Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Shahamut

12-21-2013

So, they updated his abilities (mostly) on the website... When is this change taking place? I want it to happen already so I can cry and be done with it.

Karede

12-23-2013

Skarner's frequency of being picked: 1.11%

Skarner's win rate when picked 47.59%

Skarner's frequency of being banned 0.13%

Good thing they nerfed him right? Those stats are straight up OP. Only one guy is picked less than Skarner: Urgot.

I am still scratching my head wondering why Riot felt like they had to nerf this champ. Boggles my freakin mind.

Reepca

12-23-2013

After playing Skarner a little, I've noted a few things.
-The upcoming rework in which the AS buff is moved to Q is huge for jungle skarner. Not only does the W shield quickly get broken and the AS buff is no longer useful, but it's also quite a mana sink. Now Skarner's early jungle clearing is even more super-fast because the Q which you're maxing first now also gives the AS buff.
-If you build a hybrid bruiser Skarner, stacking mostly resistances and healing like gunblade + rageblade, the E not only does respectable damage, but it also does decent healing. At full build, an E + Q on a minion wave can heal for well over 300 health.
-As amazing as Skarner's Q permaslow was/is for long chases, moving the slow to the E gives him more gapclosing capability when he can't just immediately get into range and begin the permaslow. It also makes IBG a better/more viable item on Skarner.
-The shield causing acceleration rather than a flat speed buff just feels like a ripoff of Rammus.

Summary: I feel like most people underestimate Skarner's E, because they build him full tank/utility and don't scale at all. The damage / heal is respectable with a somewhat AP-oriented build. Taken from the wiki: MAX HEAL: 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+ 60% AP). I feel like the E heal should be kept. Moving the slow to the E could help in many situations, and keeping the heal and having the strong slow on the E could make it a viable early max, instead of just always Q->W. The lack of needing to use W for the AS buff in the jungle will help a lot with early clearing and not running out of mana.

Karede

12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reepca View Post
After playing Skarner a little, I've noted a few things.
-The upcoming rework in which the AS buff is moved to Q is huge for jungle skarner. Not only does the W shield quickly get broken and the AS buff is no longer useful, but it's also quite a mana sink. Now Skarner's early jungle clearing is even more super-fast because the Q which you're maxing first now also gives the AS buff.
Two things: His jungle clear was already amazing, who cares if it got better? They helped him out with his mana costs, which is the one thing they did right, so the mana doesn't matter anymore.

Quote:
-If you build a hybrid bruiser Skarner, stacking mostly resistances and healing like gunblade + rageblade, the E not only does respectable damage, but it also does decent healing. At full build, an E + Q on a minion wave can heal for well over 300 health.
-As amazing as Skarner's Q permaslow was/is for long chases, moving the slow to the E gives him more gapclosing capability when he can't just immediately get into range and begin the permaslow. It also makes IBG a better/more viable item on Skarner.
-The shield causing acceleration rather than a flat speed buff just feels like a ripoff of Rammus.
If you are building anything but one damage item on Skarner and then going tanky, you are either gonna get blown to pieces as soon as the fight starts or you are 2-3 levels ahead of everybody. There are other champs for that, if that's what you wanna build.

More gapclose? Ok fine. What are you gonna do once you close the gap? Plus, with the movement speed Skarner has, you shouldn't be needing more gapclose. What you need is something to do once you get there, and they are taking that away from him.

Quote:
Summary: I feel like most people underestimate Skarner's E, because they build him full tank/utility and don't scale at all. The damage / heal is respectable with a somewhat AP-oriented build. Taken from the wiki: MAX HEAL: 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+ 60% AP). I feel like the E heal should be kept. Moving the slow to the E could help in many situations, and keeping the heal and having the strong slow on the E could make it a viable early max, instead of just always Q->W. The lack of needing to use W for the AS buff in the jungle will help a lot with early clearing and not running out of mana.
Again, they helped him out with the mana problem. It costs a lot less to spam your q. This is just a flat out nerf with a mana fix.

encyclopedea

12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahamut View Post
So, they updated his abilities (mostly) on the website... When is this change taking place? I want it to happen already so I can cry and be done with it.
Just checked that out, it is on there. Hopefully it's unintended. If it isn't.... the rework itself was already enough of a nerf to Skarner. The numbers they have on the website are lower than the last numbers stated in this thread. Skarner will be unplayable if Riot keeps this up.

Sightless66

12-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by encyclopedea View Post
Just checked that out, it is on there. Hopefully it's unintended. If it isn't.... the rework itself was already enough of a nerf to Skarner. The numbers they have on the website are lower than the last numbers stated in this thread. Skarner will be unplayable if Riot keeps this up.
Yeah, {{ e5 }}% movement speed sure is less than I thought it would be. I'm thinking the posted "numbers" probably aren't final. They don't even have the mana cost buffs that were a core part of the rework.

Shahamut

12-25-2013

So, Im curious:

Is the new Skarner release going to come with a NEW champion spotlight? And if so, is it going to be one that doesn't have him dying 3x and saying, "worth"? :P

Shahamut

12-25-2013

Also, why isn't there a Santa Claws skin for Skarner on Christmas?

Let Me Nidalee

12-25-2013

As of right now:
http://www.lolking.net/charts?region...r&queue=normal
Skarner is the least played champion.
But hey, hopefully he'll be more played :/

Shahamut

12-27-2013

Skarner is only the least picked champ because I am a responsible adult with a wife and kids! :P