Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Genius Farmer

10-24-2013

Man i thought i was the only one who played skarner in season 3, WOOT NOT ALONE!!!
and yeah i play him top, not so great in the jungle with shaco, lee, and etc on the loose

Oh and to answer the question from OP, i find that his early game is weak and doesn't pay off as well late game compared to many others like tryn, wu (debatable i know), etc

Maybe you could like lower his mana costs or something? cuz he's ALWAYS OOM TOP LANE

WuteverEU

10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2ZOMG View Post
There's a lot of junglers that can outmaneuver Skarner despite losing to him in duels. Lee Sin, Jarvan, Elise, and Vi all have ways to escape Skarner even though they can't usually fight him directly. Only bad junglers can't run from Skarner.

I don't know where you get that Skarner's durability got any worse. The values on his shield alone mean that Skarner is much more likely to be able to pick fights at high health because he takes a lot less damage from camps. And while he does lose out on a permaslow against bad junglers (you get one anyway from Red Buff), his E gives him more options for chasing, poking, and kiting through the fog of war, giving him more positioning options.
Lee needs wards, J4 is J4, Elise needs to Rappel to something, Vi can and WILL get blocked by a decent Skarner. Obviously they can run, but a perpetual slow does wonders to that, especially if they used their skills during the fight or to start the fight. There's obviously ways to outmaneuver a Skarner, but you still need to watch yourself.

His durability is substantially lower mid- and lategame where E was actually very useful. Also, you will not be getting Q and W only. You absolutely NEED at least 1 rank in E. This means your W will be 1 rank lower than normal at the very least. Thus, a direct hit to his durability is achieved even early game by dilluting his kit. Just in case you wondered, that's 40 HP less than on live, which also means your W speed boost is made of paper for a good part of early game. The shorter W cooldown may or may not come into play, depending on the length of the fight, obviously.

Also, did you seriously just compare a 20 - 40% AoE slow that is always there to red buff?

Rejuvination

10-24-2013

vi locks someone down much more effectively.

Lord Mordor

10-24-2013

Scruffy, don't get to lost with the negativity regarding this one. I've been a Skarner player since release, even back when his Q had a stupid mana cost.

I like having a permanent AS buff compared to one that basically doesn't exist half the time
I like the MS being better and a more powerful shield
I like having the ult root

and most of all, I like having the option of a ranged slow, thereby giving him an actual forth ability. People can complain all they want, but E being so worthless early was not good. The health sustain he loses will be fixed by a stronger shield that will be up more often...not only due to 4s lower CD, but because his passive will be proc'ing far more often because his AS buff isn't tied to it

Permaslow will still exist...grab a Iceborn.
it used to be mostly redundant on him because old Q slow did its job already and you didn't notice its slow. Now its perfect for him. Especially since he benefits even more from AP now due to shield.

A2ZOMG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuteverEU View Post
There's obviously ways to outmaneuver a Skarner, but you still need to watch yourself.
Lee can simply Q ANYTHING far away and get a free escape just to clarify. Furthermore, this was sorta my original point. A built in permaslow is sorta overrated in jungle duels earlygame. An Evelyn that jumps you with her E is ALMOST CERTAINLY going to kill you despite the fact she lacks crowd control. Skarner likewise murders people in the jungle almost entirely because he has the damage to do so. Same goes for Udyr who is kited easily and only has a 1 second stun to hold people in place, but still murders a lot of people in the jungle.

Losing a permaslow seems lame at first, but having more reliable steroids and ways to close the gap and capitalize in a short period of time are things that Skarner has more options for now.

Quote:
His durability is substantially lower mid- and lategame where E was actually very useful. Also, you will not be getting Q and W only. You absolutely NEED at least 1 rank in E. This means your W will be 1 rank lower than normal at the very least. Thus, a direct hit to his durability is achieved even early game by dilluting his kit. Just in case you wondered, that's 40 HP less than on live, which also means your W speed boost is made of paper for a good part of early game. The shorter W cooldown may or may not come into play, depending on the length of the fight, obviously.

Also, did you seriously just compare a 20 - 40% AoE slow that is always there to red buff?
I'm not sure I agree with this. Assuming you can attack champions three times in between cooldowns, a 300 base shield every 5 seconds is about 60 effective HP per second. A 250 base shield every ~8 seconds + 90 healing every 3 seconds is about the same, but this costs you more mana and is also hindered by Ignite. In fact because Skarner is not dependent on his shield for steroids in the new update, this means that he's actually coming out ahead in this iteration given destroying his shield no longer cripples his attack speed.

Then again, to be fair, Skarner's new E is so good right now, you'll be maxing that 2nd anyway. Barely costs anything, does pretty good damage, has good range, slows for a lot. So in a way, you can say his durability midgame is slightly lower, simply because his optimal skill order is different. But this means midgame his ganks have more burst damage too.

Who the hell cares that Skarner's Q is a stronger melee slow than red buff. You have to fundamentally catch someone off guard in melee range to make use of either. And both objectively let you stick to targets in the jungle easily. The difference now is that closing the gap is potentially easier and in case things look bad, you now have options for kiting which is REALLY IMPORTANT in a jungle duel.

DarmanOmegaMan

10-25-2013

I think, as I've been reading through this thread again, that I'm done with Skarner. The rework seems to remove most of skarner's unique sticking power for some better dueling. His dueling was fine and didn't need a buff and the sticking power was part of his character. New Skarner just seems wrong to me. I think most people wanted his ultimate fixed so it didn't fail to flash and wanted his E to do something remotely useful (outside of top lane). I really wish that's all that was changed but I guess I can move to champs like Sejuani for my sticking power fix.

Elmanbeastio

10-25-2013

Skarner on PBE:

Maxing E then W feels like the way to go. E's slow becomes stronger, W's movement speed becomes insane and the shield harder to break. Known issue, the cd on W didnt make it to PBE. (18 vs 14).

Q felt very lackluster but it works great with sheen/triforce. I got 1 point at lvl 1 and maxed it last. Its also cheaper on mana so its a very welcomed addition. More attack speed would be nice since its a stacking buff.

E is part of the E-R-E 7 second lockdown, which is INSANE.

E's lower missile width from the patch notes was deceiving at first, it felt reasonable to land and it goes through minions, his ganks pre 6 have improved drastically, since E always lasts 2.5 seconds and works great combined with red buff.

E's high spammability with cdr+attack speed+passive is very strong at clearing camps, wave clearing, shoving lanes, etc.

He feels a LOT faster clearing the jungle, because E's AoE helps clear things like wraiths SO easily while still spamming Q.

Hes a lot faster outside the jungle, because W is so much beefier and gives more MS.

Not sure about R's higher reliability, as flash+ult is such a popular strat, I couldnt really judge it. I guess Not having any issues with it is a sign that its working better, but I dont know of situations where it wouldnt have worked had it not been the new, more reliable version.

HawtPockets

10-26-2013

Will we be getting Battlecast Skarner released along with the Skarner kit change?

Shahamut

10-30-2013

*BUMP*

We havent been forgotten over here have we?

Fiercely Fuzzy

10-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by WuteverEU View Post
Thus, a direct hit to his durability is achieved even early game by dilluting his kit.
...Oh no, he has to put a point or two into another skill! Please, name me one champion that ignored one of their skills until level 13 besides Skarner.