fight! D: ).

I still think some creep camps could have various 'daily activities' that you see when you come into view (and can watch if you sit a decent distance away). For example in the wolf camp, the big wolf could be the father of the two smaller cub wolves and when you see them the two smaller wolves could be playing together as happy siblings or something. It'd help give the camps a reason for being there as it's their home rather than just a random place they're sitting at and waiting to be slaughtered.

RiotForScience

11-14-2013
35 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayuna View Post
Wow I absolutely love this thread. It's amazing and I couldn't agree more with all of the aspects pointed out in the thread. Only problem I have is that if they start to increase the details, the chance for fps lag and just the game loading time in general would probably take longer. If you get stuck with someone who doesn't have a decent computer or just really bad internet, the game will probably take a while to load.

I guess there's always the "lower the graphic settings" option, but then doesn't that just take away more from the players?

There are a lot of ways that we can improve visual quality without putting more pressure on our min-spec players, in fact there are a couple ways of improving visual quality while actually improving our performance. In Howling abyss we used a very labor-intense technique of hand-painting details that other games would have relied on engine-lighting to supply. The result of this method is an six-fold reduction in polygons and the ability to use a much more efficient lighting system.

We design for our low-specs first, then if we have time at the end try to add features for better machines. Performance is always a priority for the environment team.

Cliff Walrus

11-14-2013

An Orca type monster should replace baron in the seaworld map. Call him MamShu!

Maybe you guys could make custom rotating maps for the rotating game types? I never got a chance to play on the Winter/Autumn versions of SR before they were retired. But if there's a "find the teemo" game mode that gets rotated in wouldn't it fit to thematically have the brush be hay piles on the Autumn map so you can "find the needle (Teemo) in the haystack"?

Talith PA

11-14-2013

I recommend replacing the outdated Baron Nashor with something as equally impressive as Vilemaw. My suggestion? Baron Poromaw.

RiotForScience

11-14-2013
36 of 92 Riot Posts

His name is King Poro.... we don't talk about King Poro....

x SEM x

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-15-2013

I'd like to make a request to Riot to adjust what the Min-Spec is... This game is going into it's 4th season, and what was considered Min-Spec 3+ years ago should have progressed since then, not stayed the same.

Yes, I understand that it's great to have as large of a potential customer base as possible. Let's not forget that people below a new Min-Spec might still have a playable game...

Also, you'd greatly be benefitting your even larger customer base that aren't running at min-spec, and encouraging the sales growth in the PC Gaming community, by encouraging gamers to upgrade VERY outdated machines.

Let's not forget the benefit to EVERYONE this would make, with games loading a lot quicker if the community as a whole had slightly faster machines. Lyte would be happy if there were less reason to attack teammates for loading so slowly with their 486 Windows 3.1 machine. You already stopped showing pings because it only hurts, so does a individual that had a drastically large load time.