Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

lightdragoon88

08-05-2013

Battlecast Skarner!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R9YKaMDCT0

Coldmanj

08-05-2013

Hey RiotScruffy, have a question for ya. I had already mentioned this at the end of my feedback post on page 137 about Skarners ult being called impale. Are there any plans right now to change the visual effects of the spell so it looks like your opponent is actually being impaled by skarners tail or are plans to leave it as it is. I recommended renaming it to Crystallize but noticed anivias w is called crystallize... (perhaps you could change anivias spell name to Ice formation or something to free up crystallize, you know, just a thought) :P

Remni Strath

08-05-2013

Thanks for the update Scruffy. Is there anyway you can give us some of the examples you guys have come up with for using the E otherwise that we could look at and maybe brainstorm off of?

Cheesyfluff

08-05-2013

I LIKE TO PULL ****AS

I CANT PULL ****AS WHILE ITS ON COOLDOWN

NOTHING I LOVE DYING

Jk
But the pull is the most fun part of skarner.

Best Glitches NA

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
Hey guys, sorry for the long silence. Stuff is going really well for Skarner over here, and I may have more updates soon. We have done a bunch of playtests on the new kit and are getting lots of good feedback.

Coupling the attack speed with the Q has been super well received. It feels very natural and his ramping threat/brawling feels stronger than ever.

W speed increase has also been very effective in making him get into fights more consistently but not without some effort still.

E is a mixed bag, and we are still testing around with a few different versions of the spell. Some liked the on next hit version of the ability, some were lukewarm to it. I'll update if we come to any resolutions. I have seen a few good ideas on here for the E as well that I might try out.

The changes to R have been 100% awesometown. Everyone feels like it is more consistent and meeting the players expectations when they activate the ability.

I too would like some new Skarner skins... I'll see what we can do.
For E, has a passive "every x hits" mechanic with an active been thought of? Would seem interesting since his kit revolves around AS and getting basic attacks in.

Bikohoness

08-05-2013

I've been keeping track of my Skarner games ever since this thread was started. (I'm currently playing on my EUW account since I'm living in Europe for the next couple of months) And out of 30 games against humans, every single one has been a loss. I know I'm not a great player, but I don't think I'm that bad. And it's not I was feeding, missing plays or anything like that. We're usually winning through most of the game and my Skarner has decent farm, a couple of kills and a good set of items.

But once that late game starts happening, good luck contributing to the teamfights! It becomes absolutely impossible to land a grab on any of the carries. Every team is chock full of low cooldown ranged CC. They spam it at you any time you are visible, and even if you somehow manage to get to the carry (with a flash-ult or something), you get chain CC'd while you are in the middle of the enemy team and you just die there before the rest of your team can even reach you. Ok, maybe it's not quite that bad, he's usually tanky enough to hang in there through the initial burst, but a couple of Q's a couple of AA's and maybe an E and then you're probably dead.

It just feels like his lategame presence falls off really hard.

Remni Strath

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikohoness View Post
I've been keeping track of my Skarner games ever since this thread was started. (I'm currently playing on my EUW account since I'm living in Europe for the next couple of months) And out of 30 games against humans, every single one has been a loss. I know I'm not a great player, but I don't think I'm that bad. And it's not I was feeding, missing plays or anything like that. We're usually winning through most of the game and my Skarner has decent farm, a couple of kills and a good set of items.

But once that late game starts happening, good luck contributing to the teamfights! It becomes absolutely impossible to land a grab on any of the carries. Every team is chock full of low cooldown ranged CC. They spam it at you any time you are visible, and even if you somehow manage to get to the carry (with a flash-ult or something), you get chain CC'd while you are in the middle of the enemy team and you just die there before the rest of your team can even reach you. Ok, maybe it's not quite that bad, he's usually tanky enough to hang in there through the initial burst, but a couple of Q's a couple of AA's and maybe an E and then you're probably dead.

It just feels like his lategame presence falls off really hard.
See on the opposite end of the spectrum, I've been winning most of my Skarner games. I go for a 9/21/0 mastery build and runes are MR(blue)/AR(yellow)/AS(red)/HP% Quints. You set him up as a tank from the very start of the game, and then build some AD in your first two items. I get Elder Lizard/Guantlet as my first two, then build to whatever is required from there. Usually an Omen's/Mallet combo is next in line and finish off with either Sunfire or Visage. By the time I have Elder/Gauntlet/Boost/Omens, I'm tanky enough to just use a Ghost+W combo and grab the carry and pull him. The overall speed boosts between them make it far easier to use than Flash+R, and the speed buff continues while you're pulling him into your team at the same time.

Honestly Skarner's biggest issue with mana is why he's having problems if at all, because he cant counter jungle or even jungle effectively without blue buff, at least until you get him the Gauntlet.

exec3

08-05-2013

So essentially everything's solid except for the E? Sounds good and about what I expected, not a fan of that on next hit E slow myself. I'm sure you can figure it out.

Tsuusetsu

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotscruffy View Post
hey guys, sorry for the long silence. Stuff is going really well for skarner over here, and i may have more updates soon. We have done a bunch of playtests on the new kit and are getting lots of good feedback.

Coupling the attack speed with the q has been super well received. It feels very natural and his ramping threat/brawling feels stronger than ever.

W speed increase has also been very effective in making him get into fights more consistently but not without some effort still.

E is a mixed bag, and we are still testing around with a few different versions of the spell. Some liked the on next hit version of the ability, some were lukewarm to it. I'll update if we come to any resolutions. I have seen a few good ideas on here for the e as well that i might try out.

The changes to r have been 100% awesometown. Everyone feels like it is more consistent and meeting the players expectations when they activate the ability.

I too would like some new skarner skins... I'll see what we can do.

give us....battlecast skarner owo for f's sake, do eet.

ShiznazTM

08-05-2013

Needs a new skin.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...0&d=1343757751

Sean Skarnery