Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Equinox Fox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2013

No pls.
I still enjoy playing Skarskar as an AP tank. Build him like ryze and he is hilariously difficult to push out of lane.

Grondax IxThania

07-30-2013

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?

Skarner is great when he can charge in and just start wailing on an opponent. He's supposed to be this giant scorpion just coming out and destroying his enemy. Exoskeleton into crystal slashes just feels rewarding. Add in a flash impale to start a team fight and you've got a winner.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?

His exoskeleton breaks on damage. His impale sometimes jitters and breaks when targets juke in bushes. Fracture is useless. His passive feels like an add on to another ability like Xin instead of a waste of a passive. All his abilities scale on ability power.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
His dueling potential is a little insane. If he catches you and you don't have an amazing escape you're going to get devoured unless you flash over a wall. Flash/impale is a pretty insane combination.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
I'd say both Xin and Udyr do a better job than Skarner. I think in a pinch he might have a shot at out dueling them, but they currently have much better itemization than him.

Specifically Udyr can't lose his speed buff, and it's on a much shorter cooldown. He also has two really nice build paths right now in tiger and phoenix.

Generally my thoughts -
1. Move energize onto another ability. Give him a passive that increases jungle viability (kind of like Nunu, I get the feeling we don't want Skarner in lane)
2. Remove the slow from crystal slash. Turn it into a high stacking armor/mr shred ability. Scale somewhat on AP and a lot on AD.
3. Remove the attack and movement speed from exoskeleton. Turn it into a pure damage shield that blocks abilities like Morg has.
4. Change fracture to energize. In addition to the passive throw the movement speed buff here, and his first attack applies the crystal slash slow. (improved)
5. Impale is kind of his bread and butter, but maybe he could get a movement speed slow while it's active (he has to carry his target) and make the suppress last 2.25 seconds or something like that.

With the above changes you get -
1. No more perma-slow, but if you have like a 6 second cooldown with a 3 second slow it'll be a useful ganking tool. Make the ability goes on CD on activation, but the slow can be applied within the 6 seconds. So you would optimally apply the slow at 3 seconds in, and reapply when it wears off. Very technical.
2. Exoskeleton lets him get in to slow. Counterplay around breaking the shield before cc.
3. Crystal slash should be very weak damage unless he pushes damage items.
4. Impale makes him think more about when and where to use it. He can't just sprint out of a team after impaling someone.

I think of this Skarner kit as being similar to Nocturne's. That is to say if Nocturne builds pure damage he can rip people up, but it's a huge risk that can leave him vulnerable without perfect use of his abilities. If he builds pure tank he his damage tanks, but he can still provide good utility. (but not so much as he can single handedly lock down an entire team; though he can shred the whole team if they're dumb enough to clump on him in a team fight)

ShiznazTM

07-30-2013

That skillset sounds, terrible.

Keep the Q permaslow, it's what Skarner IS.

JUST CHANGE HIS E FOR CHRIST SAKE ITS NOT HARD.

lightdragoon88

07-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotscruffy View Post
wall of text
Name:  3pjyfr.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  22.4 KB

oldRakdos

07-30-2013

still waiting some response to if the Ult is getting changes or if you are going to remove the heal (please dont)

Bombkirby

07-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiznazTM View Post
That skillset sounds, terrible.

Keep the Q permaslow, it's what Skarner IS.

JUST CHANGE HIS E FOR CHRIST SAKE ITS NOT HARD.
A while ago I asked in a Morello AMA if they had plans for Skarner. Plans to buff him since hes underplayed now. His answer was that once they add some counterplay to the permaslow, THEN they would buff him. We have to suck it up and say bye bye to the permaslow, or risk them lowering the permaslow to a teensy tiny slow to balance it.If we can't let go of that one little aspect then he will have to remain garbage for the rest of his days.

Besides! His ULT is what Skarner IS. If they removed that then we can panic. So other champion has that sort of spell.

MaingoSeven

07-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
A while ago I asked in a Morello AMA if they had plans for Skarner. Plans to buff him since hes underplayed now. His answer was that once they add some counterplay to the permaslow, THEN they would buff him. We have to suck it up and say bye bye to the permaslow, or risk them lowering the permaslow to a teensy tiny slow to balance it.
The "counterplay" is not letting him close the gap begin with, he has no instant massive gap closer and his movespeed buff is small + removed if the shield is broken. Hell, E doesn't even need changes, resistances need to be an actual stat instead of extra gold cost and words tacked onto items. All you buy in S3 is damage or HP, Skarner doesn't want either of those too much, he wants stacks of armor and magic resist to scale alongside his shield and heal.

ShiznazTM

07-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
A while ago I asked in a Morello AMA if they had plans for Skarner. Plans to buff him since hes underplayed now. His answer was that once they add some counterplay to the permaslow, THEN they would buff him. We have to suck it up and say bye bye to the permaslow, or risk them lowering the permaslow to a teensy tiny slow to balance it.If we can't let go of that one little aspect then he will have to remain garbage for the rest of his days.

Besides! His ULT is what Skarner IS. If they removed that then we can panic. So other champion has that sort of spell.
Skarner is a close range menace that seeks blood of squishies, forcing the enemy team to peel for them because of his permaslow. They made Skarner's permaslow to make him feel like a menace once he gets to you. First things first, well, he has to get to you.

Go read that thread about gap closers and escapes, how many champions that don't have escapes are picked nowadays? A few, but not as many as when he was released.

You'll see, if he loses his slow, he loses everything, that carry is going to kite you for years.

It WILL be worse than Udyr Kite.

The idea WAS, Runrunrunrunrun>IMPALE>Q>Q>Chasechasechasechasecha se.

Now it's going to be: Runrunrunrunrun>IMPALE>E(Slow)>Flash>Oh, well I guess I should totally use this useless attackspeed because it'll widen my gap from the carry.

You'll all see.

CaldwellYSR

07-30-2013

First of all THANK YOU SO MUCH OMFG!!!!! I'm so excited that Skarner is getting looked at.

• What are the most fun aspects of playing Skarner?
The most fun aspect of playing Skarner is how much his Q really hurts, especially early. With the MS boost from his W and the 2nd Q slowing and doing tons of damage Skarner does tons of damage especially counterjungling early. Also nothing is more fun than ulting that person right before they use they're gap closer so that they can't get away. Ah the satisfaction.

• What are the most frustrating/unfun aspects of playing Skarner?
The most frustrating and unfun aspect of playing Skarner is the fact that his ult starts to cast, then someone flashes or Arcane Shifts (I'm looking at Ezreal here) right before the cast time is complete. You get to hear Skarner cast the ability, see it going at the enemy. Then suddenly they're safe and you're running the other way with your ult still up. It is very unreliable and stops Skarner from doing the main thing Skarner is made to do. Also the fact that his E feels completely useless. I don't ever put a point in it until I have to. The heal is barely noticeable and the damage is even less noticeable.

• What are the most frustrating aspects of playing against Skarner?
Well.... what is more frustrating than getting pulled wherever he wants for 2 seconds? I'd say the most frustrating thing when playing against Skarner is getting ulted into his turret as soon as you take turret aggro. Then he keeps you in there for another 2-3 shots.

• Are there champions that do Skarner’s job better than he does? Why?
Skarner punishes people for being out of position and getting too close to him. He also punishes people like Lee Sin or Tristana for waiting too long to knock him back. All the while he soaks alot of damage and has good mobility. The best person I can think of when it comes to singling out an OOP opponent is Lee Sin with his Q ult combo. The reason I think he does it better is because of the amount of mobility in his kit.

Awahl

07-30-2013

Will his Crystal Energy reapply after taking damage or does it wear off after time, negating the possibility of a perma slow?