Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

encyclopedea

02-10-2014

Right now, the rework is unplayable. All they have to do to make it playable (although not good, playable is a start) is some simple changes: the promised mana reductions, and making the E not have a cast time.

They said that the rework was meant to bring Skarner up to date, but lets look at a few things: most junglers now either have strong gap closers, high burst, or ranged hard cc, and sometimes all 3 (Elise....). What did Skarner have before? Meh gapcloser, high sustained damage (but little burst), and high CC if you did get in range. What does Skarner have now? Meh gapcloser (arguably worse, because you can't suddenly come out of nowhere, you have a ramp-up time now), high sustained damage (but even less burst), not very strong soft ranged CC, and strong 1.75 one target CC. So what were the overall changes? Skarner is able to get in range, but deals considerably less damage at first, and is only able to capitalize on his damage after being in range for much longer. He's also weaker early game (outside of the jungle) and very item dependent.

Exsavereah1

02-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by encyclopedea View Post
Right now, the rework is unplayable. All they have to do to make it playable (although not good, playable is a start) is some simple changes: the promised mana reductions, and making the E not have a cast time.

They said that the rework was meant to bring Skarner up to date, but lets look at a few things: most junglers now either have strong gap closers, high burst, or ranged hard cc, and sometimes all 3 (Elise....). What did Skarner have before? Meh gapcloser, high sustained damage (but little burst), and high CC if you did get in range. What does Skarner have now? Meh gapcloser (arguably worse, because you can't suddenly come out of nowhere, you have a ramp-up time now), high sustained damage (but even less burst), not very strong soft ranged CC, and strong 1.75 one target CC. So what were the overall changes? Skarner is able to get in range, but deals considerably less damage at first, and is only able to capitalize on his damage after being in range for much longer. He's also weaker early game (outside of the jungle) and very item dependent.

as a jungler yes the changes make no sence i was expecting more but as a lane skarner wouldent they be small buffs? either way when they said they were reworking eve she got REMADE when they said karma she was REMADE when they said yi REMADE xerath? REMADE everyspell they had we remade!!!!. they say skarner? all spells are the same with slight difernces... lol what?

encyclopedea

02-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exsavereah1 View Post
as a jungler yes the changes make no sence i was expecting more but as a lane skarner wouldent they be small buffs? either way when they said they were reworking eve she got REMADE when they said karma she was REMADE when they said yi REMADE xerath? REMADE everyspell they had we remade!!!!. they say skarner? all spells are the same with slight difernces... lol what?
It slightly increases his jungle speed at early levels, cause u dont have to have the shield up all the time for the atk speed. In lane, however, he has to spam more (and go oom faster), and gets less out of it. In every game that I tested the Skarner rework top on PBE, I seriously just pushed lane and backed every time I got into lane, until I got some mana items (during the lanes I lost, I just sat at turret and threw out an E or 2 for some CS). He also doesn't have the sustain from his E, which means that he is nowhere near as viable in lane.

Karede

02-10-2014

Can anybody fill me in on what I'm missing with Skarner clearing jungle camps? He's pretty darn fast at clearing them in the jungle already...

Why would I give up a permaslow for better jungle clear when I'm already one of the fastest jungles? ..... .... W T F is with this crappy rework?

Shahamut

02-12-2014

Hey guys! Guess what?! The new Skarner "rework" is out and... I STILL HAVENT SEEN HIM IN A RANKED GAME YET!

zrevenge

02-12-2014

havent seen him anywhere. everyone knows now this "rework" is kinda bad
im not saying its ALL bad, riot didnt want perma slow so they transfered power, COULD have been good. but plz riot, im BEGGING you
do what EVERYONE wants and make it so i can:
A: cast e while moving. if feels MUCH to clunky and useless right now. its easy to dodge and the slow doesnt make up for you stoping just to cast
B: mana reductions. holy snap, i should RUN OUT OF MANA with blue and spirit stone clearing camps, i just..shouldnt. i dont even get that much hp back..
C: slight buffs needed all around really, but if you do anything bring back the heal. I know whoever does the numbers thinks the jungle items will make up for the missing heal but it doesnt. If we compare him to, say, eve, he has less damage and utility to make up for having no sustain in the jungle

;-; plz buff skarner

Piconoe

02-12-2014

The only issue I have with the rework is how they ganked his Q. It's nice that he has a slow still, but the most fun aspect about him was chasing and just slow spamming for days. Now if you gank pre-6, they just get away scott free. Sure, you can speed up with W and still stick to them, but that's pretty moot if the guy you're ganking for can't catch up as well. Not sure if the attack speed and bonus damage with high stacks makes up for the smaller window you have to deal said damage before they just lol into their tower and fend you off.

I mean, he has a nice R and every (okay, a very VERY nice R. Like holy **** is it beautiful), but he needs something to contribute for the next 110 seconds, and it used to be CC for days. Not sure if his damage is better now, but he doesn't contribute much to teamfights anymore now that his slow has been hard nerfed.

Normally I'm fine with nerfs, but the entire point of the rework from what I hear was to get people to use him, not to balance an OP champion. He wasn't OP seeing as nobody used him, so this nerf will do nothing but make people use him even less.

Venowolf

02-12-2014

Increase the % of the slows in the E can help?

Vicvictorw

02-12-2014

They didn't really "rework" Skarner so much as straight nerf him across the board.

Q no longer slows the target. Now Skarner, who wasn't exactly known for gapclosing, can't punish people who get too close. They take the E once, and typically that slow's worn off and they're out of range before he can even get a second Q stack, assuming the slow was even sufficient enough to hit them once. E's cooldown is too large. He can't hit things to reduce the cooldown on it if he can't catch things. By the time E wears off and they're getting away, you still have a good 15 seconds of cooldown on it.

For some reason they thought Skarner's W needed a windup to reach top speed. Why? Pre-rework he already struggled to catch people. All this change did was make that task even harder.

Losing the heal on E really hurt his sustain. That heal, however small, made it possible for him to duel things.

Skarner is now -entirely- dependent on his R to be effective, but the cooldown is still just as large as it was, and can't be reduced as easily because Q takes forever to ramp up attack speed.

If you build attack speed to compensate, he has neither damage or tankiness. Frozen Mallet or Iceborne Gauntlet are far too expensive considering they're about the only items that can make Skarner feel useful again. He can't get that kind of gold unless he hardcore farms the jungle, because he's certainly not going to get any successful ganks in pre-6 with no slowing power.

Skarner is now an inferior Rammus. This is not a good thing.

Ideas for fixing him:

• Rollback the change. < my vote
  • Have Q stacks increase based on number of targets hit. Q a group, instant attack speed.
  • Have Q stacks fall off one at a time. Moving from one jungle camp to another currently, you lose all of that attack speed.
  • Significantly reduce E's cooldown. I'm thinking Mundo cleavers. Consistently land it and they can't get away.

Shahamut

02-12-2014

Skarner's perma slow is bad!!

But you can buy an Iceborn Gauntlet, or a Frozen Mallet, or a Rylias...

Yeah, nerf city.

No slow on Q, crappy stacking attack speed buff.

Marginally faster speed on W that is completely ruined by ramp up speed.

Crappy 2.5 second slow on a 14 second cooldown ability. Terrible missle speed, reduced width.