Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cimbop

08-13-2013

Sounds just like Glitterlance, is there anything else that makes it a bit more Skarner-ey?

lightdragoon88

08-13-2013

Refresh my Moba lingo.

Does free cased line nuke mean "skillshot?"

Arduno

08-13-2013

Cant wait to test these changes in the pbe!!

GL RiotScruffy and thank for looking into Skarner!!

Chaosos

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Hey all, back with some more details. We're trying out an iteration of the E that is a bit more like the old E in usage but there are some other changes that help it fit nicely into his new gameplay pattern.

-It is now a free cased line nuke like the E in game currently
-The range is increased by about 20%
-The width of the projectile is decreased by about 20%
-Deals magic damage to targets hit and now slows them for 30/35/40/45/50 for 2.5s

The goals here were to retain the fun and diverse gameplay of the line nuke. The free targeting and skillshot feel of the E is a nice change of pace from Skarner's other melee focused abilities. We're also trying a longer/slow/less wide projectile so that targets of the E have the opportunity to dodge it (counterplay).
Is that a flat slow or % slow?

Majin Bl3u

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Hey all, back with some more details. We're trying out an iteration of the E that is a bit more like the old E in usage but there are some other changes that help it fit nicely into his new gameplay pattern.

-Deals magic damage to targets hit and now slows them for 30/35/40/45/50 for 2.5s

The goals here were to retain the fun and diverse gameplay of the line nuke. The free targeting and skillshot feel of the E is a nice change of pace from Skarner's other melee focused abilities. We're also trying a longer/slow/less wide projectile so that targets of the E have the opportunity to dodge it (counterplay).

If this is what amounts to your "couple of good ideas" for his E then I honestly think Skarner is going to end up worse off than before this "rework".

How is a miss-able slow going to help him more than a guaranteed slow like current Q? If its going to basically be a line CC at least make it do something better than just slowing people. I still think having a line skill shot in the kit is wonky. It seems like you are trying to fix him by just tweaking his kit, but don't be lazy. I really suggest you think a bit harder on what skarner actually needs vs. "lets just change some things and then see if he's good or not". Your approach is too reactionary. Be proactive and think critically about what would be fun and what would be useful. Think about how his abilities will play out in gank situations. Think about him trying to gank multiple different lane comps with multiple type of abilities. Envision what he could do to make it a successful gank. And don't rely solely on his 6 cause its pretty clear that in the current meta you need pre-6 ganking power (or great objective control) if you want to see a reasonable play %

You really aren't handling this very well at the moment.

Sorry for the bluntness of my post. I just really care about how skarner ends up. Thanks for working to make this happen!

P.S. Also, skarner only has 1 melee ability (his Q). His W is really a tool for closing gaps and tanking. I don't see what you mean by "nice change of pace" of his other abilities...

Tizano

08-13-2013

if it doesn't slow immediately there would be basically no point to actually using it and one of your previous ideas of using it as a instant melee or something would be better imo

CS3Narutoi

08-13-2013

Is E going to retain the extra effect mark and proc?
Also, can Skarner now fire it while moving without interrupting his movement?

Overall, I like how you kept how his spells work relatively the same, and only moved some buffs/effects around. This should keep the same Skarner feelings while helping him out a bit. Good work. =)

CS3Narutoi

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightdragoon88 View Post
Refresh my Moba lingo.

Does free cased line nuke mean "skillshot?"
Quote:

So yes, I do think it is a skillshot.

HeWhoSpectates

08-13-2013

So, if I understood correctly:

- Skarner will no longer be able to perma slow
- Skarner needs to land multiple Q's for his full attack speed steroid
- Skarner now HAS to level up E or he won't have a slow at all, which will mean that he is going to be even more mana starved than before?

I thought you wanted to buff him with this rework. A mid length 50% slow at level 13 is not what I'd call appropriate, when he used to have a 40% perma slow at level 9.

Give it a 15/20/25/30/35 slow for 2.5 seconds and add a mark to the targets. If Skarner procs the mark with any damaging ability or auto attack, the target is slowed by double the amount for another 2.5 seconds.
That would help to keep the "HAHAHAHA, got you, you're boned now" feeling that people love about Skarner.

A 15% slow is really weak, so your opponent can dodge the projectile or run away before Skarner gets close. If Skarner does get close, he gets rewarded with a very impactful slow.

Lore Master

08-13-2013

It would seem that if you make his E a targeted skill shot he's going to run into mana problems again. He is continually OOM during prolonged engagements just from spamming his QW in combat. Granted you're lowering the mana on W but now in order to do my job i need to spam all 3 skills.

No I'm not QQing about having to use the whole kit, I just think it's counter intuitive to fix a mana problem then recreate it.

Lets face it the E always felt like a strange skill in his kit. Junglers never even skill it up till they have to. A ranged nuke on a melee bug just doesn't make sense. I was looking forward to the "Denting Blows" mechanic. Maybe you need to take it one step farther from a "next AA proc". Make it automatically have a slowing effect if Skarner is charged with crystal energy on every 3rd (test different numbers) auto attack.