Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Locke64

09-01-2013

I've only seen two possibilities posted. Have you tried anything else? I know having Q slow every other cast feels wrong, but how about every cast (after the first) but with less slow duration? I think you should even try out things like the burrow people have been suggesting, though IMO that wouldn't be a good ability on him. You don't have to spend time changing graphics and animations, just adjust his speed, targetability, and whatever other effects he'd get.

IncognitoXS

09-01-2013

I think my current problem with these changes is that his Jungle is going to be really slow but ganks decent, or vise versa because they are making his Jungle clear one skill, his slow another and his move speed steroid on his last base skill.

That's the key thing I liked about Scarner, is that he cleared Jungles easy enough and at a low enough cost and his ganks were really good as long as the enemy didn't have a ward.

Easiest way to avoid any gank. Ward and pay attention.

messymike

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-01-2013

Hey RiotScruffy, please don't eliminate AP skarner, I play him in ranked as much as possible and am 17/3 for AP skarner at the time of this post. He is viable in lane otherwise I would not have gone from Silver 2 to Gold 4 (and climbing) by using him whenever possible.

My main concern is that removing his heal will destroy his playstyle for laning and force him into the jungle.

If you want to see what AP carry skarner looks like check out my stream one of these days, you'll see another side of skarner that is largely unseen by the general player base and might just get a few ideas about the upcoming rework.

NOTE: I say AP carry skarner because most people think of AP skarner building tanky AP items, I build as a normal AP mage and am still seeing good results. Also this is my first time streaming so feedback is appreciated in regards to that.

http://www.twitch.tv/messymike2

Kyokuji

09-02-2013

As many people have said. Skarner's E makes him exceptionally hard to push out of lane top or mid, and removing the heal from it would pretty much negate lane Skarner's existence. He's actually quite good top lane because he can easily get farmed up there and then he's a great peeler for his team while also putting out respectable damage.

With the new trinity, Skarner actually does A LOT of damage fairly early on.

Removing his ability to perma-slow on his Q hurts his ability to peel/chase, and removing the heal on his E effectively makes him non-viable as laner.

icedwarf

09-03-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
Just is over all kit. Skarner is nice mostly as is.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
I'll agree with Ozbirta up there. his lack of mana, he seems to run out way to quickly early and mid game without a mana item.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
To say for Frustrating? to be against a skarner, is just being off guard. If your off-gurad for even a second, he will get you, but my overall frustration come that lack of mana. I oftem times needs to buy a tear, or maybe 2-3 mana giving tanky items.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
I feel maybe just a pair of boots of speed or boots of mobility, paired up with his W, Skarner doesn't need anyone Outclassing him incitates as a threat. But! Skarner is the fastest runner for his team as he can slow and keep pace with his target.

The only thing I want to see for Skarner: Battlecast Skarner.
RIOT games literally painted it right into Battlecast prime Cho'Gath. I'd love to see that skin. in my opinion, just give Skarner a touch of mana and love. He really is just mana hungry of all things. I recommend not giving Skarner much of a rework, if RIOT does, please just don't change his spell set. Maybe at most just decrease the heal from his e just a touch, at most. I like playing skarner as he is.

TheMangoBear

09-03-2013

The only changes I want to see on Skarner is the ulti fix, the lower cooldown on his W and the lower mana costs (I do like that W movespeed increase a lot too, mind you).

He is great as he is, he only needs these tweaks. I fear that this slow on his E will be more for catching up and sticking to them for perhaps a second then they slowly get away till the next E. Just leave the slow where it was on the Q, it keeps him STUCK to them once he's finally there, he needs that slow on his Q!

Just whatever you do, don't change it past what Morello originally intended him to do. Morello quote:

"The idea behind Skarner is to get on people, stay on them, and really capture that inevitability of being run down by a predatory creature. Additionally, we wanted to avoid an instant gap closing mechanic so there's appropriate counter-play."

His Q HAS counterplay, he's gotta get a second Q off to start the slow and more than 90% of champs have some kind of cc to get away before the second Q. Please RiotScruffy, just change these little things to improve him, the rest is unnecessary...

I don't know, I'll have to wait till it hits pbe so I can test it. You HAVE playtested it after all. We'll see :/

Locke64

09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMangoBear View Post
The only changes I want to see on Skarner is the ulti fix, the lower cooldown on his W and the lower mana costs (I do like that W movespeed increase a lot too, mind you).

He is great as he is, he only needs these tweaks. I fear that this slow on his E will be more for catching up and sticking to them for perhaps a second then they slowly get away till the next E. Just leave the slow where it was on the Q, it keeps him STUCK to them once he's finally there, he needs that slow on his Q!

Just whatever you do, don't change it past what Morello originally intended him to do. Morello quote:

"The idea behind Skarner is to get on people, stay on them, and really capture that inevitability of being run down by a predatory creature. Additionally, we wanted to avoid an instant gap closing mechanic so there's appropriate counter-play."

His Q HAS counterplay, he's gotta get a second Q off to start the slow and more than 90% of champs have some kind of cc to get away before the second Q. Please RiotScruffy, just change these little things to improve him, the rest is unnecessary...

I don't know, I'll have to wait till it hits pbe so I can test it. You HAVE playtested it after all. We'll see :/
I'd like to add to that great quote (good to know my interpretation of Skarner was spot-on, and Morello did such a great job that Skarner feels exactly as intended) with this recent pair from CertainlyT (emphasis mine):

"Thresh is a powerful champion and playing against him can be frustrating. There's nothing wrong with that; in fact all champions should feel strong when well played. When I play Thresh I feel more powerful than I actually am. This to is a good thing. The worst of all worlds is the champion that is overpowered but feels weak."

"You can now Cleanse the Death Sentence as well. You'll have 0.5 seconds to do so before he can reactivate the Q (this portion didn't make the patch notes... oops!). It's not something you'll always have available, just an option. The primary counterplay is of course not getting hit."

Skarner is an (arguably) underpowered champion who feels strong. CertainlyT believes that some level of frustration is an acceptable side-effect, and I agree. Any frustration Skarner causes other players during his permaslow - which makes him feel powerful - is easily balanced by frustration caused by other players kiting him and practicing good positioning - which doesn't necessarily make him feel weak. This is a very good trade-off in my opinion.

The counterplay for his power is already there, just like dodging Thresh's Death Sentence. Adding more will only make him feel weaker, even if he's technically stronger overall.

Renewed

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-04-2013

Can we get an update Scruffy? !

FurryKittenSoup

09-04-2013

What? Removing heal on the E sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Someone please explain this to me.

guiotine

09-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurryKittenSoup View Post
What? Removing heal on the E sounds like the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

Someone please explain this to me.
it's getting put into the shield instead

@riotscruffy these changes seem really interesting and I loved seeing how the thread progressed