Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sightless66

09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
What? Removing heal on the E sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Someone please explain this to me.
Basic idea: Almost no players take his E in the jungle because it doesn't compete well enough with another level of the shield. It doesn't feel fun to use. It requires you to temporarily stop chasing, you don't use it when jungling because Skarner has mana problems with only 2 abilities. So, the idea is that they will remove the heal and increase the power of the shield, with the attack speed steroid moving to the Q, and the slow moving to the E. You should probably read the description of the projected kit.

greedy lobster

09-04-2013

RiotScruffy,

I love what you are doing with Skarner, it's a bit late but I figure this idea is worth a shot.

Have you tried stacking Q's to make the slow progressively add more slow/power? If this was mentioned in the thread then my apologies, I've read a lot of your posts but not 200's pages worth :P.

Anyway, best of luck, I picked up skarner due to my summoner name, and to "give em the clamps!!". Hopefully he can be re-integrated among the champions summoners enjoy playing and occasionally banning!

True Axis Hero

09-05-2013

So any news on when will we see the new Skarner on the PBE? I'm really stoked on playing him, specially his updated ult.

MobiIe Ward

09-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightless66 View Post
Basic idea: Almost no players take his E in the jungle because it doesn't compete well enough with another level of the shield. It doesn't feel fun to use. It requires you to temporarily stop chasing, you don't use it when jungling because Skarner has mana problems with only 2 abilities. So, the idea is that they will remove the heal and increase the power of the shield, with the attack speed steroid moving to the Q, and the slow moving to the E. You should probably read the description of the projected kit.
That buff to his shield is extremely small compared to how much he can currently heals with his e.

Sightless66

09-05-2013

Quote:
That buff to his shield is extremely small compared to how much he can currently heals with his e.
I wasn't arguing whether the change will be effective or not, I was explaining the logic behind it. Assuming numbers work (since they are still modifiable), that is the logic. Keep in mind that this is accompanied by a cooldown reduction. However, it does look like the change will cause a shift to slightly decreased tankiness late game in exchange for generally increased mobility and initiation range. I'm not sure if the idea will leave Skarner quite as fun as he currently is, but the kit proposal does seem functional.

MobiIe Ward

09-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightless66 View Post
I wasn't arguing whether the change will be effective or not, I was explaining the logic behind it. Assuming numbers work (since they are still modifiable), that is the logic. Keep in mind that this is accompanied by a cooldown reduction. However, it does look like the change will cause a shift to slightly decreased tankiness late game in exchange for generally increased mobility and initiation range. I'm not sure if the idea will leave Skarner quite as fun as he currently is, but the kit proposal does seem functional.
This seems like it will really hurt his early jungle sustain though.

Svirf Neblin

09-05-2013

Name:  Deadscorp.JPG
Views: 119
Size:  37.1 KB

Poor guy's just broke all up.

MobiIe Ward

09-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post

Exoskeleton (W)
-Attack speed component removed (moved to Q)
-Cooldown lowered from 18s to 14s
-Max movepseed increased to 24/28/32/36/40% and ramps up over 3s
-Duration remains at 6s
-Shield value increased from 70/115/160/205/250 to 75/125/175/225/280
-Shield AP ratio increased from 0.6 to 0.8

Fracture (E)
-Mana cost reduced from 50/55/60/65/70 to 40/45/50/55/60
-Heal removed (power moved into W shield)
So you take away his sustain in exchange for increased movement speed and attack speed with only like a 80hp stronger shield. Are you trying to turn him into an assassin or something?

Vongeo

09-05-2013

If we don't like him can we have old Skarner back?

Sightless66

09-05-2013

Quote:
This seems like it will really hurt his early jungle sustain though.
That one you'll have to justify for me. The typical early Skarner build is taking two points in Q, two points in W, and leaving the E until level 8 or 13. His early sustain problems are mana-related, not health related. The only way I can see it decreasing his early sustain is if the fact that you are forced to take E instead of a second W point means that you'll take slightly more damage, but the damage you get from having the E should more than make up for that.

I suppose you may be saying that you are currently taking E in the jungle, and therefore your health sustain will be decreased. However, since Skarner's main problem is mana sustain, and his mana costs are being reduced, you should end up better-off regardless.

If there are problems, it won't be with Skarner's early game. His early clear should be mostly unaffected (maybe slightly faster due to attack speed changes), and his early ganking will be slightly easier. Any problems that do occur will occur in his midgame. Skarner's current paradigm is maxing out his utility by level 12/13, and then scaling into the late game purely in terms of damage and tankiness. In the new paradigm, his utility will be separated across his W and E, which will be maxed after Q, meaning that he will scale in terms of utility until level 18. It could potentially mean that he is too hungry for skill points in the midgame, which is currently his strongest point. That may be too large of a cost for the increased level 18 strength. We'll see.