Skarner, I miss your kind

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fwoggey

07-30-2013

Me being an avid skarner player, I would hate to see him lose his slow BECAUSE the thing that drew me to him when he was released was that he was a champ that could keep up with opponents and such and he does that great. And late game, a regular skarner build would leave him more beefy than damage and the slow from his q and his ult make him a very good asset to fights. Moving his slow away and all around removing it's re-apply-ability that is evident in his current kit would take away some of that strength. I am ALL FOR changing his E because it is such a mana sink early game with no benefit over maxing his w,q. I truly think that skarner's q is where it should be right now with the slow and the amount of damage. The damage is great for early game and his slow is good for late game.

Roablin

07-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotScruffy View Post
The new E does damage to enemies behind the initial target (like Vi E) so it can still be useful as a poke in lane.
Does it still have an AP ratio? And will Skarner have a heal in his new kit? Even if junglers don't use the heal, it was a nice aspect of his kit because laners were able to make use of it. I can't see him surviving without it.

fishbeard

07-30-2013

Quote:
E
-Ability reworked from a line projectile to an on next hit attack
-On skarner's next hit he deals bonus magic damage to the target and all enemies behind the target in a line (similar to Vi's E)
-Targets hit are marked with crystal energy
-When damage is dealt to targets with crystal energy they are slowed significantly for a few seconds
-No longer grants attack speed (moved to Q)

When the marked target takes damage, is the mark consumed or does it remain for a set duration? Is Skarner allowed to repeatedly slow a marked target (until the mark wears off), or does he only get one slow per marked enemy?

RiotScruffy

Game Designer

07-30-2013
13 of 35 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyhawke View Post
I think you missed my question earlier, so I'll ask again. Does the E slow proc on ally damage as well, or only on Skarner's damage?
Only on Skarner's damage, but it is pretty easy to follow up with a Q or an auto attack. I think it will make his gank power pre 6 pretty strong.

Slizer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2013

Quote:
Yes, the ramp up has been working out so far. Its still part of the new kit.
I still have one single huge concern about skarner.

His ultimate get's cancelled by any flash or flash type ability, I can't fathom wanting to play him again unless it reaches a point where one of two things happen to his ultimate.

1: Revert back to the way it worked at first (flashing mid animation just got you dragged back).
2: Giving it longer range and making it INSTANT - This leaves less counterplay, granted. But it makes it reliable again and you can then adjust CD according to this and his new AS passive that will be up much more than before.

Bombkirby

07-30-2013

Quote:
Yes, the ramp up has been working out so far. Its still part of the new kit.
Excellent! Hoo hoo hoo hee....haw!

GUILES THEME GG

07-30-2013

Try to keep it in mind to not make his e just a clone of Vi's. One of my favorite things about league is how different similar themed skills feel, like brand's Q compared to annie's, or aatrox's e compared to other line skillshots. The way you describe the new e sounds pretty much identical to Vi.

Bombkirby

07-30-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slizer View Post
I still have one single huge concern about skarner.

His ultimate get's cancelled by any flash or flash type ability, I can't fathom wanting to play him again unless it reaches a point where one of two things happen to his ultimate.

1: Revert back to the way it worked at first (flashing mid animation just got you dragged back).
2: Giving it longer range and making it INSTANT - This leaves less counterplay, granted. But it makes it reliable again and you can then adjust CD according to this and his new AS passive that will be up much more than before.
Earlier he said they were gonna iron the ult out. Realistically people shouldn't flash and then get pulled back after wasting a giant cooldown summoner spell like that, so I imagine they'll look at the cast time so you're able to grab them before they waste the spell. However they should prevent things like Darius' ult from doing this type of thing as well. Asap.

Chris Thompson

07-30-2013

- What is the most fun aspect of playing skarner?

For me, as a 2-3 year league player and recent skarner player I must say that the feeling of being up in people's face. And seeming almost unstoppable or scary is the best part of playing skarner. Skarner's ult and the "now I've got you quote" exemplifies this. I want to be able to out 1 v 1 people, other champs who feel similar, are udyr, mundo, and volibear basically older non-blink champions with low cd cc's.

- What is the most frustrating aspect of playing skarner?

Easily the strength of the blink champions in the current meta. He feels like he's never going to be in people's face without flash. I don't a character should need a summoner spell to be viable. I want to be able to get to people as Skarner and I understand that he needs to be able to be outplayed, but I feel like skarner has viability to chase down about 10% of the roster in his current state, if no one else interferes.

- What is the most frustrating aspect of playing against skarner?

It's got to be the fact that his low cd abilities and his passive make him near impossible to 1 v 1 early on which leads him to being a very good counter jungler. It rarely happens but if I am jungling amumu and a skarner is on the other team, if he wants my jungle it's his

- Champions who do skarner's job better. Why?

This is based off of my opinion of Skarner being an aggressive counter-jungler, who should be able to pick off people and stick to them.

Udyr - Maybe not early, but later on with a phage, he has the slows skarner offers and his stuns, feels just plain stronger, if less tanky.

Dr. Mundo - Way more pushy, skarner you just beat by staying away from (which is how I think you should beat him) but mundo seems to be able to not have that problem and have near perma slows coupled with near invincibility makes me think the skarner ulti isn't worth it as a trade off.

RandomGuy928

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-30-2013

I just...

I might as well stop playing Skarner now. You're killing my favorite champion. Again.

A Skarner without permaslow is like a Jax without dodge - the champion just isn't right.

I'm sure he'll be "stronger", but I'm not convinced that I'll want to play him. Pulsating AoE damage tied to an attack speed steroid sounds like an incredible jungle clearing ability, so that should definitely help his early game.

I don't think that the ramping shield speed will be nearly as satisfying as Hecarim's E since breaking Skarner's W early will absolutely cripple the ability. It's like chopping the end off of Nasus' Wither with Tenacity before that got bugfixed - it was a massive hit to the ability's power level. I forsee this being an absolutely massive issue for Skarner.

Current faith in the project: 10%