Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sergeantpickle

10-21-2013

I, for one, do not miss Skarner. Middle lane was a terror to play in when he was popular. Only Rammus could be scarier...but Rammus doesn't do that much damage. The speed that they come out of that river bush is nightmare inducing.

Elewd

10-21-2013

anybody who put a point into skarners E before level 13 played skarner bad and should not comment on whether this is an overall buff or nerf.

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

10-21-2013
30 of 35 Riot Posts

PBE is updated and Skarner is out there for everyone to test. gogo play games!

SlVIR

10-21-2013

statikk being lazy with sivir pbe notes.

GET HIM SCRUFFY

A2ZOMG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2013

Okay, so did some jungle clear testing.

Skarner can hit level 4 by around 3:20. He can hit level 6 by around 5:50. Short story is his clear time is INSANE.

The mana cost reduction on Q is also pretty noticeable when farming the jungle without blue. You can sustain future clears reliably with the Spirit line of items, whereas previously clearing generally speaking took excessive resources from Skarner previously. It also means you can safely start Red Buff without being hurt too much, though Skarner's clear is strictly faster with blue.

I haven't tested this in a real game yet, but I imagine the optimal skill order would be max Q, take 2 points in W early for health sustain, and then max E for ganks.

His ganking is probably objectively worse without a permaslow, but in exchange has more applications given he can initiate it from more positions now. And he's overall a much stronger duelist with consistent uptime on his AS steroid while using his Q, not to mention his E actually lets him kite people now.

Locke64

10-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eludeasaurus View Post
Everything about skarner gets buffed.
Removes the heal to give him more power

OMGRIOT WHY YOU NERF SKARNER NOW HE USELESS YOU SUCK AT BALANCING GOD RIOT QUIT YOUR JOBS.

Honestly its a buff not a ****ing nerf, Stronger shield, stronger movespeed, stronger attackspeed, stronger slow, Higher scaling, Additional CC on ulti.
It's a buff on paper, but in practice it fundamentally changes his playstyle and shifts around his strengths and weaknesses in undesirable ways. People who like current skarner accept his kiteability as a balancing measure of counterplay for his up-close power. It's now easier for him to close the gap, but it's harder to keep it closed, taking away Skarner's unique power in exchange for more homogenized power. This makes the problem of "Skarner's good, but there are just so many other champions that do his job better now" even worse.

Irish Red Cap

10-21-2013

Can anyone on PBE give me some flat numbers on skarners abilities. Base damages, cooldowns, mana cost, ratios please?

Edit: also does his movement speed persist through the shield destruction, yes or no?

A2ZOMG

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Red Cap View Post
Can anyone on PBE give me some flat numbers on skarners abilities. Base damages, cooldowns, mana cost, ratios please?
Base damages were unchanged except on W, which shields for 5 more per rank and also has an increased ratio (.8). Q costs 4 less mana at all ranks. E costs 10 less mana at all ranks.

Q gives 4/5/6/7/8% attack speed per stack up to 3 stacks, meaning 12/15/18/21/24% when max stacked.

Lord Spartacus

10-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzokuken19 View Post
I'm just gonna throw in my 2c on a potential kit rework. I played Skarner quite a bit in S2, and I think this addresses some of his faults, as well as some of his overwhelming strengths. Feedback is more than welcome!

Passive: Energize - No changes needed. Skarner's passive is pretty simple, and that is fine.

Q: Crystal Slash - Active: Skarner deals physical damage to all enemies within range. If he hits any enemies, using Crystal Slash again within 5 seconds deals bonus magic damage and heals Skarner for a percentage of the damage dealt over a short period.

This shifts his sustain from his E to his Q. To compensate for the short cooldown, it is changed to a non-stacking HoT to prevent him from being an unkillable healmachine by spamming Q.

W: Crystalline Exoskeleton - Passive: Skarner gains Increased Attack Speed. Active: Skarner gains a shield that absorbs damage for 6 secs. While the shield is active, the passive effect of Crystalline Exoskeleton is doubled and Skarner gains increased movement speed. If the shield is destroyed prematurely, Skarner retains 50% of the effect of those bonuses for 2 Secs.

By moving some of the damage from the active, you reduce the weird dichotomy of having a defensive/escape tool that is also an offensive steroid/gap closer. By retaining the effects of the shield at a reduced amount when destroyed, the incentive for enemies to pop the shield to reduce Skarner's threat still exists, but still allows Skarner to capitalize on those bonuses if he is being focused.

E: Fracture - Active: Skarner fires a bolt of energy through all enemies in a line, dealing magic damage and marking them for 4 secs. If Skarner damages a marked target, they will be heavily slowed for 2.5 seconds.

Moving Skarner's slow onto Fracture makes the ability useful for early game jungle ganks and adds counterplay by making it dependent on both landing Fracture on a target and following it up with another damaging attack.

R: Impale - Active: Skarner lunges forward a short distance and strikes with his tail. The first enemy champion struck is dealt magic damage and is suppressed for 1.75 secs. For the duration, Skarner may move about freely and will drag his victim around with him. At the end of the suppression, the target takes the same damage again.

Making impale a short range dash skillshot(think Sejuani Q) adds counterplay by making it dodgeable/blockable, but increases Skarner's ability to capitalize on enemy positioning by allowing him to come over terrain. Also adds much needed utility as an emergency escape.
This seems like a great way to balance him out and make him at an equal with others like Hec/Udyr.

Moobeat

10-21-2013

Hey Scruffy,

I noticed some of the numbers are different from your post vs what ended up on the PBE.

Crystal Slash's attack speed buff is 5 seconds not 6 seconds
Exoskeleton's cool down is still 18 seconds.
Mana cost of Fracture is 40/45/50/55/60 not 30/35/40/45/50

Are these an older or new version from what you posted friday?