Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fox00

07-29-2013

I am currently a jungle-only player, and my original jungle champion was skarner. I mained him for all of season 2. He used to be one of my favorite champs, but i do agree he has become a lot less fun lately. For starters i think the jungle changes really hurt skarners jungle clear. He used to be that really fast aoe clearer who raced to level 6 and then dominated the map. Second i think the nerfs really knocked him out of viability. I do think skarner may have needed to be scaled back a little at the time but i think the Riot just went in the wrong direction with some of his nerfs ultimately killing skarner's "fun factor." The first nerfs he recieved were hits to his q and increase to his R cd. Although i may argue it may have been better to nerf skarners damage on the q rather than the ultility, as he is a champion that lacks the utility needed these days to stick on someone and dish out the damage he is capable of. But ultimately i think this nerf wasnt too bad, and the nerf to his ult cd, and even the bugg fix that came later was well placed. Then the second round of nerfs came around, and i feel like i see very little people talking about it, but what was probably his biggest nerfs yet was his w nerfs. It was already beginning to be frustrating that people were starting to be able to get away from you so easily. Changing the cd of his w by 4 seconds, although it seems small, had the greatest impact in skarner's demise. One of the most important factors of skarner was his high mobility, and i think this change locked him in as one of the less mobile champions in the league.I also think a lot of this has to do with the new champion archetypes, and the evolving game play. Jayce, elise, khaz, liss, aatrox, ect. all kind of have a slight advantage over skaner :/
• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

most important is CONSTANT SPAM OF SPELLS, followed closely by High mobility and feeling like a strong tanky fighter.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?

Well the fact that the bug fix on skarners R also extends to normal jumps for one, making some chapions impossible to deal with.. Also I think his S3 clear time in the jungle is extremely frustrating especially as a S2 skarner player who is used to eating the jungle.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
He doesnt really frustrate me lately as i am usually happy to see him on opposing team, especially when im Ez.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
I mean, every champion does what they do uniquely, which is part of what makes LOL such a great game. right now there are initiators that i would probably pick over skarn, their are support tanks i would probably pick over skarn, there are offensive fighting tanks i would choose over skarn, and there are even duelists/ counterjunglers/ objective control champions that i would pick over skarn, which is were i would say he is the strongest. although, i do think skarn can still be a good pick if you truly need a solid balance of all these things.

Ultimatey i think, with maybe a few extra tweaks to adjust jungle clear, a revert to the nerf on his w and maybe a buff to that very spell may be all skarner needs to become extremely viable again.

OH AND the bug fix on his R concerning flashes should i only be for flashes. I definitely agree with that change when your talking about flashes because if you couldn't flash away from him their would be almost no counterplay to Skarners niche combo. But as it is now, where champions with jumps also get this effect, we see the situation reveresed. now, against a lot of champions with low cd jumps + flash, Skaner is the one with virtually no counter play against them. IE.it has become almost impossible to ult nidalee as skarner. :/

RandomGuy928

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2013

Skarner has been my favorite champion in the game since his release almost two years ago now. I played him when he was considered garbage right when he came out, when he was considered broken for much of S2, and now when he is considered nerfed and outdated.

The nerfs in S2 were hard to swallow, and I spent a long time feeling really bad about having my favorite champion gutted. However, over the past few months, I've managed to get over the changes and love my Skarner again for the strengths that he still has, even if he is a much more situational pick these days.

Do not break my heart again, Riot. Do not.

General Analysis

Skarner's kit consists of two parts: his feedback loop, and his ultimate.

Skarner's feedback loop is the brilliant way that his Q, W, passive, and (lategame) E all work together to enhance each other. W makes you run faster and attack faster and Q keeps them in range so you can keep autoattacking them. His passive then refreshes his Q and W, allowing him to cycle again. His E (once you get around to skilling it) provides additional sustain like his W.

The end result is that you have to fully commit to fights. Your strength comes from relentlessly attacking. If you stop attacking, you stop getting shields, heals, Q's... everything. Your abilities refresh your abilities so they can, in turn, refresh your abilities, with autoattacks tying everything together. It really is quite brilliant.

The 4 second cooldown increase on his shield broke the feedback loop. Very frequently, when I'm trying to play Skarner and get my feedback loop rolling, that shield cooldown lands on 3-4 seconds. I initially wrote this off, saying "hahaha, you can't nerf Skarner's cooldowns!", but I was wrong. This is the single biggest change that needs to happen, and honestly, I'd be content with this as the only change.

The feedback loop powers his ultimate, but there isn't much of a relationship other than that. His ultimate is his big, playmaking ability. While the rest of his kit is dedicated to running a marathon, his ultimate is for making the split-second plays.

Existing in the feedback loop and catching people out with Impale. Skarner is fun once he gets rolling - you shield to run in so you can Q them so you can attack them so you can Q them again, all so you can eventually bring your shield back up and do it again, keeping you alive for long and longer so you can do more and more damage and holding them down for your team can follow up. Yes, this is rambling, but that's the essence of the character. Skarner is relentless once he gets rolling.

Impale is obviously extremely satisfying when it works. Everyone loves making big plays. and Impale is one of the best play-making abilities in the game.

"FEEL MY.... oh, you flashed out? Never mind." Sure, you get the cooldown back (but not your Flash/Shurelia's/W/safe positioning), but this is incredibly frustrating.

The only other frustrating thing is when the feedback loop doesn't work. Say, for example, the slow wasn't reliable. That would piss me off. Seriously, Skarner already has serious issues closing the initial gap - if people can get away from him after he blows his W/Shurelia's/Flash to initially close the distance without any blinks or dashes, then there isn't much point to the champion.

I think a lot of people feel that there isn't much counterplay to Skarner once he's on top of you. In my eyes, that's like saying there isn't much counterplay to a fed Jax. Your assessment might be right, but why did you let me get on top of you?

The key to being able to play Skarner is closing the initial gap and getting your feedback loop/ultimate rolling. You have no blinks or dashes (save Flash), so it's all about finding opportunities to get close enough to do your work. This is what makes a Skarner player good. (Well, that and knowing when to ult people away from your teammates.)

You'd be surprised how many things can stop a charging scorpion, and you'd be really surprised how easy it is to hold him down even after he gets his ult off. Also, QSS is a thing.

This largely depends on what you consider Skarner's job to be. He's a tanky, bruiser-ish character with a single-target initiation and significant amounts of in-fight sustain (both defensive and offensive). His main additional gimmick is his permaslow. I don't really think any other champion covers this ground.

I guess that any tanky champion designed to pick out one person and then contribute sustained damage/utility for the rest of the fight would have a lot of overlap with Skarner, but most initiations are AoE. The only champion who comes to mind is Vi, but she's much more damage-oriented compared to Skarner's utility-focused kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
I think a really powerful change that would make Skarner's kit more clear in its usage and counterplay would be to focus the W and E abilities more for a single purpose each. W can be his defensive and gap closing ability exclusively. Inversely, E can be more focused as a brawling/jungle clearing/damaging ability.
This is somewhat concerning. A lot of Skarner's power, strangely enough, comes from his ability to ignore E. Since his Q and W are so strong together (with his passive to fuel them), he can afford to skill up his damage, durability, mobility, and attack speed (essentially cooldown reduction) all at once. Spreading that out with a jungle-constrained experience curve is going to have a big hit on his power level.

Many junglers rely on a one-point wonder skill, or at the very least, a skill that can safely be neglected for level ranks. Nobody wants a jungler who needs level 18 to be useful, since more often than not, you're going to be dragging behind in levels as the game presses onward and other roles take more and more of your farm while you are expected to contribute more and more selfless things.

Skarner's feedback loop relies on a number of things:

1. Skarner must be faster than his opponent such that he can autoattack them without falling out of range. (This is currently accomplished with a movespeed buff and slow.)
2. Skarner must have attack speed to refresh his abilities.
3. Skarner must be durable enough that his shield does not instantly break as soon as it is used.

Hurting Skarner's slow, attack speed, movement speed, or durability will disproportionately affect his kit due to how cyclical his abilities are. By spreading the attack speed and movement speed buff/shield to different abilities, you are forcing Skarner to not level one of them up, which will have a disproportionately large impact to his power level. A weak shield means the attack speed can't keep him alive, no attack speed means that his shield doesn't come off cooldown, no movement speed means he won't be able to stick to people and perpetuate the feedback loop, etc...

Keep in mind that Skarner's current kit is functionally complete even without E. I understand that making E relevant is generally a good thing, but spreading power across his kit has exponential ramifications. This is potentially justified if the severe loss in early-game power caused by preventing Skarner from leveling up all of his important stats at once is somehow compensated for by adding more power to his kit. I'm not just talking about a few extra percents - I'm talking mana costs, cooldowns, jungle clearing power, etc...

Quote:
Overall
-Overall mana costs reduced (probably looking at E first its super costly)
I think that simply making his E more of a cost-efficient heal could entice people to actually level it up early, since Skarner's early jungle sustain is severely lacking. One of the main issues now is that actually using E is additional tax to his already-constrained mana pool, so it is better to put all the skill points into something you will actually be using regularly (his shield).

Quote:
Q
-Hopefully removing permaslow by making the slow only occur on every other Q instead of all Qs after the first. To balance the loss in slow duration here, I want to make it a much stronger slow that decays over time but leaves gaps for people to counterplay. Hopefully this will be fun for skarner players too because they can now make some smart decisions when they want to use the new more powerful Q slow.
/wrists

Don't let Skarner get on top of you. He has no blinks or dashes (outside of Flash), and his movement speed steroid (W) is breakable.

A similar statement would be that Lissandra's ultimate has no counterplay because it is a targeted instant stun. The counterargument is that you see her claw coming and need to position accordingly. Good Lissandras create opportunities to get in range. Alternately, one could argue there is no counterplay to a fed Fiora jumping on your face. My counterpoint would be that you (or your teammates) already messed up if Fiora can one-shot you with her ultimate. There's nothing you can do right now because you screwed up in the past.

Skarner is very much the same way. He has to compete in a world where blinks and escapes are par the course, and all he has is the ability to scurry after you slightly faster than usual. While it may be difficult to get away from Skarner, it is also difficult for Skarner to get that close to you in the first place. That's why you see Skarners running Distortion boots and still buying Shurelia's - closing the initial gap is hard!

Quote:
W
-Increase the movespeed buff so that it is closer to other similar champs like Udyr and Volibear
-Possibly make the movespeed ramp up over time so its not too powerful of an escape "get out of jail free" ability
-Lower cooldown back to 14s from 18s like it was a few patches ago
-Strengthen the shield amount/AP ratios (to compensate for the loss of heal from E)
-Remove attack speed from the W buff
I already discussed my stance on moving the attack speed steroid. I am curious if this or E will be tailored to his new one-point skill.

Making the movespeed ramp up over time is a significant indirect nerf to his ultimate. Opportunities to use Impale frequently do not last for long. (No, you can't just charge into their team with brute force and expect to grab a valuable target and escape with your life.) Being able to pop W/Shurelia's/Flash to immediately capitalize on a split-second of poor positioning is what makes Skarner so powerful. Requiring his W to ramp up will significantly decrease his pick potential, as he will be unable to react as quickly when an opportunity arises.

Also, Skarner is no more "get out of jail free" than Udyr, Shaco, Shyvana (post-6), Nidalee, Kassadin, etc... His ability to assume risky positioning is how he can force other people out of position for fights, which is how he makes plays. Skarner needs to posture boldly or pounce stealthily if he expects to get any meaningful catches on reasonably intelligent players. Removing his ability to scurry around in the midst of danger will make it much more difficult for him to create bad positioning for his opponents.

Quote:
E
-Instead of the heal, proccing the E mark on targets will now give skarner his attack speed buff
-Increase total damage, but split it up so that only some is up front and the rest happens when you proc the mark
-Reduce mana cost
-Look into better usability (faster projectile, faster cast, etc) may be one or all of these
Casting E needs to not interrupt your movement.

Quote:
R
-Fix more edge cases so that the R will reliably go off on targets once it has been cast
No complaints here. This is one of the main points of frustration as a Skarner player.

Conclusions

The more I play Skarner, the more satisfied I am with his kit. He suffers from mana issues, Flash reliance, and a clunky E.

---Make his E not interrupt movement. It's really hard to chase people if you have to stop and cast spells.

---Arguably, tone down some of his mana costs. Personally, I've found that running Golem Spirit -> Shurelia's is both extremely synergistic with his kit and sufficient to solve mana starvation, but it would be a reasonably safe place to add unobtrusive power.

---The biggest way to boost his power level without directly changing mechanics is to decrease the cooldown on his W.

One big point to remember!!!

The S3 changes were a huge hit to Skarner, even outside of his nerfs. Remember that Skarner was a resist tank, and S2 had invincible resist tanks. Even if he was at the peak of his S2 power, Skarner would be much weaker now in S3 due to the simple fact that he wouldn't be able to turn invincible like he could in S2 with high resists and his refreshing shield/spammable heal. Essentially, S3 hurt Skarner just as much as, if not more than, any individual round of nerfs directed at Skarner.

To be blunt, I suspect that you're overthinking this whole affair. I would start out by simply reverting some of the nerfs and seeing how things played out from there, since the game environment itself is no longer tailored to Skarner's flavor of champion (invincible resist tanks).

Macehelix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-29-2013

Ulting the enemy carry into your team is definitely a given in terms of most fun, but also being able to intimidate enemies as if you could flash ult them at any time.

For me, it's really annoying when you're chasing someone, about to catch them, and the shield giving you movespeed falls off or gets broken. Having to rely completely on the shield to catch enemies isn't very fun.

If Skarner gets fed, he just becomes an immovable object. Skarner isn't that frustrating to play against other than that.

Definitely Hecarim. They've always been easy to compare to each other because of their kits, but Hecarim's ult is more disrupting than Skarner's, and his movespeed is more consistant.
Another side to look at is that his ult is similar to Blitzcrank and Thresh pulls, the trade-off is that Skarner's is targeted, but he has to physically move the enemy himself, rather than just pulling them into the team automatically.
He's also very similar to Udyr, in that they both are tanky champions who charge into the enemy team, the difference being that Udyr has a low cooldown stun, and can acquire a slow similar to skarner's from items.

In Season 2, Skarner was my go-to whenever I would jungle, but he's just fallen out of favor in comparison to newer champions. I really like the interaction that his passive provides, reducing his cooldowns, but it is difficult to make the best out of it in many situations. I'm in no way an expert Skarner player, but here are some changes I would suggest.

I agree that his q makes for no counterplay with the permaslow it provides, but I don't like the idea of it alternating on uses very much. Maybe instead his e could be worked into the slowing aspect; maybe if his q normally slowed a little bit (maybe 10% or 15%), then hitting an enemy marked by his e with his q would trigger a larger slow. Or maybe the q has a lower slow originally, and he slows them more while he has his shield up.

Skarner's w is his main source of mobility, and even though I don't like it, I see why the move speed buff falling off is justified. The only suggestion I have for this spell would be a reactivation effect: breaking the shield and giving Skarner a short burst of speed in return.

I could imagine many things for his e to do rather than (or maybe in addition to) him healing; like if skarner hit an enemy marked by his e while he had his shield up then it could recharge some of his shield and give a speed boost. Or if Skarner would leap towards (but not all the way to, in case they get out of range) an enemy marked with his e with his next auto attack.

As for his ultimate, I think that enemies shouldn't be able to flash out of it before he finishes casting, reverting it back to how it was before the change. In my opinion, players shouldn't be able to flash to escape it once Skarner starts the spell, the same way that someone trying to flash out of Malzahar's ultimate still gets suppressed at their new location. I would suggest that the cooldown be lowered as well, bu that is probably taking it too far.

Wyl

07-29-2013

What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

His Ultimate feels really satisfying, and he's a cool monster with an interesting story and personality.. Can do objectives like Dragon easily due to his low Shield CD with a blue.

What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?

Not only does his E feels underwhelming, I don't feel like it really has a place in his kit. Also, I dislike the perma-slow that sometimes happen with his Q, it does feel strong, but it feels abusive. The heavy Mana costs are also quite annoying, especially early when he doesn't even have that much power to justify it.

What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
Perma-slow. You can't really keep in mind the Cooldown on his Ultimate (because of his passive), but that's minor and I think healthy for the character's sake. Brings in the surprise factor

Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?

The other nasty single target "incapaciter" would be Rammus, they are comparable, but Rammus does have a better Jungle clear. Now if we get a bit away from the strict role to role comparison, I'd say Sejuani can do what he does way better just because she has a gap closer, and multiple AoE CC's while he needs to run up to the target and has a small ranged AoE slow, granted he does run fast.

Now here's what I proposed in my Champion fixes and changes thread for him :

Quote:
Skarner
  • Crystal Slash, when charged, will deal 75% of the initial damage as bonus Magic damage (18/27/36/45/54 from 24/36/48/60/72).
  • Increase AP ratio on charged Crystal Slash to 0,6 from 0,4.
  • Crystal Slash costs 50% less Mana when not charged.
  • Improve Attack Frame, especially after using Crystal Slash.
  • Fracture will proc Energize if it kills an unit.
  • Impale first damage portion deals True Damage rather than Magic Damage.
  • Increase Impale's Cooldown to 140/130/120 from 130/120/110.

[CENTER]Explanations :

1-3) Crystal Slash feels very powerful while also feeling very anti-fun and much disappointing if we look at the Mana costs. If you chase an enemy, especially at lower levels, odds are too great that he won't escape you just because you have that perma-slow-low-cooldown-bursts. These changes will also allow Skarner to solo top a bit better. And have better reason to use a damage-focused build.

4) Unresponsive and/or slow.

5) The spell feels like it was made so Skarner could Solo Top, but since his Mana costs are dramatically high for the Mana pool and Mana Regeneration he has, he can't really Solo Top effectively. This will create a Deception source that could create more possibilities.

6) Ain't that sting supposed to go through everything O_O ? On a serious, will make the damage perceptible which will be great to allow him to lane.

7) His ultimate is pretty strong because of the suppress and that comes like this because of how fast you can have it available through Energize. [/CENTER]
Now this is really outdated and far fetched now that I look at it closely haha, but there are still some good points in there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The above thing was to preserve his actual kit. However, here's what I'd really love :

Energize : I'd just like that if you deal the killing blow with a spell it will also reduce its Cooldowns by 0,5 on Minions, 1 on Champs/big monsters, because it feels bad to clear wave if it's not going to help you. I do understand that the Ultimate's Cooldown will need to be increased substantially, but I think it'd be worth it. Fine otherwise.

Crystal Slash : Doesn't slow anymore. The spell will work as such : first wave will leave a Mark and deal physical damage, the second wave will proc the Mark, heal Skarner for an amount, and deal bonus Magic Damage (it's thus MIXED Damage).

Crystalline Exoskeleton : Pretty much the same, even though I feel the duration/Cooldown could be reduced a bit, and ratio or base amount increased a tad.

Fracture : Instead of a linear skillshot that does little heal and little damage, add the slow portion on it. Also make it better looking, maybe a bit like Sand King's Burrowstrike in DotA ? It will reduce the frustration of the perma slow on Q, add more ties to the kit, and really make it more satisfying.

Impale : Fine as it is, damage is a bit low for the risk though IMO, minor issue though.

Azureblade1

07-29-2013

Most fun aspects.
Post 6 ganking is incredibly fun, and very fulfilling. (More so when you could deny flashes and blinks with your ultimate.)

Being constantly kited by permaslows. E feels clunky and fairly useless due to the mana cost.
-Possibly have Skarner reduce slow effects or make him immune to them while his W shield is active.

If you happen to get caught in melee against skarner it is very hard to escape if you don't have a blink and flash is on cd. Besides that, well if you got in melee range of skarner it's probably your fault anyways.

Well let's see we have to define skarners jobs.

Skarners kits possesses a few things.
AoE Slow
Sustain
A single target surpress

So here's a few champs that come to mind that I feel does skarners job better. (With my reasoning behind it.)

Zac: WAAY higher sustain, no mana costs (health costs instead) and 3 forms of AoE CC. An AoE slow (though not constant like skarners) and two knockups. Not too mention the incredibly long range engages that Skarner couldn't even dream of.

Vi: Though she has fallen out of favor she does an excellent job at catching out a single person and setting them up for death. Between your Q and R, Vi does fairly significant damage while having decent enough lock down for a team to catch up. So why do I say she does her job better than Skarner? 1) She can catch her opponent and 2) She does more damage in both single target and AoE.

Xin Zhao: Sustain is equal if not better. He has excellent single target catching capabilities and a low CD gap closer to help prevent him from being kited. His E is an AoE slow as well as being a gap closer and his Ultimate scatters the entire enemy team while keeping the priority target exactly where Xin wants him.

Jarvan IV: Signicant gap closer, AoE slow, and lockdown ultimate that can trap many carries (Especially if their blink is down). Only downside he has is low sustain but his team fight presence from his E and W as well as the armor shred from his Q is enough to make up for it.

Nasus: Wither is a great single target lockdown particularly of ADCs. He has natural lifesteal so plenty of sustain, and his ultimate causes a lot of natural damage during team fights while making him tankier. He can also have a problem of getting kited but because his main lock down is ranged, it's not as apparent.

There are many more champions that do Skarners job better but these were the first few that I thought of.

My biggest suggestion for Skarner? Revert the change to his ultimate allowing him to grab people after blinking (or change it so no ones abilities work like that, like singed fling). And completely change his E, while having sustain is nice, this ability goes almost unnoticed on Skarner as he clears fast enough that his Shield will keep him at near full health throughout an entire camp.

Perhaps make his E a 10-14 second CD single target skill shot stun.

Paralyzing Venom
CD: 14/13/12/11/10
Mana Cost: ???
Stun Duration: 1.5 Sec
Skarner launches venom from his tail in a small line, paralyzing the first enemy champion that it comes in contact with.
The duration of the stun could actually increase the closer skarner is to his target. (He is able to land more of the venom on the person). 2.5 seconds for a pointblank stun, .5 seconds for a max range?

MKDkilla

07-29-2013

Quote:
Another thing to keep in mind, Skarner has very low play rate and sub 50% win rate right now. There is no intention of nerfing him.
Whatever happens, don't make his ganks reliant around landing his E. The range TBH is deceiving, and it's pretty narrow as well. His E should not give him any type of buff, unless you intend of making it more spammable. For that reason, the attack speed buff should stay on his shield, but just remake the E, or actually make it a threat in the first place.

I think you should consider giving it an AD ratio along with an AP ratio. This way, he will benefit from more hybrid stats like he was always meant to have.

Kawaii Tsumugi

07-29-2013

What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
1. He can stick to most anyone, and is great at doing so
2. His obserd mana costs
3. There really are none
4. Most other junglers, they do what Skarner does but in an AoE (Zac, Vi, Sej,etc)
I feel like the biggest change would have to be to his E. Skarner being my 3rd most played champ, his E is useless in the jungle, the mana cost is too high and it's really not worth the mana.

Pyundai

07-29-2013

I enjoyed his speed, he was a very fast paced champion in season 2. This allowed him to burst through front lines in teamfights and grab stupid AD or AP carries with those pesky dashes and flashes. He was also a great tank, he provided for his team, especially early. He WAS also the answer to the terrifying mobility creep, although that is now not the case.
Right now, I cannot function properly in teamfights. I lack the items I need to be tanky, and there are too many ways to get kited to make it to the back line in team fights. In the early game, the ultimate change seems totally unfair, champions with dashes and flashes *cough* Ezreal *cough* make his ganks pretty much useless unless you have certain champions in a lane that provide enough cc to where Skarner isn't reliant on his ult. Why is that fun? His ult cannot bypass flashes and dashes, while Singed and Volibears fling both do and are on WAY shorter cooldowns, albeit they are for less range and time, it still isn't fair.
Yes. Being forced to buy QSS after Skarner has ganked your lane over and over again, or being unable to get away from his scary ult late game. It really isn't that frustrating, there are so many ways to kite him, and with the new itemization I just think he is rather squishy.
I felt like Vi for a long time in early season 3 was just 100% better than Skarner in every aspect. Better early game dueler for counterjungling/invading, just as good ganking pre-6, better ganks post-6 because QSS and Flash shut down Skarner completely, while Vi and her very similar ult were just totally better. Her damage was twice that of Skarner's. Right now, I feel like Jarvan is the better Skarner. His E-Q early can be compared to Skarners permaslow, IMO it's better due to the range. He has a shield which slows enemies rather then speeds him up, really similar. He has a great passive for damage, and also gives back to the team with his E aura. His ult is very similar to Skarners, it can lock down enemies, but a flash or dash can bypass it. I think Jarvan's range is better than Skarners, and his crucial early jungling is also better than Skarner.

As for presence in team fight, this is strange, but I feel like Singed takes Skarner's place. Singed does like 5 times the damage Skarner does, his innate tankiness is better than Skarner's (Singed's passive and Ult, to Skarners crummy W). Singed is a better choice for back line penetration, as his slow and fling are more difficult to shut down than a Skarner ult. Singed is just way better in team fights...

Gazow

07-29-2013

Q spaming people with permaslow!

getting cc'd when trying to ult people, playing with a ryze on the enemy team is a night mare, never get ult off just rune prisond all day.... i think if skarner had an ultimate that was activated once, that gave him a small CC imunity for 1-2 seconds but would eat his ultimate if he still wasnt able to grab anyone he would be a bit more risk/reward
-also his E is garbage tier its really frustrationg to even have to spend points into at lv 18 it is beyond useless

none right now really, his ult is annoying, but that is only if you position badly enough to get caught

warwick, that says a lot- his Supression ult usually kills the target because it also does dmg

DeanKeaton259

07-29-2013

Quote:
Another thing to keep in mind, Skarner has very low play rate and sub 50% win rate right now. There is no intention of nerfing him.
The only good thing he has right now is the permaslow on his q. If you remove that he will be completely useless. The changes you have suggested to his other abilities are not buffs. They are either nerfs or changes that don't give Skarner any additional power.

Basically, your suggestions as a whole only weaken Skarner further.

One of the major problems with Skarner is that he is almost completely defined by his ultimate.

My suggestion would be to completely scrap his current E. Give him a new ability in place of it that synergizes better with the rest of his kit.

The optimal way to play Skarner has always been to completely ignore putting points into E until you are forced to. And even then, the ability is so bad that it has almost always been seen as a waste of mana and not even worth casting since Skarner runs out of mana so quickly.

TLDR: I suggest you lower all of Skarner's cooldowns, scrap his current E ability, and give him a new E ability that synergizes better with his kit.