Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

IshmaeI

07-27-2013

Lyte - Could you explain what the plans are for fixing the matchmaking system in ranked?

Currently the thing I've noticed is that the closer I get to say, silver (currently in b3) I get matched with silver V players who are at the bottom of the barrel, on massive losing streaks, but it seems like their MMR is matching with mine because it doesnt drop past a certain point. Is there any plan to fix this? It makes it really difficult (unfairly so) to break through the ranks even if I'm playing at a level far above where I was originally placed.

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

07-27-2013

Quote:
StriderXplosive:
Lyte: Any chance there will be a full solo queue? Im tired of the premades abussing the 1 random and then getting reported because they play out a story in all chat to make u look like a troll and you get 4 auto reports and like 2 or more from the other . Please make a SOLO QUEUE NO PREMADES THAnK You!!

We've talked about whether we want a true Solo Queue in the past, but when we looked at the data a large number of players play Ranked in Duo Queue, and only play Ranked because of Duo Queue.

Regardless, this is more of a question for RiotSocrates.

Lyte

07-27-2013

Quote:
PallasAthens:
Lyte, I hope you guys really work on something well for the champion select. As long as it's not something like forcing queues for roles. I like your restricted chat and warnings, so don't mess this uuuup :X

We're trying our best!

TheNameIsJohnny

07-27-2013

So pointless. How to solve toxicity? INSTANT ban any toxic in game. Regardless it is first offend or not.

Evenoix

07-27-2013

Something I wonder, about color coded priming, with color blind players, is there as significant of an effect as there would be with non?

Lyte

07-27-2013

Quote:
Mattarias:
PB&J has done nothing but excellent work so far. Keep it up guys!

On a unrelated note: It was an honor meeting you at PAX East Lyte. I was the dude with the red hat and boxed copy of League I asked you to sign.

Nice to see you drop by the thread! I remember being shocked that you had a boxed copy of League.

Malefic Vision

07-27-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
We're focusing most of our time on Champion Select solutions, and right now they don't include putting more chat logs into the Tribunal.

I really love that you guys are working on the Champion Selection, but don't you think adding those logs to the Tribunal would, even if you did nothing else, decrease the amount of jerks in C/S simply because they know they can be reported and banned for it?

On a similar vein, again I love that Champ Select is being looked at but I also think that post-game lobby is just horrendous right now. Are any of the plans you have in regards to C/S going to be relevant/applicable to the post-game lobby, or is that a separate issue that you have to deal with on it's own? If so, is that issue benched until later or is it just not a topic of conversation at all atm?

p.s. Still love your work.

Ophirr

07-27-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Or another day, we might be trying to fix a unique player behavior situation in Southeast Asia that we haven't seen anywhere else.

Oh, this is a cool topic. You should elaborate more on this. What type of behavioral patterns do you notice based on regions? Does one region seem to value teamwork over another? I understand that answering a question like this is tricky, as I'd imagine you don't want to be responsible for creating some sort of behavior stereotype, but I'd like to hear more about this ^.^

TheNameIsJohnny

07-27-2013

What you are doing now is completely pointless. People arent scared to be toxic because they know they wont get ban since you wont be banned unless you are EXTREMELY TOXIC.

Waste of time, effort and money.

Lyte

07-27-2013

Quote:
BooredMaan:
Restricted chat mode detracts from their ability to communicate effectively with teammates, coordinating strategies that cannot be conveyed with simple pings. In essence, you aren't just punishing the player, you're punishing their future teammates as well. If you are going to use a restricted chat mode, you need to have it so allies can turn it off, or "unmute" them if you will. All other major games that use voice automuting restrictions like Halo have it so teammates can go in and unmute them if they so please. LoL should as well.

We agree, there was a concern that maybe Restricted Chat Mode was too restrictive and could hinder teams that restricted players are on; however, a large number of players only use Smart Pings and short commands like "ss" or "mia" during their matches, and that's sufficient for communication in League of Legends.

We're taking a look at data from Restricted Chat players to see whether they lose more games or their teams to show less teamwork, but we haven't finished the study yet. We're more than happy to tweak Restricted Chat Mode if this study shows that restricted players tend to hurt their team's performance.