Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Boisenberry

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2013

I would like to see skarner's tail used.

KalastRaven

07-30-2013

IF skarner has someone marked with his E maybe he should be able to hit them with R regardless of distance. That would make him a very strong champion with no further changes needed.

l4z

07-30-2013

I have no time to answer all questions, but as diamond I jungler why I wont play him is
- ulty so bad cuz u can flash when u grab with it ( so retarded cuz ezreal E works like flash )
- skarner E spell does nothing
- dunno riot nerfed shurelia so he isnt viable anymore like someone said

Anyway I loved this champion in S2, would be nice if u guys can fix him a little bit.

weaponofmd

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2013

I main Skarner in season 2..

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
Constantly slowing enemy was the most fun part for me. Also it was fun to see enemy helplessly trying to break through my shield.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
Frustrating... vs a mobile team which could kite me in fights.
Unfun, have your ult broken, enemy flash away? please... it should be like a stun. Also ult cd was too long, especially after the nerf.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
Hard to judge the ult range.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
Warwick's ult is similar to Skarner's ult, and Warwick's ult has lower CD and larger range.
In a way, Nautilus is similar to Skarner, constant stun vs aoe slow, a shield, but Nautilus has a ranged CC initiation, Skarner doesn;t.

archonshope

07-30-2013

I would like to talk some more about his E.

Someone mentioned he played skarner top and enjoyed it, the majority plays him in the jungle and nobody uses E so I'd still think this is the easiest skill to tweak to make him more usefull.

Ps : if you want to play him top and need sustain go botrk : reliable slow to engage, AS for more cdr and lifesteal so you don't waste mana, hydra can also be fun uber aoe

Skarner in the jungle doesn't need a heal because low naut as long as he can keep his shield up he is good to go. On a second thought if his E became relevant a late game. Skarner with tons of famage, good CC a shield AND sustain might become problematic. A tank that gets a shield and sustain just seems to strong.

Also his E doesn't synergieses with the rest of his kit, with every ability you want to stay close to your target for it to be relevant. His E makes you stop in your tracks then cast it, could you make it castable while moving?

Servantofthe99

07-30-2013

i don't play skarner but how about giving him a scaling passive that returns some sort of damage? can either be % based or could be an increased amount per level true damage return. could help out in jungle and laning...just wondering

OnyStyle

07-30-2013

Skarners largest weakness is his ability to easily get kited. His E is (imo) useless. What is frustrating for players playing against skarner his skarner's perma slow.
Now what if you put a slow on his E and decrease the amount of slow on his Q? This way it will be easier to run away from Skarner once they are in his perma slow. However, if the skarner is skillful, and skarner hits his E on them, then they will continue to be slowed.
Another idea: Decrease the amount of shield skarner has but give it tenacity either on active or on passive. This will help Skarner be less affected with slows and other abilities that give skarner a really hard time to close the gap.

Orpheon

07-30-2013

Maybe heretical, but Sand King of DOTA2 comes to mind. His burrowstrike is a good gap closer type ability and I feel like it wouldn't be out of place on Skarner as far as theme. My concern is that invuln gapclose + ult would be incredibly overpowered.

EDIT: I love his passive. A passive that rewards aggression and brings your defining ability back faster by being aggressive is excellent.

I like his Q. Spammable shockwaves of slow that make actually disengaging stupid hard. Combine that with his passive and it's really satisfying and feels active. It's annoying to have to ramp it up to get the slow and have someone escape while you prime your attack, but I take that as a tradeoff for a permaslow with good damage.

His W is just underwhelming, to me. You activate it and the shield is so pitiful that it falls off with a light breeze and whoosh, there goes your attackspeed/movespeed hike, which hampers your power to duel a target or snare someone with your ult. Ganks are laughable when the ADC needs only tag you with a quick AA to slow you to a crawl (so to speak). Supports like Thresh and Janna (Nami, to a lesser extent) aggravate it.

Skarner's E is stupid. I understand why it was nerfed in the beginning but now it just...sucks. I also echo the sentiment that for a character who's defining trait is sticking and being able to fight on the run having to stop and cast an incredibly weak skillshot is frustrating.

Skarner's Ult is his primary ability, and I feel like the center of his design, currently. It's very, very strong. Suppress a target and literally drag them wherever you please. The problem with that is that his ult is so strong that everything else about him is weak, by comparison and necessity. It's a fantastic skill, very satisfying when you get it right. The feeling of running a target to the ground and then dragging them to a kill is extremely satiating.

But in the current league where many, many champions have some way to jump/bounce around, flash SOMEHOW allowing them to dodge your cast, and so on and so forth, it's just really, really hard to land.

TL;DR: I love Skarner. He's the first champ I bought, first champ I got a skin for, he's still far and away my favorite champion. I love his theme, love his look, love his voice clips, the whole shebang. His kit just...doesn't compare to those that come after him and some that came before. Nothing he does isn't outclassed by the newer ones. Hecarim, Nautilus, Elise, Zac, Nunu...the list goes on. Wish it weren't so.

Arduno

07-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Hey All,
I’m going to be doing some Skarner work and right here is one of the best places to start. There has been a great thread in the Champion Feedback forum (shoutout to Irish Red Cap) with a lot of good discussion on how people are feeling about Skarner’s current state.

So I’ve been doing some digging and unfortunately, poor Skarner is being picked 80% less this year than he was last year. Some of this might be from some nerfs he has received, but it may also be because newer champs are outclassing him in what he does best. Either way, I think we all agree that Skarner could benefit from a few improvements to make him more fun/viable for both Skarner players and their opponents. Keep in mind, the goal here is not "make Skarner OP." There will always have to be strengths and weaknesses to all champions.

Before we get to any of the potential changes, we need to figure out what Skarner’s strengths and weaknesses are right now. I have a few questions for you all, and you can answer these as a SKarner player or even as someone who only has experience playing against Skarner.

I have my own personal answers to these questions, but I may be only seeing one side of the coin. There are some Skarner players out there with wayyy more experience that I have, and I think there is a lot of valuable information that I may be missing. I have a feeling that once we get talking, we will come to some very useful conclusions. GOGOGO

-Scruff
Skarner is a Scorpion would be cool if u could make him Dig, Dig it?

He is a scorpion, his walk just digs in and if you catch someone they cannot escape easely (they still can but it aint easy)

What most melee champs hate the kiting
The lack of mana regen items, Skarner uses a lott of mana and i mean a lott

Not sure havent seen any beside myself and if i do see one its a freaking miracle.
But my guess is his shield that makes him though to kill added with the cant run if he catches me

Xin chao: huge damage/knockup and a gap closer with slow and his W heals

Zac: Long range gap closer/slow/knockup/ dude is flexable!!

Lee sin: this dude is so annoying with sight stone and he wards everyones lanes kinda
gap closer but it takes skill so its ok/knockup ult/slow

Udyr: is kinda in the same league as skarner but if he goes tiger jungle this guy is a monster that even xin chao will fear/if he catches u he will go bear/tiger and maybe phoenix then tiger/bear and mostly there death

can add more but that would be a longggg list!! gl matey!!

IS1c5513544a4e86eca5f5b

07-30-2013

His ult is what defines him I think, you are basically able to re-position ANY other member of the enemy team however you wish, and that is hugeeeeeee and is what made him such a threat. And the fact that you can build tanky and flash+ult their carries is what make skarner fun.

His mana management is abhorring, for a champion that is based on AAs and spamming Qs, his
mana pool/regen is so bad that his early game is incredibly hard. You want to trade with someone? Ok, have fun with 1/3 of your mana pool gone in a 3-4 Qs. Bear in mind that skarner isn't known for his damage, his Q is a perma slow, it's a DoT more than a nuke skill, so even with these 3-4 Qs, you wouldn't be dealing a tremendous amount of damage.

If skarner ever get past the early game, it's impossible to get away from him unless you got a billion jumps(kassadin). His damage starts to pick up mid game and his perma slow is simply adding insult to injury. Once you get caught you are almost better off fighting skarner than running away. The problem here is that, skarner's kit is based on him being this perma slowing mana reliant bruiser, so while skarner's perma slow is what made it annoying to play against, it's also something that uniquely defines him as well.

Any of the junglers can do a better job just because they aren't mana constraint early game. A skarner NEEDS blue to even clear his 1st jungle relatively fast and he usually needs the 2nd blue to continue jungling/ganking as well. A nasus can achieve the same degree of lane pressure/cc from his wither w/o having to be super mana reliant. While a Lee Sin can achieve the same degree of re-positioning with his Dragon's Rage while being a huge threat early/mid game. The point here is, that, if looking SORELY at skarner's ult as his *defining point* then alot of champions, while not having the exact ability, they sacrifice alot less early game in terms of mana and jungle power while still having enough CC to do what skarner's ult does. This less mana reliancy then translates to jungle clear speed/lane pressure/objective pressure - basically everything for a jungler.