Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

archonshope

08-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Hey guys, sorry for the long silence. Stuff is going really well for Skarner over here, and I may have more updates soon. We have done a bunch of playtests on the new kit and are getting lots of good feedback.

Coupling the attack speed with the Q has been super well received. It feels very natural and his ramping threat/brawling feels stronger than ever.

W speed increase has also been very effective in making him get into fights more consistently but not without some effort still.

E is a mixed bag, and we are still testing around with a few different versions of the spell. Some liked the on next hit version of the ability, some were lukewarm to it. I'll update if we come to any resolutions. I have seen a few good ideas on here for the E as well that I might try out.

The changes to R have been 100% awesometown. Everyone feels like it is more consistent and meeting the players expectations when they activate the ability.

I too would like some new Skarner skins... I'll see what we can do.
So I just went to PBE and was sad to discover that we still can't play and try out the changes for ourself, so I ended up molesting bots until I got a penta kill . . . still didn't make me feel better. When will some of the changes hit PBE? or do you wait until you are sure at 100% of his kit before releasing the new skarner on PBE?

skittlzlol

08-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by archonshope View Post
So I just went to PBE and was sad to discover that we still can't play and try out the changes for ourself, so I ended up molesting bots until I got a penta kill . . . still didn't make me feel better. When will some of the changes hit PBE? or do you wait until you are sure at 100% of his kit before releasing the new skarner on PBE?
It's under internal testing, sending something to pbe means the design concept is confident enough to be implemented just needs testing of number values.

oldRakdos

08-06-2013

Quote:
Hey guys, sorry for the long silence. Stuff is going really well for Skarner over here, and I may have more updates soon. We have done a bunch of playtests on the new kit and are getting lots of good feedback.

Coupling the attack speed with the Q has been super well received. It feels very natural and his ramping threat/brawling feels stronger than ever.

W speed increase has also been very effective in making him get into fights more consistently but not without some effort still.

E is a mixed bag, and we are still testing around with a few different versions of the spell. Some liked the on next hit version of the ability, some were lukewarm to it. I'll update if we come to any resolutions. I have seen a few good ideas on here for the E as well that I might try out.

The changes to R have been 100% awesometown. Everyone feels like it is more consistent and meeting the players expectations when they activate the ability.

Make a robot skarner like battlecast

archonshope

08-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Best Glitches NA View Post
It's under internal testing, sending something to pbe means the design concept is confident enough to be implemented just needs testing of number values.
you're probably right, so the only thing left to do is find a skin concept!

I like the battlecast robot scorpion idea from oldRakdos

Personally I came up with a black scorpion idea, to make him look really deady.
A bit inspired from the spider and the "black widow", would look awesome a black scorpion with red tints and a little skull on his back.

Although I personally like the idea, Sandscourge skarner already looks really deadly and has a lot of red and black as well in his texture (even if it's more red and yellow)

The next idea would we diamond skarner, it should be a more transparent skin (almost like glass) but still colorful as well and glow intensely when you use abilities.

The next one is inspired of my previous idea and I call it Neon Skarner, again a transparent model but this time every particle of his body has a different color and constantly changes. When he uses abilities all the particles should change colors like a wave (from left to right or back and forth), like a real neon sign. And when he dances he could become a disco ball where tons of light courses through his body like he'd be in a club. This would make his such a hipster >.>

Reading through my ideas it might be worded weirdly

Catches Axes

08-06-2013

Quote:
Some liked the on next hit version of the ability, some were lukewarm to it.
I'm not at all surprised. The core (not necessarily only, but biggest) problem you're trying to fix is the feast/famine - either you can get on the enemy and they can never get away, or you can't get on them at all.

An on-next-hit slow exacerbates that core problem. If you can't get to them in the first place, it doesn't help you get to them. If you can get to them, it helps you stick to them. Insofar as the duration isn't effectively permanent, unlike the old Q slow, it helps the enemy get away... I'm not sure why Skarner players would give positive feedback on it (even if, ultimately, you need to end with a skarner who can get onto players consistently if he plays well and can be juked/escaped consistently by an opponent who outplays him).

It might be an appropriate ability, but it does fight against your solutions to the biggest problems you're trying to fix.

Lasie

08-06-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagami View Post
BaTtLeCaSt sKArNeR wHeN?

Seriously been waiting since it was teased in the cho-gath documents and splash art . I would probably buy it the day it hit the store.

And I look forward to the changes whenever we actually get them, so keep up the good work ^^.

I agree

Urilikya

08-06-2013

I gotta say that some of the most frustrating parts of playing Skarner currently are:

A) Having no real way to assure somebody won't get away or being able to close the gap well enough

B) Having E do nothing for you, really

Having E do something to do with the theme for Skarner (Slows for enemies, Speed for me), like a long-range slow would fit his kit much better than the heal stuff he's got now.

Amariithynar

08-06-2013

I don't like the idea of removing all of Skarner's range capability by turning his E into an on-next-hit, personally, if just because it renders him entirely at the mercy of getting to melee, unable to close gaps reliably as champs with dashes can, or reliably hit slows as others like Xin Zhao or Nunu or Trundle (Yeah, Trundle is more consistant with closing) can. Honestly having a flat medium slow on his base E and a decaying slow off the procs means that actually hitting with your E is satisfying and lets you get into the melee situation where you can stick to them with your speed, but if they have a reliable peel they can still escape, meaning you have to consider using it tactically or in combination with other effects.

Grind The Ocean

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2013

Quote:

I feel like making E a second version of Q that you can trigger with every two smacks of Q would be neat. Pretty much just alternating through 2 different cycles of his q aoe attack. This would retain the aoe slow aspect in melee range and make it more consistent in a fight.

To address the heal, what if we put a small heal over time on w. Say if he has the shield up for the full 6 seconds, he gets 25% of the shield amount in health. Like regenerative crystal armor? (to stay character/lore direction based)

EDIT: I understand this doesnt solve the problem of top lane poke, but you would still be gaining the ability to heal back some health. I honestly feel that his current e is lame, and just making it another on hit/aa enhancer does nothing to add to him as a character while moving the heal to w would make for great lore based regenerative properties and still kep his power in line.

Remni Strath

08-06-2013

I'm liking the concept someone mentioned more and more of turning his E into a spiked slow terrain that impairs movement and does damage the more people walk through it, like Rumble's ulti and Kog's slime trail (granted his only does damage on hit). Could make it cone-based attack that does no initial damage, but will do damage and slow the longer they walk through it (kinda like the way you'd think caltrops would work). This would make it very effective in teamfights as well. I'm thinking a 400 range 75-90 degree arc in front of him. The damage would look something like 20/30/40/50/60 dmg/sec (0.2 AP ratio), and would progressively slow over time the longer they stay in it up to 40-60% MS max reduction. You would have to increase the CD on it a bit though to keep it in line with his passive and AS buff, otherwise he would keep you in a permanent cone of caltrops.

I like the idea of the W giving a % based health back depending on the shield amount still left when it expires. Maybe more like 50% of it, since it's so heavily based on AP and the initial amount isnt much.