Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NiceanLoH

07-29-2013

What if his E applied the slow? Being permaslowed by Mundo is incredibly rewarding for the Mundo, but it's skillshot-gated. The E being sort of a Mundo Q that passed through people and was short range would make it a bit harder to permaslow, allow you to retain the slight casting animation, and make his E a better skill. I LOVE permaslowing people with Skarner, it's the only reason I play him, apart from his ult. Udyr is a far better duelist, like so many people have mentioned, and is better in almost every way apart from Skarner's ult.

Carlino

07-29-2013

Please consider that AP skarner is rather strong in the top lane with yorick like sustain and very high poke damage with his E max.

Towar

07-29-2013

i love his ult but his q needs buffed

Trot

07-29-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

His strong AOE clear, and great ganks.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?

Mana issues, and AOE clear not having as much of an impact in the jungle.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?

Getting pulled, obviously.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?

Yes. Hecarim has great AOE clear and a game changing ult, however his ult is teamwide and he has better sustain.

Martha J Stewart

07-29-2013

So reading through the some of this is showing me that a lot of people think the most frustrating thing about playing against Skarner is being the one he ults every fight. To me this reads "I hate having to buy QSS so early in the game." For the price of a B.F. Sword, you can keep Skarner off you or force him to ult someone else AND it upgrades into a legitimately useful item for carries.

What is the most frustrating thing about playing Skarner? My ult doesn't do what I want it to do after ~10-15 minutes and the item I fear isn't very expensive, has good stats, and a useful upgrade.

MaingoSeven

07-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
I'm seeing the feedback about removing the permaslow from Q. It's definitely a loss in power for Skarner, but with the goal of increasing his consistency, it could work out to his benefit. How would you feel about Skarner having a way to activate his slow right off the bat instead of delayed instead of having permaslow?
Sounds terrible.
League is FILLED with champs who can quickly gapclose, do damage and then get peeled afterwards.
Skarner is a more niche style of champ in that it's very difficult for him to initially get in, but he's rewarded by sticking better than the other champs who can instantly gap close massive distances.
You can change Skarner to be more of a burst initiate champ but unless you make him pretty broken numbers wise, he'll be tossed to the side in favor of J4, Zac etc.
Please keep Skarner as a more niche style of engage with the tough time getting in and the tough time getting peeled. It's these kinds of differences that make the game interesting and give champions a much more personal feel.
If resistances get buffed back up to be worth purchasing, you'll see Skarner become much more popular because he scales better with resistances than flat HP.

EluXun

07-29-2013

Just make is q not have to be energized on the first hit to do the slow, and give him bonus stats when he uses his w

Ultros

07-29-2013

I main jungle and play Skarner a lot. He was my favorite jungler in season 2, and I still think he's good now. I hope my comment doesn't buried too deep here because he has always been one of my favorite champions and I'd really like to be heard on this one.

What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

1. The persistent AoE slow to constantly help your carries kite in team fights.
  2. His ultimate with Boots of Mobility + W or a Flash is super-satisfying.
  3. His Exoskeleton makes people think he's squishier than he really is, and by the time they realize they're losing the fight, they're permaslowed and it's too late.
There are more, but I think those are my top 3.

What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
  1. Restrictive mana costs. If his blue buff gets stolen at level 1, he has a really hard time recovering. If you want to give your mid the 2nd and later blue buffs, he needs Spirit Stone + Philo Stone (at least those are the items I choose) just to get by.
  2. His E is pretty much useless in the jungle.
  3. The current meta. The number of champions who can just jump away / revive / make themselves immune after getting initiated on with his ultimate has largely grown in recent months.
  4. Skillshot snares like Lux, Zyra, and Morgana's just really suck.

What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
  1. I haven't played against him in a long time, but I think it's probably really hard to deal with him in team fights when he gets fed. Nearly unkillable, spams slows, and does decent damage with a Iceborn Gauntlet.

Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
  1. Nautilus does everything Skarner does in team fights except his Q is equivalent to Skarner's ultimate. His ultimate also hits everyone on the enemy team if well placed.
  2. Sejuani does everything Skarner does with the ability to initiate without risk and without Flash. She can also dash through walls while he cannot.
  3. Zac's slows aren't quite as "perpetual" as Skarner's, but he is tankier stat-wise and has a ridiculously powerful passive. He can also gank through wards at-will, while a well-warded river kind relegates Skarner to farming between Flash cooldowns.

I don't think there's anything wrong with him. He's just not amazing in a split push 3+ threat meta. He was always amazing against "protect the carry" single threat comps before and those are out of favor now.

Ever since the Iceborn Gauntlet and Spirit of the Ancient Golem came out, I think he's stronger than he was Season 2 with the exception of his W cooldown maybe. (I consider Ezreal not being able to break his ult anymore a bug fix, not a buff. Good job on that!)

All I think he needs is a new E if anything at all.

Fix Warwick first

MichaelR

07-29-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
Zooming in at a billion miles an hour and the dragging the enemy squishy to your team.
• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
People flashing out of my ultimate. E feels useless.
• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
The moment he permaslows you, you are a sitting duck.
• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
Volibear does what skarner does but better. Volibear has a better passive.Hecarim in the same area, hes super fast and has an aoe fear.

Zeninth

07-29-2013

I'm going to comment on the main points all the lovely people have summarized

-Skarner's ult is AWESOME (jawesome?) and it is his defining ability
Yes it's super awesome being able to sorta reposition and enemy. I feel it's still not as strong as most of the ults in game. Skarner's ult does no damage and requires him to get so close. But that's okay! I think the duration of the ult should be increased to last another .25 seconds.

-Skarner is very mana dependent and without blue he suffers
Totally true. He needs it more than every other jungler since he needs to spam Q to clear jungle camps.

-Skarner is very easily kited
Yep. Him and Udyr suffer from this so much. Skarner isn't picked anymore because so many champions have escapes now. Same reason why Warwick isn't picked. Perhaps Skarner's W should be reworked from a movespeed increase to a line dash ability. Skarner is currently a weaker version of Sejuani except he does have a permaslow sorta IF he ever gets to his target.

-Getting permaslowed by Skarner is frustrating
Yep. But he has to get to you first. Maybe increase Skarner gap closer or range but reduce his permaslow ability as a tradeoff? Looking at Sejuani again as a comparision.

-Skarner's E ability (Fracture) doesn't feel useful/can be somewhat clunky to use
Yep. Does no damage and the healing is minimal unless you max it and play top lane Skarner or something unexpected. Possibly increase the range and make it some sort of snare ability? eg. Morgana, Lux binding? Or change it into a line dash ability?

-Other junglers (zac/j4/voli etc) are more reliable in ganking and teamfights
Yep. The weaknesses Skarner has is what makes him less useful in teamfights. Zac gap closer has a crazy range and he can immediately turn it into his ultimate for team disruption and can hit multiple targets. Skarner has to run at you then ulti 1 single target.

TLDR: I hate to say it but give Skarner a line dash ability that can go over terrain. eg. Zac, Sejuani, J4, Vi, Tryndamere, etc.