Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

08-13-2013
23 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidd View Post
@RiotForScience

I'm just curious, as members from the Environmental Team seldom post on the forums, what do you guys actually do? Or rather, to what extent does "Environment Art" reach? So you guys handle terrain design, but do you guys handle creep design? Building design? Map animations? Creep animations? Do you guys just provide concept art or do you guys get involved with sculpting too?

Also, I highly appreciate you taking the time to talk to players. Thank you for that.

No problem, I love talking with you too! The Environment Team is in charge of all of the visual elements that go into a map. We have some guys on our team that primarily do concept drawings (The really rough pencily stuff, not the super painted up promotional stuff). We have some guys that primarily paint. We have some guys that primarily model. We have some guys that primarily world-build (which is taking the models from other artists and arranging them into a level). We have a couple guys that really focus just on the technical side of things, trying to make sure the map runs fast and the artists have functional tools.

At the end of the day we all do a little bit of everything. We spend a good bit of time training every member of our team to be a solid generalist with a really deep specialization. I am a Worldbuilder, but I spend a lot of time drawing, painting and sculpting; in addition to my layout-artist duties.

We work very closely with the Character and Animation teams for the creation of creeps and shopkeepers. We frequently do the initial concept drawings for these assets. But we do not usually handle modeling characters or animating them. We do provide a lot of feedback to the teams that do work on them though.

We work very closely with design, but we do not really push back on design ideas. We want to make sure that our art always improves gameplay clarity, so map-design input is crucial.

We frequently start the conversation about the narrative that is shown in an environment. If you think about the story that is happening in Howling Abyss, we started pursuing those ideas, then showed them to our writers. They took those ideas and expanded on it and developed it into the Howling Abyss lore.

It is a really fun process. I work with very talented people that really know how to push quality. It is so exciting to see these worlds come into existence.

fishbeard

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotForScience View Post
This is a great idea. I really like how having more narrative spawns could impact their areas. I dig it on my end. I will make sure the animators hear about it too.
If Jungle camps get an actual spawning animation, could you do something about the minions? They just appear next to the Nexus and start walking. Maybe have 3 doorways or portals on the sides of the Nexus that they come out of? Or a marked circle on the ground and a particle effect when they appear, so it looks like they're teleported in to the map?

Blafl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-13-2013

@RiotForScience, on the topic of having spawn animations for jungle camps, I think it would be cool if champions had a different spawn animation too, when first coming into the map, or respawning, each different animation could tell a story about the champ. Just a small idea and I love the amount of work you do with the community and how involved you are, thanks!

RiotForScience

08-13-2013
24 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blafl View Post
@RiotForScience, on the topic of having spawn animations for jungle camps, I think it would be cool if champions had a different spawn animation too, when first coming into the map, or respawning, each different animation could tell a story about the champ. Just a small idea and I love the amount of work you do with the community and how involved you are, thanks!

I like the idea, I think you are right, it would be a good story moment. However, is more of a Character Team feature than an Environment Team feature. I will run it past them.

Insidiae

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blafl View Post
A unique animation for every champion could be too much work for them at this point (how many champions do we have now?). what would you think about a smal magic circle appearing beneath their feet at spawn/revive(for the summoning) representing the champions allegiance? maybe with a unique animation for every citystate/region symbol?

Thiscould even work for skins like Blackfrost Anivie who got cunsumed by Lisandra´s ice, if i remember correct (?)

I like changes who could improve the story telling and dont take them years of development to be finished

RiotForScience

08-13-2013
25 of 92 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insidiae View Post
A unique animation for every champion could be too much work for them at this point
Definitely, but the thing I like about this idea is that we do not need to apply it retroactively or universally (like we would for unique deaths based on damage types) We could just add this to an upcoming skin or champ and slowly thread it into our normal champ output.I think the downside of this feature is that it would literally play once per map unless we also used it as the way that champs respawn after death.

Concerning the summoning circle idea, I think that is a good idea too. It would require a rework of the base platform. I like how it could add some explanation about how champs actually get to the fields of justice to begin with.

Akaleth

08-13-2013

I have to agree with most of what has been said - SR as it is has gotten bland and in many ways feels too artificial. I think there's a lot of improvements that can be made to make the map more visually appealing while not distracting the players from the game itself.

The idea earlier for the grates underneath mid lane for the river is perfect, as well as the worn-down ground beneath the path that minions walk. I think extending that path idea through the jungle and into the river would similarly get rid of some of the monotony.

Speaking of the jungle, I think there should be some kind of physical landmark other than the curved trees that surround their home, like what Dota has done with the tribal markings that label camp spawns (for reference: http://www.devilesk.com/dota2/images..._compress2.jpg). Some of the camps have campfires and cauldrons, but these assets could either be replaced or updated to be more noticeable. Something like what the wraith camps have, but something that fits or blends in with the environment better. Their landmark is just some random circular ruin that doesn't seem to fit thematically with the wraiths or the map itself.

(I know referencing a competing game in this context is somewhat awkward, but I just really think the map design is one thing that Dota has an edge on)

I think adding a source of water for the river would also be a great idea. Something like a waterfall in the top-left corner, leading all the way down to a cliff or drain in the bottom-right corner.

Replace some areas of the jungle that have a lot of trees with something more exciting. There appears to be some kind of rock or ruins in the area of trees just to the right of the blue-side top lane tower, and that could easily be extended to fill that entire area of trees and become an impressive monument.

Might edit this with more later, but that's what has come up in my mind so far.

Insidiae

08-13-2013

@RiotForScience

concerning the unique deaths based on damage types. couldnt be a unique particle effect based on damage type, acompanying the current death animation, be enougth ?

Like a flame wall for a kill with fire skills or the champion vanishing into a puddle for water skills (you could just lower the plane on which the animation is executed over the time of the animation, in addition to the puddel, i imagine nothing special here )?
OK at first you would have to decide major categories for all skills to keep the workload manageable but it seems to be possible this way.

For magical abilities it should work, im only worried how you could do it for "melee" skills like Darius Ult, but why should you need to do it for every skill ?(just keep it like it is, for these skills)

Blafl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

08-13-2013

@RiotForScience: the idea I had about spawn animations could be alot like recall animations, I remember when Draven came out and I thought his recall animation showed how he was so full of himself and I loved the idea, I've also enjoyed many of the recall animations since then. For the idea of spawn animations, like you said, it could be a feature for new champions, much like recall animations, and with reworks, other ones could be added too.

Just a thought.

Yaddar

08-13-2013

Can we expect a Harrowing Map this year? - I really kind of miss them, they were awesome.

also, Some desert-themed skin for SR? With sand and pyramids and cactus Baron and Dragon could be oasis or something.

Skins for SR could add visual variety to the game without having to build a whole new map (like the old Magma chamber project)