Summoner's Rift Detailed Art feedback

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

jsgnextortex

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2013

We all know that Summoner's rift looks old right now, specially since the release of the new TT and HA...but, what are the most important factors that make SR look old, outdated or just ugly?

__________________________________________________ ___________________
Things that need tweaks, improvements or remakes:

Cliffs:
Click image for larger version

Name:	cliff.PNG
Views:	11211
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	744209
This is the one that deserves urgent attention...the cliffs look so empty, most of them are nothing but a textured polygon...not to mention its side textures look like a Minecraft grass Block.

Suggestions: tweak the textures applied to the cliffs, make them look more "complex"...also, adding grass, trees or other objects on the top of cliffs would help to make them look better...

Trees:
Click image for larger version

Name:	forest.PNG
Views:	5812
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	744213
I know the game is famous because of the cartoonish and handdrawn feel of the game graphics....but the trees are one of the weakpoints of the game art...this is more noticeable in large groups of trees...
The main problems are:
* The lower part of the tree model doesnt blend with the terrain (the trunks) and makes them look out of place
* The proportions are messed up (trees need larger Crowns and smaller trunks)
* The height of the trees needs more variety...I know there are visual limitations with this(so trees dont block champions or roads, but still...

Baron's nest:

Name:  Baron.JPG
Views: 17610
Size:  12.5 KB
Doing baron is a very special event in a LOL game...but, visually, it doesnt feel that special...I mean, the Baron's nest is almost a Copy-paste from the Dragon's one....It needs to bring a more"Epic" feel than what it is now (its almost empy).

White torches:
Name:  cat.JPG
Views: 17007
Size:  11.5 KB
I hated this ones since the SR visual upgrade, they just dont fit the map style....they look cathedral themed while SR is all about forests and wilderness...

Objects and decorations:
Name:  repetitive.JPG
Views: 17502
Size:  19.7 KB
Some of the map objects are overused, specially torches(as seen in the attached image)

Turrets:
Well...nothing to explain here, the turrets look very ugly and outdated compared with the HA ones
The nexus could get some love too...

__________________________________________________ ___________________
Things that must be preserved:

The overall ""Fairy Tale styled forest" feel of the map
Some people who are new to LOL dont know about this but this is one of the aspects that makes LOL unique.
Every other moba's 5v5 map is dark-creepy themmed while SR is a forest full of flowers bushes and such...while some people think this doesnt suit the genre, I think its part of the magic of SR, and it would be a shame to lost it in a VU.

Keep the "Single themed maps" policy
Please dont turn the purple side into a dark dead forest like Hon and Dota did....it gives people another reason to not want to be placed at the purple/blue side...
This is another thing I love of the direction art of LOL...SR is a bright forest, TT is a dark forest, HA is a frosty bridge, Dominion is a Steampunk monopoly and Magma chamber is a Magma chamber (lol)....
Different variations of the same map would be awesome like the old ones (ex: Halloween SR, Winter SR, etc) or even day/night cycles (purple lighting for night, so it doesnt affect visibility)

Fountain Circle (Lazor range indicator)
This is a VERY important aspect of the game...it needs to be there so we know the range of the fountain Lazer...in HA, for example, this area is nonexistent and its very hard to tell the lazer's range

Map proportions
Personally, I think the proporsions of SR are close to perfection...thats why people can play the same map over and over without getting tired of it...theres no need to change this in any possible way.

>Support for low spec systems< - IMPORTANT
TT and HA destroyed some laptops and low specs systems to the point of becoming unplayable maps for some...meaning some people can only play SR and dominion now....I dont think they will be happy if they cant run SR anymore...a possible solution is adding more custom options to the visuals of SR (shaders?, lighting options?, etc).

Remember this first post reflects my personal opinion on the subject and not the absolute truth of what shall be done to SR in a future VU.
Feel free to add your own feedback on this thread!

Update: I love to see that every single thing i pointed out in this thread got tweaked in the VU....good job Riot

RiotForScience

Senior Environment Artist

07-30-2013
1 of 97 Riot Posts

Man, I love this thread! I hope people see this and feel comfortable adding feedback about what they do and do not like about current SR. If someone is feeling super motivated; we should grab the feedback off of the other thread and compile it here. There are so many good points and suggestions in both threads.

Yousonerfed

07-30-2013

I agree, actually. SR does need more visual love.

HOWEVER, giving SR another visual upgrade would probably take until Season 5 to complete. Still, it'd give Riot something to do.

Skyhawke

07-30-2013

Great suggestions, and I'm glad you provided images to show exactly what you mean.

What would you (or anyone) like to see instead of the overused torches?

RiotForScience

07-30-2013
2 of 97 Riot Posts

There are a couple other threads up right now that are basically discussing this same thing. I want to consolidate them into this thread. I am going to copy/paste the most interesting ideas from those threads over here and respond to your feedback as well as theirs.

MasterForce

07-30-2013

Here are some things I do not like about SR: (This is only MY opinion)

The jungle camps' creeps are plain ugly. (the small ones) I think they do not look good in any sort of way. They feel like Sion to me.

Furthermore, the minions look awful and should get some love as well.

Not to forget the oddly placed trees in some places and their size variations.

EDIT: The trees are all the same in some way. I wish there were more variety of trees instead of just 1 kind.

RiotForScience

07-30-2013
3 of 97 Riot Posts

"I'd flip the golem camp so that the two golems face the other direction" -Weegee7

As a Nunu player I love the idea because I think it would make it really easy to steal blue. What were the advantages that you were seeing to this change.

"Do something with that random statue near the blue side Ancient Golem camp. It's there for no reason."-Weegee7

There are actually a lot of details like that in the current SR. I agree we could do a better job of making those elements feel intentional.

"1. i would love to see sr on night
2. interactive object, destroying boxes, barrels, caves, etc.
3. make it look like the new beta site backgrouds" -Lax Is Back

The readability of the playspace is more important to us than even the Aesthetic of the map. Night scenes are inheirantly tricky because of more limited visability. Perhaps a map with a lot of artificail lighting could work for a night scene.

We added a lot of destructable elements into HA. I expect that to be a continuing trend, that being said they are also really expensive from a performance standpoint. We are very careful about how additions like that will impact our min spec players.

Concerning the Beta Site background.... this is a point that I will probably need to make more than once because it is somewhat hard to wrap my head around. That specific piece of artwork is not concept art, but is rather a promotional illustration. It is intended to give an idea of what current SR would look like in real life. It is not "forward looking" and should not be interpretted in that way. That being said, I am so happy that you like that image. I hope that you can trust us that if we can make one great image we can probably make another great, but different image.

Ket

07-30-2013

The minions and the monsters need a upgrade, along with making the edges in the map smoother.
Maybe making the brush move when running in it a little adds a bit more immersion to the game.

Edit : How about making the turrent's appearance chip slowly away the more it gets damaged ? I saw that happen at the ones in the Howling Abyss.

RiotForScience

07-30-2013
4 of 97 Riot Posts

"The jungle camps' creeps are plain ugly.... The trees are all the same in some way. I wish there were more variety of trees instead of just 1 kind" -MasterForce

Good points on both counts. TT uses a couple different trees but orients them in such a way that they never feel repeated. A combination of very unique art and clever reuse of art is our construction method.

Zerglinator

07-30-2013

I say we just make everything be Poros.