Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dizeazedkiller

08-05-2013

Keep his q permaslow. At best put half the slow on charged autos and half on aoe, at least then the permaslow isn't aoe.
The only thing w needs is some number tweaks. No ramp up time necessary. Nothing fancy. Maybe make it stronger so that if a single champ focuses him it won't break without more effort than one Ezreal q, but not too strong that it needs an entire team to break it.
Keep his e the way it is. At best add an extra effect. Maybe have mana gains back on e as well, or make them do damage if not broken by skarner's damage.
The change to make R ult root first is good. It won't be as fun as seeing someone get caught mid jump or mid flash (and if that happens they deserve it for leaving it so late) but it works.

Keep Skarner unique please. We are all grateful for the attention but he doesn't need a rework, he needs a slight tweak.

Shadowcombat

08-05-2013

we all know why we are here so please don't nerf skarner again.. (please)

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
well i like to play skarner as the fact the most people cant run away from him unless your yi,rammus,vayne,ect. its also lots of fun because some people don't know what a slarner is and they don't know what to do when they see him.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
well whenever its vayne free week its impossible to gank bottom lane because of the small leap on vayne right when your going to ulti. in other words small jumps save yourself from him therefor making it impossible to gank any lane with a jump. also its a little sad how bad his ap ratio is on him. his W is a little meh i think it should be buffed on the speed a little bit so he can have a chance at catching people with jumps

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
jarvan and zac is who i can think of atm because they are better chasers then skarner will be because of there utility and jumps.

thanks for puts this up i love skarner and id love to see him get a buff or somthing thats not a nerf on him.

SlightlySuicidal

08-05-2013

I don't like the idea of taking away his permaslow.

Really, don't get in MELEE range of him. There's your counterplay. He has that niche of being a pure melee champ but when he gets on top of you he sticks.

I hate how the whole "0 counterplay" thing is thrown around here. It's idiotic. And it just ends up streamlining kits and taking the whole essence from a champ. So now skar has a ranged poke that slows? Cool. But then that costs him his Q slow which was his thing before. Now he's just a normal bruiser instead of being that guy who gets in melee range of you and destroys you, but it's hard for him to get in melee range.

Cereal

Adjudicator

08-05-2013

@riotscruffy

I gotta say. Skarner's q slow was balanced fine to begin with. He is melee. If he is slowing you and you think you will die, then you are RUNNING to allies and he is running in to enemies AT MELEE RANGE. There's the balance. It kinda feels like you are thinking of this from a vacuum where it is always 1 on 1 duels.

I do like any QoL changes to it, but do not think that the permaslow should be a consideration. It IS annoying- don't get caught alone and do run to teammates? Starting to see some good posts on GD discussing just this. Ashe can have it AT RANGE. Why can't Skarner's just stay since it's balanced by his risk?
EDIT: ALSO, look at all the yi posts about how he is counterable- CC. You CC skarner and he isn't catching you, EVEN if he already had a slow applied. You will escape.

Tananzel

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostkill221 View Post
And finally, I would like some info on Skarners W, what's happening with it? Changes or no?
His W is getting an increased shield and will function more like Hecerim's speed boost but without the knock back. It will have a higher MS that ramps up over a few seconds and then runs at cap for a few more. So over all it will be buffed with a faster speed and since the shield last longer it will be harder to break and end early. Also the CD is being lowered.

Remni Strath

08-05-2013

I've been playing Skarner for quite some time myself now and I've found him as an effective AD/Tanky jungler with the right items like Elder Lizard item. I will agree that his worst aspect right now is that his mana costs can be severe in the jungle if you dont decide to build a Manamune for instance.

Here's a few suggestions for some changes on him. He needs to stop being an AP tank and allow the use of hybridization.

His Q definitely needs a slightly lower mana cost. I do believe the Q range needs an increase by about 50 however.

The ideas on his W is good with reduced mana costs, ramp up time for his speed buff and possibly ignoring slows while the shield is up to guarantee he can at least chase.

As far as the E goes, I'm perfectly fine with the current mechanic it has, but it needs some changes. Decreased mana costs again. Have the healing effect happen immediately instead of on a stack, and increase the amount based on whether you only hit 1 enemy or multiples. You can keep the debuff ability by also making it do mana gains when popped. That would make the skill solely unique to him as well, and also alleviate his need for so much mana usage.

His R really needs no changes to it at all, it's literally one of the strongest abilities in the game. The only thing I might add to it is also put a hybrid AD ratio to it as well with 0.8 AD Bonus only ratio.

As far as Skarner's base stats go, again he needs something for his mana, so maybe give him at least an increase across the board for his starting or mana/lvl, as well as his base regen.

kouish

08-05-2013

Any update on Skarner, Scruffy? GD is getting restless. Can you calm their fears?

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

08-05-2013
17 of 35 Riot Posts

Hey guys, sorry for the long silence. Stuff is going really well for Skarner over here, and I may have more updates soon. We have done a bunch of playtests on the new kit and are getting lots of good feedback.

Coupling the attack speed with the Q has been super well received. It feels very natural and his ramping threat/brawling feels stronger than ever.

W speed increase has also been very effective in making him get into fights more consistently but not without some effort still.

E is a mixed bag, and we are still testing around with a few different versions of the spell. Some liked the on next hit version of the ability, some were lukewarm to it. I'll update if we come to any resolutions. I have seen a few good ideas on here for the E as well that I might try out.

The changes to R have been 100% awesometown. Everyone feels like it is more consistent and meeting the players expectations when they activate the ability.

I too would like some new Skarner skins... I'll see what we can do.

LesLlamas

08-05-2013

I'm glad that you're putting effort into this. It seems as though you aren't (at least directly) addressing community feedback. That's your prerogative and it's fine--you've gotta do what you've gotta do, but I think we'd all really appreciate it if you took a bit of time to address points raised about changing his Q and moving the slow onto the E. It's nice to hear that it's been well received, but I think we'd all like an explanation as to WHY that had to happen. I think there's a lot of necessary discourse on it.

EDIT: As a conversation starter--What have you seen internally that makes Skarner's Q feel different from Hecarim's Q? When you press Q, what feeling do you get now, and why is it unique and still retaining the core aspects of Skarner?

Kagami

08-05-2013

Quote:
I too would like some new Skarner skins... I'll see what we can do.
BaTtLeCaSt sKArNeR wHeN?

Seriously been waiting since it was teased in the cho-gath documents and splash art . I would probably buy it the day it hit the store.

And I look forward to the changes whenever we actually get them, so keep up the good work ^^.