Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Midknight

07-27-2013

Do you feel the swap to the league system has led to increased satisfaction from the ranked playing section of the community?

OdinWolfe

07-27-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
During Christmas of 2012, we handed out special Santa Baron Summoner icons for positive players in the community. We're definitely looking forward to doing more things like that in the future.

Recently, we also sent out statues and posters signed by the player behavior team to positive members of our community. Maybe some players who got them and describe their experiences here

I definitely got mine!
I also sent you a tweet shortly after the release, not sure you saw it though.
ty for the response

SlumlordThanatos

07-27-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
We're focusing most of our time on Champion Select solutions, and right now they don't include putting more chat logs into the Tribunal.

I'm not one to tell the professional how to do his job, but I feel that pre/post game chat logs should be a higher priority. That is crucial information that Tribunal judges simply do not have, and you don't seem to think it is important.

Why?

Isn't it important for Tribunal judges to have all of the necessary information (which includes pre/post game chat logs) before casting their vote?

NightAngl

07-27-2013

Is there anything that you guys have planned for the current LP system, because from everything I have experienced and read it has only increased toxicity with all of the clamping and such.

GutEveryone

07-27-2013

A bit cynical, and possibly requiring too-subjective of an answer but here goes:

If a tribunal user hits 'punish' every time a case comes up, without regards to anything listed in the case report, but has a 90%+ accuracy, should that person stop?

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

07-27-2013

Quote:
KevinDelMarr:
Several Questions

You have a heavy (or some) Psychology background, if I'm not mistaken. How does that background translate into video games (your specific title is social systems). Is your type of position super rare, are there lesser positions that utilize a psychology background?

I have a pretty heavy Psychology and Neuroscience background from Bachelors to PhD; however, my type of position in the industry is getting more popular and common with time. As the industry moves more and more towards online multiplayer games, player behavior is simply going to be a problem that needs to be challenged and addressed in every online game.

Psychology is one of those fields that can be useful in a variety of positions. If you are an expert in Industrial or Organizational Psychology, you might have a position in Human Resources or Facilities figuring out the best way to organize desk layout to maximize interactions between talented people. The thing about Psychology is that it isn't really about the facts or raw knowledge you learn--it's about learning how to break down problems, and critically measure things that are difficult to quantify such as human behavior.

Quote:

Do you find toxic-like behavior is more likely to occur after death? Personally I rarely rage or swear at a teammate (maybe once or twice max a month) and it seems to me it usualy happens after I die, because my teammates didn't play how I wanted them too. Would a possibility for resticted chat be to restrict chat for the duration of death, or at least the first 10 seconds, so players learn to take time to cool off before they get a chance to verbally abuse their teammates (again not for everyone, but restriced chat)

This is a really interesting idea, and we agree that toxicity tends to spawn a bit more after a death--part of this is because a player has very few options other than chat available to them during a death.

I'll have to think more about the idea of restricting chat during death.

Quote:

Also could you give an overview of your average day, or what a day for you could be like? (I love learning about this kind of stuff)

Everyday is different for me these days, but the most important thing is that I'm learning something new everyday. One day, I'll be working in the trenches with the player behavior team trying to work on the latest project. Another day, we'll be spinning up a research project with a university lab to see how insights and research from League of Legends can inform and change the world of science. Or another day, we might be trying to fix a unique player behavior situation in Southeast Asia that we haven't seen anywhere else.

NiceanLoH

07-27-2013

That was a really cool talk to watch, it made me happy to see what you guys are doing.

I've had my share of ragers, but I've also had the joy of meeting a few other players in a game (sometimes even a premade 4 will include me so we'll be a premade 5) and then spending a few hours with my new friends.

It seems like complicated data to gather, but do you look at that kind of thing? Most of the time if you're making friends, you're not getting all that mad, it seems. It's also (I think) the most fun thing in your game, so any way to reward those people would be awesome. I'm a busy and social dude, so if I can rationalize spending a while playing video games by saying that I'm actually meeting people and making friends, it's nice and relaxing.

Thanks for all you do.

1337L33THeirm

07-27-2013

Why do you pair people up based on how many game they've played? From what I've seen, games with people who are new to ranked have a lot less ****talking, more teamwork and more fun, even if it's just 1 new person on the team. Games with people who have a lot of games seem to be really toxic and unfun.

Quote:
Lyte:
We recently just rolled out a beta test of a new matchmaking change that is live in NA only. When we make sure it has the desired effects, we'll turn it on globally.

--

The matchmaker will now take into account the [Number of Wins] a player has in every matchmade queue (Normal SR, Normal TT, Ranked Solo/Duo, etc).

This means that for the first few minutes, the matchmaker will attempt to find teammates and opponents that have a relatively similar [Number of Wins] as you in addition to trying to find teammates and opponents that also have a similar [Elo]. However, this does not mean it's impossible to get matched into a game with a large difference in [Number of Wins]--it's just more rare.

Happy to discuss the matchmaking change here or any other matchmaking questions players might have. For reference, I've provided some older matchmaking discussions we've had in the past:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1827767
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=1976101

PS - RiotKiddington was the dev that did most of the work.

Quote:
We agree, [Number of Wins] doesn't directly correlate with higher skill; however, we've done some initial analyses and there's some tangible advantages to adding this parameter to the matchmaker.

Quote:
There's one slight nuance to your analysis: League of Legends has a level and unlock system that isn't true in Chess. As a player plays more games they get more IP which is then used to unlock Champions or Runes.

Ah found it. How's this working out for you?

edit: ofc he ignores it, it's not just praise but an actual question. He never told us the " tangible advantages" and doesn't give the results of how this new parameter has changed mm. Just like we'll never really know why DL gets rigged b5 smurfs to **** people with.

WukongBR

07-27-2013

How innovative and edgy do you feel for coining the term "Toxic" for all the community to throw around for anything they don't like?

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

07-27-2013

Quote:
Th3 Herbalist:
Hey Lyte,

I saw this idea of a "mercy vote" for teams who have leavers on them and though I believe it needs fine-tuning (as do all ideas, especially good ones) I think it has some promise. Your thoughts?

Here's the link, although I'm sure you've seen it already: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=3512300

It's an interesting idea, but what's the value proposition to the team with 5 players? Is a counter in the profile really worthwhile for players to offer mercy? Does the team with 5 players get full rewards (XP/IP/LP) when they successfully offer mercy to a team? If we continue developing ways to reduce the number of Leavers/AFKs in games, is this feature still worth making?

Lots to think about.