Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Faren22

07-30-2013

I don't like copy-pasting, so I'll just summarize my ideas here.

Since League's indestructible terrain is kind of a big deal, it would make sense that it needs a clean boundary between the terrain and the paths, but it wouldn't hurt to make the edges a bit less clean. Cosmetic saplings, short patches of grass near the tall stuff, etc. Hence the theme "nature vs. Summoners," as the forest attempts to reclaim the Summoner's battleground.

- Have the lanes be dirt/gravel logging roads. Minion travel routes would be marked by especially packed earth/gravel, or a rut in the landscape.
- Have the river flow underneath mid lane through grates or a culvert so that it actually feels more like a river.
- All minions need complete overhaul
- Different themes for each section of jungle/lane? One side is a pine forest, the other is deciduous? Possibly different seasons
- Might be a bit much, but SFX for walking through grass/water would be awesome. Might be difficult for champs like Zac or Cassio but it would still sound pretty neato

Ket

07-30-2013

Quote:
Faren22:

- Have the lanes be dirt/gravel logging roads. Minion travel routes would be marked by especially packed earth/gravel, or a rut in the landscape.

The ways of the lanes could be more and more look trampled the longer the game goes on and the minions pushing through them.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

07-30-2013

"I'd love for there to be map skins, if that's possible.... I find that giant Rule 63 statue of Pantheon/Sheeva in both bases somewhat odd. The perfectly lined up houses, and houses in general seem to "unnatural" for a forest, all lined up perfectly. Also, why are their houses in the middle of a forest in the first place"

I love map skins too! I loved the winter map that we launched with. However, at the moment, the Environment team's priority is getting all of our artwork up to the level of our most recent maps (HA, TT) Rather than providing visual variants on existing maps.

Concerning houses and Statues, The way we see quality is a balance between Aesthetics, Design and Narrative. In the future our map props will have a much stronger narrative connection.

RiotForScience

07-30-2013

"Since League's indestructible terrain is kind of a big deal, it would make sense that it needs a clean boundary between the terrain and the paths, but it wouldn't hurt to make the edges a bit less clean. Cosmetic saplings, short patches of grass near the tall stuff, etc. Hence the theme "nature vs. Summoners," as the forest attempts to reclaim the Summoner's battleground.

- Have the river flow underneath mid lane through grates or a culvert so that it actually feels more like a river.
- All minions need complete overhaul
- Different themes for each section of jungle/lane? One side is a pine forest, the other is deciduous? Possibly different seasons
- Might be a bit much, but SFX for walking through grass/water would be awesome. Might be difficult for champs like Zac or Cassio but it would still sound pretty neato"

Good call. I love the idea of telling little stories in our environments. Signs of wear and tear on the roads, or overgrowth or signs of flowing water all contribute to the overall story of an area.

Brzink

07-30-2013

I personally feel "Summoners Rift" Needs a new makeover, not a visual update D: . Rift:Typical rift features are a central linear downfaulted depression, called a graben, or more commonly a half-graben with normal faulting and rift-flank uplifts mainly on one side. Where rifts remain above sea level they form a rift valley, which may be filled by water forming a rift lake. The axis of the rift area may contain volcanic rocks, and active volcanism is a part of many, but not all active rift systems. I feel there is so much more than just paved roads inside a forest landscape.

Zerglinator

07-30-2013

Quote:
RiotForScience:
"I'd love for there to be map skins, if that's possible.... I find that giant Rule 63 statue of Pantheon/Sheeva in both bases somewhat odd.

Actually, I believe that's the original design for the shop.

RiotForScience

07-30-2013

"You could make the battle happening inside a village/city, since you can't juke between trees, they could be houses" -IS17f8587dd251c04bf0cdb

I like this idea a lot, our collision areas really could be anything. As a chunk of random trivia, a portion of Crystal Scar is actually set in a village. I think we could push that concept further.

"I personally feel "Summoners Rift" Needs a new makeover, not a visual update D: . Rift:Typical rift features are a central linear downfaulted depression, called a graben, or more commonly a half-graben with normal faulting and rift-flank uplifts mainly on one side. Where rifts remain above sea level they form a rift valley, which may be filled by water forming a rift lake. The axis of the rift area may contain volcanic rocks, and active volcanism is a part of many, but not all active rift systems. I feel there is so much more than just paved roads inside a forest landscape" -Brzink

I have to agree with you, I don't think that the map shows much evidence of either summoners or their rifts. Something to think about.

Ket

07-30-2013

More interaction with the trees, perhaps ?
That may be a visual issue, but how about instead of champions going over the trees, they go through them ? When using a skill to go through them yourself, they would rustle and wobble a little.

But when forcing a enemy through/against the trees through use of skills that use knockback, they would violently shake and sounds of cracking wood would be heard, along with perhaps the affected champion having leaves and twigs all over them for a short time ?

GForceRampage

07-30-2013

In my opinion, everything could be improved on SR, from the bushes to the nexus. Also, the terrain looks completely flat if you don't pay close attention. It feels you aren't controlling a 3D character, but rather a 2D to some extent. The only moment where I can see the height to some extent is when I wall jump with Riven through the Baron Pit or the Dragon Pit.(or anything that slowly travels through terrain)
Also, the creeps could use some rework across all the maps. HA got upgrades to everything, except minions. I would guess the next step to take is to rework on the minions. They are kinda *out-dated* IMO.

Here are some crazy ideas I have :
-Have the jungle camps completely re-done and re-positioned. I don't know how, but I thought it would make the map feel *brand new* again.
-Adding weather on SR would be cool and awesome looking (maybe have a random weather choosing system where every game would have another form of weather. that way, it wouldn't get old in the first few games.)
-Make the base look much better. It's the base after all... it shouldn't have trees in it.(I ran out of ideas and wanted to add something)

AbyssionKnight

07-30-2013

As far as the river goes, I think an interesting idea would be to make it a river completely through the map.

Take the shallow water texture you have now and put that on what's currently the lanes. Then make a 'deeper' looking texture for the rest of the river. Then, instead of shoving bridges or what not onto the map (since I personally think it's awkward walking off the sides of a bridge / back up the side of the bridge when exiting / entering a lane from the side, you have natural fords in the river that are points of contention instead.

Since summoners rift in general looks ancient and rundown, mid lane could have sort of a 'collapsed bridge' kind of feel. That way those torches currently there kind of make more sense, and the worn down and mostly nonexistent path that exists down midlane doesn't just awkwardly end at a ford, which really wouldn't make much sense.

The only challenge with that would be the difference between the 'deeper' river water and the shallows of the fords.

I doubt you could make characters 'sink' into the water or what not, as that'd probably screw up older machines running the game etc, but I think it'd still be cool.