Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

encyclopedea

02-07-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorithal View Post
They're still taking forever on that Xerath rework they mentioned last year.

At least they tell people what's going on with the Xerath rework. RiotScruffy stopped responding to feedback LONG ago.

And now Scruffy's working on the Rengar rework.... not to hate on Rengar lovers, but I'd like to see Scruffy finish what he started before he goes and works on something else. If he could handle both at the same time, I would have no problem; however, he's NOT handling it.

Shahamut

02-08-2014

Quote:
Scruffy,

I welcome any improvements to Skarner and would love to see his rework make its appearance. If you are indeed still keeping up with this thread, I had some suggestions to improve his kit (pre-rework). I currently play Skarner on a regular basis even though he is not quite on par with other champs, simply because he is just so fun to play.

Pre-rework comments

W - Crystalline Exoskeleton
Instead of the attack speed and movement speed buff disappearing as soon as the shield is popped, why not let the buffs persist for the full 6 seconds regardless of how long the shield lasts? Skarner would be able to survive a burst from his target while maintaining the MS/AS buffs to close the gap.

E - Fracture
Instead of having E consist of a cast time, why not enable it to be insta-cast? Like Eve's Hate Spike or Jinx's Flame Chompers, Skarner would still be mobile while casting this skill. It fits more with his always-mobile, always-chasing play style.

- - - - - - -

Post-rework comments

I love the ideas you have in mind for the rework. Those who complain about losing the slow on Skarner's Q can simply work a Rylai's into their build (it's a great item on Skarner anyway, but the changes make it even more essential). Those who complain about losing the heal can work a life-steal item into their build (Hydra comes to mind for jungle clearing especially). I don't know if spell vamp would work, but I suppose it is worth investigating...

Overall, I like the changes. One suggestion to the rework would be to consider my suggestion for making Skarner's E have zero cast time.

Thanks for all the hard work and dedication you put into this great game.

Cheers,
~cat
The problem with your suggestion is that it forces skarner to HAVE to buy Rylia's or and IBG to be able to stick to a target. Both of those items are NOT cheap. So you wont even be a competitor until late game, if you can get enough farm.

Skarner doesn't have any kind of way to close the gap and stay there. I would be willing to work with this "rework" only under some very specific changes:

1)Make the attack speed buff on Q passive. I can't stress this enough. Outside of the jungle, this 3 stack garbage just doesn't fly. And last I checked, I don't win games by eating jungle monsters, I do it by fighting champions and taking turrets. I would take a passive 10/15/20/25/30% over the stacking one anyday.

2)Give him some real damage on Q. Since he can't stick to you right away, how about making his Q damage a bit more impactful? Give bonus physical damage equal to like 60% of his TOTAL AD. Then increase the AP ratio to 50%.

3)Remove the ramp up speed on W. Just make it a flat increase. OR if that is just not "dynamic" enough, make it start really high for 3 secs and let it drop off. You need the speed in the first 3 seconds, not the second 3. Most of the time, even with the buffed shield, it doesn't last longer than 3 seconds anyway.

4)Add some ACTUAL sustain replacement on the W. Either with a passive AR/MR bonus per rank (you could double it while the shield is active?) or adding some health regen while the shield is active. Have it based on missing health so it scales all the way through the game. One or both of those would be good.

5)The slow needs to last a LOT longer. Currently, 2.5 seconds doesn't even let me get to them from max range. Then I have to wait HOW LONG to slow them again? Again, no sticking power. Also, add some damage to that skill shot.

6)The missle speed is currently a joke. Put it back.

7)REDUCE HIS MANA COSTS.

This would make the rework a lot scarier. Scary enough to fight more than just monsters.

Seshouki

02-08-2014

i love riot foccus and how they take 6 months to do something that should take 2

Russian Wolf

02-08-2014

I feel like Skarner's ult is out of place in late game teamfights. In the League of CC, it's not easy to get to the adc or the apc without being stunned for 92 seconds.

I feel like his ult has almost no late game potential on an even skill base between you and the opponent.

JupiterMan213

02-08-2014

I am a regular player of LoL starting back just before S3 started, and have always wanted to play Skarner. I recently bought him due to the fact that a rework for him is coming, and I'm really excited. I wanted to contribute some of my ideas to his rework. I only have a suggestion for his E but here goes.

His E could deal the same damage that it currently does, and all of the scaling would stay. The healing effect is what I am after. His E could cause crystallization on all enemies hit, and mark them. If Skarner attacks them, then 5 small crystals break off and scatter a short distance, and upon pickup heal Skarner. They cannot be destroyed and fade away after 3-4 seconds. The healing would be slightly reduced and split among the fragments, resulting in about 4 health each at level 1, and continue the scaling of 2/3 the current base heal at each level. However, if it kills the targets hit, the target totally crystallizes, and shortly after exploding, releases double the amount of crystals. Also, the E would become an insta-cast.

This I believe would make his E viable, and the use of it early would cost extra mana, which would counteract the seemingly increased heal.

This could solve the problem of people saying that he has a useless skill, but not quite sure of how the community will react to the idea of him using more mana in the early phases of the game. These are just my thoughts, so please don't hate on this first-time poster. Thank you for reading this possible E rework.

NOTE: This rework possibility works with the current Skarner. This does not go along with some of the things that are present in his PBE rework.

Sightless66

02-09-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterMan213 View Post
I am a regular player of LoL starting back just before S3 started, and have always wanted to play Skarner. I recently bought him due to the fact that a rework for him is coming, and I'm really excited. I wanted to contribute some of my ideas to his rework. I only have a suggestion for his E but here goes.

His E could deal the same damage that it currently does, and all of the scaling would stay. The healing effect is what I am after. His E could cause crystallization on all enemies hit, and mark them. If Skarner attacks them, then 5 small crystals break off and scatter a short distance, and upon pickup heal Skarner. They cannot be destroyed and fade away after 3-4 seconds. The healing would be slightly reduced and split among the fragments, resulting in about 4 health each at level 1, and continue the scaling of 2/3 the current base heal at each level. However, if it kills the targets hit, the target totally crystallizes, and shortly after exploding, releases double the amount of crystals. Also, the E would become an insta-cast.

This I believe would make his E viable, and the use of it early would cost extra mana, which would counteract the seemingly increased heal.

This could solve the problem of people saying that he has a useless skill, but not quite sure of how the community will react to the idea of him using more mana in the early phases of the game. These are just my thoughts, so please don't hate on this first-time poster. Thank you for reading this possible E rework.

NOTE: This rework possibility works with the current Skarner. This does not go along with some of the things that are present in his PBE rework.
The reason people don't use the skill isn't because it doesn't do damage or doesn't heal enough. As far as base values go, it's perfectly fine. The reasons people don't use the skill early is because it already costs way too much mana when Skarner is already very mana hungry, and a second point in the shield is significantly more useful for ganking. It just doesn't do what you need a skill to do in the early game. Your proposal might buff the E a bit, but it won't make people skill the skill before level 8 or 13

Mormpooid

02-09-2014

just fixing the ult would be very good rework

Sightless66

02-10-2014

http://beta.lol.garena.ph/contentNew...at=COMPETITIVE

This appears to be the patch notes. Note that the Skarner rework is keeping the nerfed values. No mana cost buffs. Less total movement at early levels of the W. Long cooldown on the E.

Whatever. Overall, nothing changed. Skarner was bad before this patch, Skarner will be bad after this patch, and the only thing I'm really disappointed in is that I didn't see it coming from the start.

Maelstrom51

02-10-2014

This rework is terrible. The removal of permaslow, and having his damage and movement speed ramp up is going to kill him. Really, the only positive change in this rework is the ult fix.

The changes to E do not matter. The slow has such a short duration and such a long cooldown that it takes longer to reach the target than they are slowed for. And, if you happen to get into range, you have nothing to stay in range sans your ultimate.

I'm really surprised this rework is going through. Pretty much straight nerfs to an already unpopular champion.

Shahamut

02-10-2014

Bump!