Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sightless66

08-29-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker9125 View Post
Tell that to literally every team I play with when I jungle Skarner......... No really.... Do that; I'm serious.

And its STILL an extremely lackluster skill as an ultimate.
It's targeted crowd control with displacement. Given the extreme power in the rest of his kit, particularly the interactions with his passive, it's fine for his ultimate to serve a more limited function.

ValkyrionX

08-29-2013

What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
Pulling carries and good gank pre 6, they will mostly die if have no flash or flash skill build in. Gank become more deadly at 6

What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
Outrunned by enemy which has flash skill build in, i.e. Ez, Nid, J4, Lee Sin. Skarner is some sort like udyr has huge boost on MS but can't approach directly (flash dependant), and forced to buy shurelia to utilize the MS bonus, the stat on shurelia is not that great for skarner.

What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
I can't really tell because noone plays skarner lately, but see from the past it will be our carry getting pulled and killed so fast first.

Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
Yes there are so much, take maokai for example, his point and click root is very dependable, and he get it pre6. maokai also has more teamfight presence with his ulti 20% damage reduction it's a huge reduction.

CrimsonWing

08-29-2013

I made my own Skarner page not knowing that Irish had a good one going.
• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
I love the champion design as well as his abilities. I enjoy watching people burn Flash just because I stepped into the lane.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
I hate seeing tons of champs with gap closing abilities as well as slows, roots and stuns being able to kite me or just escape since my ult has very little range and even then with the flash fix, they mostly get away.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
Hard to say since most people don't pick him. I'm just going to assume that since i play quite a bit of him it must be the feeling of being ulted constantly, even tho it has about the same CD as anyone else with a strong ult.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
Nautilus has CC built into everything he does, has roots, stuns, a shield, RANGED single target ult that affects multiple people, and jungles about just as well as Skarner.

Pro Anïvïa

08-29-2013

The more I look at this rework the more I just don't know if its actually going to be a good thing. I wish we could just get the ult change and nothing else but I doubt you'll do it.

IncognitoXS

08-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightless66 View Post
I see a few problems in this build that I'd like to address. First, I see that your build doesn't max out on CDR. On Skarner, I'd label this as a significant mistake. CDR synergizes very well with Skarner because of his passive, and because of the value of maintaining the uptime on his shield to keep the attack speed up. In order to get CDR, I'd advise building a Spirit Visage in place of the Sunfire Cape. In addition to just being a very strong item right now, it provides enough CDR to max him out after a spirit item and Frozen Gauntlet. In addition, it synergizes very well with the heal provided by the E, which can add onto your tankiness significantly in the late game.

Additionally, I'd usually recommend against Warmogs unless you have no other health items. Skarner has a very high effective base health due to the heal and the shield. I'd almost always recommend a Randiun's if you're building it in the late game. The additional slow combined with the resistances and utility usually makes it more worthwhile, particularly in the late game where the attack speed slow creates large losses in DPS.

Finally, in the jungle, I'd recommend mobility boots as a choice to be considered. The potential to be in fights promptly or scoot across the map is very valuable, and can be worth more than the actual tankiness stats in the fight itself. Skarner is already a great fighter. Getting him to the fights may be a more pressing problem.
I see where you are coming from, as far as I'm concerned I personally don't care about his Aspd steroid on his W, I use it for the shield and to close the initial gap. Once I'm in range for my second Q they can't get away from me unless they have a flash like ability. The Aspd steroid I only care about while Jungling so I can keep up in farm.

Mobi's can be useful, and getting him to the fights is crucial, but if you are playing a Jungler right you know where fights are going to happen and are always near, if not you are at base and have homegaurd. that's why I will always buy Mercs or Ninja Tabi, I already have a move speed steroid for ganking early which is what Mobi's are more used for in my opinion. If they have high Magic damage I would buy the Spirit Visage but lately the Meta, of ranked at least ( Low Silver ), is shifting to mostly Physical Damage.

But remember this is a build that best suits my play style.

Cadagan

08-30-2013

The changes look fantastic. The new changes actually make him look very strong. Love the ult change, I pretty much immediately stopped playing him after that nerf. It made no sense with things like darius and chogath ult still around.

His old build revolved around attackspeed, cooldown reduction, and armor/mr. Looks like we can keep building those items with the changes as well.

I can also see iceborn being extremely fun on him.

Sightless66

08-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncognitoXS View Post
I see where you are coming from, as far as I'm concerned I personally don't care about his Aspd steroid on his W, I use it for the shield and to close the initial gap. Once I'm in range for my second Q they can't get away from me unless they have a flash like ability. The Aspd steroid I only care about while Jungling so I can keep up in farm.

Mobi's can be useful, and getting him to the fights is crucial, but if you are playing a Jungler right you know where fights are going to happen and are always near, if not you are at base and have homegaurd. that's why I will always buy Mercs or Ninja Tabi, I already have a move speed steroid for ganking early which is what Mobi's are more used for in my opinion. If they have high Magic damage I would buy the Spirit Visage but lately the Meta, of ranked at least ( Low Silver ), is shifting to mostly Physical Damage.

But remember this is a build that best suits my play style.
Mobis aren't just used for ganking, they are used for getting wards into the enemy jungle safely, counterganking, and harassing the enemy jungler, all things that are pretty important for junglers. You can't always know when fights are going to happen, and even if you do, a few extra seconds of response time makes a high amount of a difference.

Why exactly don't you care about the attack speed steroid? It's a significant source of CDR for him, and it's a large factor in his tankiness and damage. Using it not only decreases the cooldown of his damage abilities, but also of his shield, leading to even more effective CDR. This won't be necessary when you're chasing people down, but if you ever have to actually fight an opponent or you get in a teamfight, this effective CDR is going to be a major factor in whether you can win the fight or not. I understand that you want to use the shield for the movement speed, but later in the game or if you're skirmishing, you're going to be put in situations where you are going to have to do things other than chase, such as teamfighting or dueling enemies. Your build should accommodate those things, and the way to do that is with CDR.

I still have to say that not maxing out on CDR is a big mistake on Skarner, even if you don't want spirit visage. It interacts too well with his passive. You could get Shurelia's, Locket, anything like that. Even if physical damage is valued, I'd still secure CDR items over a sunfire cape. It's not gold efficient, and the passive become significantly less valuable as the game goes on (by the time you're getting your third item, the passive doesn't have much value). The CDR you get will add more damage and tankiness. If they have any threat of magic damage, get Spirit Visage. It's extremely strong right now. If not, other CDR items should suffice. Regardless of playstyle, I'd never advise a sunfire cape on jungle Skarner unless they are pure physical damage and you are going to build nothing but armor.

Locke64

08-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadagan View Post
His old build revolved around attackspeed, cooldown reduction, and armor/mr. Looks like we can keep building those items with the changes as well.
except AS does't help him as much as it used to because he's not in AA range as much anymore. CDR however will be much more important since he won't be proccing his passive as much. I'm seeing MS becoming more important, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadagan View Post
I can also see iceborn being extremely fun on him.
Necessary* (but yes, fun too, as it always has been)

QGoodbye HorsesQ

08-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
1. Being a friggin scorpion man!!!

2. Running out of mana after two seconds.

3. Nothing

4. No, scorpion man for life

KyuzoS7

08-30-2013

when will his Battlecast skin come out he needs a new skin. he hasn't had one since his release.