@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Happy Firetrucks

09-09-2013

Am I the only one who thinks Lyte's training in psychology has made him/her/it a great deceiver/juker/assassin player?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

09-09-2013
105 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinperor View Post
Hey Lyte,

Sorry if that was brought up before, but I had the spark of an idea and I was wondering what you thought about it:

What if the players that got "muted" in a match received a notification that he got muted? It would say something along the line of "Oi buddy, you made someone sad/angry/disgusted and they muted you. Quit it." or something. The notification wouldn't name the person that muted.

I thought about it, and every time we mute someone, we feel the need to tell them, like it would change something. That doesn't do much tho, I think a notification from the game client would have more heft to it. The pop-ups I suggest reminded me a bit about the behavioral alerts that were implemented, so I thought it might be an interesting addition. It isn't a ban or a chat restriction, just a reminder that all the player achieved was getting ignored for his hissy fits (or whatever he did) and hopefully a nudge in the right direction.

Thanks for your attention.
A player recently mentioned this idea to me, and I thought it was pretty interesting; however, what is the intended goal of such a feature? Theoretically, the hope is that if a toxic player is verbally abusive or harassing someone that the pop-up or feedback that others in the game have muted them would curb or stem the behavior; however, is there a chance that the pop-up or feedback itself would frustrate and piss the player off even more? Maybe the player will vent even harder at other players that haven't muted him yet.

Consider the current alternative: Right now, players can mute someone without sending them a pop-up or notification. A toxic player might continue venting or ranting and realize that they aren't getting a response, so they stop and move on--there's a chance they may learn that venting or ranting really doesn't do anything valuable for the team. But if you give them feedback and notification that they are getting through and annoying someone, maybe the pop-up or feedback even encourages them to keep acting this way and treat the pop-up as a "victory" of sorts that they irritated someone so much they actually muted them.

Now consider an alternative scenario: What if you're a positive player, trying to hold your team together with some sportsmanlike chat. Then this player gets a pop-up from a toxic player saying that they muted him--what does that player experience feel like?

Interesting idea, but lots to consider.

5murf337

09-09-2013

Hi Lyte, would you be able to tell us what % of 4v5 games end in victory for the 4. I don't feel it's as impossible to win 4v5s as people are making out!

Thanks.

Mecha KhaZix

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
A player recently mentioned this idea to me, and I thought it was pretty interesting; however, what is the intended goal of such a feature? Theoretically, the hope is that if a toxic player is verbally abusive or harassing someone that the pop-up or feedback that others in the game have muted them would curb or stem the behavior; however, is there a chance that the pop-up or feedback itself would frustrate and piss the player off even more? Maybe the player will vent even harder at other players that haven't muted him yet.

Consider the current alternative: Right now, players can mute someone without sending them a pop-up or notification. A toxic player might continue venting or ranting and realize that they aren't getting a response, so they stop and move on--there's a chance they may learn that venting or ranting really doesn't do anything valuable for the team. But if you give them feedback and notification that they are getting through and annoying someone, maybe the pop-up or feedback even encourages them to keep acting this way and treat the pop-up as a "victory" of sorts that they irritated someone so much they actually muted them.

Now consider an alternative scenario: What if you're a positive player, trying to hold your team together with some sportsmanlike chat. Then this player gets a pop-up from a toxic player saying that they muted him--what does that player experience feel like?

Hmm, it's almost like those games were I don't say anything wrong, just trying to direct my team, trying to coordinate everyone, then I get a popup saying I've been reported for Negative Attitude.

Hmm.

Dessembrae

09-09-2013

Lyte,

Have you considered a feature where you have the opportunity to give your teammates a rating of 1-10 based upon your experience with them that game? When the player next logs in, a composite score from all of the ratings they received from their last login session is displayed.

This provides an anonymous, yet good indicator of how their daily play is affecting other players.

Jukka Sarasti

09-09-2013

Quote:

I will anecdotally back up the bolded point. I'm a bit of an *******. I will take responsibility for my actions. Hopefully Lyte doesn't go through my match history and send me a probably deserved ban, I've been getting a lot of warnings lately.

That being said, yup, if I'm raging, and someone tells me I'm muted, 1 of 2 things happens:
1. Still rage to the team, I just focus on the people who haven't muted me
2. Still rage to the team, but make it about the person who muted me

Now, I'm not every toxic player, just one, but there are likely others that do the same thing.

And again, I know it's wrong, and if I get banned for it, its a justifiable ban, but I figured I'd throw that out there.

Jukka Sarasti

09-09-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessembrae View Post
Lyte,

Have you considered a feature where you have the opportunity to give your teammates a rating of 1-10 based upon your experience with them that game? When the player next logs in, a composite score from all of the ratings they received from their last login session is displayed.

This provides an anonymous, yet good indicator of how their daily play is affecting other players.
Not gonna matter at all to the ******* who can carry the hell out of his team. His ego is gonna tell him they just need to shut up and play and he's got nothing to answer for or change.

Hlud

09-09-2013

Quote:

Lyte,

I think the anonymity of the notification could in fact do more harm than good, but do like the idea of a notification, especially one in the chat that states "XXXXXXX muted YYYYYY". In situations where teams are not using Skype or some other voice communication software, it can be very important to know that a teammate is not seeing your chats, directions, cries for help, or encouragement.

To this point, in your first scenario, the concern seems to be that the toxic player would then search for a next target, or spew elsewhere. I would imagine that an individual views a mute as a victory would either a) continue til he/she was muted by everyone or b) accept his/her victory and focus attention back on the game at hand. In result "a" I'm convinced that such behaviour would not be exacerbated by the muting notifications any more than it would be prevented by it, but it does (somewhat) protect the (sanity of) the positive players.

In the second scenario, I would also point out that for a player to mute a positive, constructive, helpful player, they would inherently be at a point where they were not responding well to direction or listening to the positive player in the first place, so it would actually be good for the positive player to know that they were not being heard and tailor communications accordingly. Better to know that the player you are asking for help and you see running towards you didn't see what you wrote than to not know it, right?

Do you agree?

Meatflapz

09-10-2013

Your matchmaking needs more work!!!! It is the main reason I do not enjoy this game. Everyday the forums are filled with examples of players sharing horror stories about it. So I know I am not alone in my opinion (the ones about lane/role issues do not count) Why has no one on your team done anything to make it better? There are over 100 champions, the matchmaking system and it's issues are obviously on the back burner around there. This is very sad, everyone would enjoy this game more if you only had 75 champions and you expended the same effort on the last 30 or so champions on improving your matchmaking system.

Raptamei

09-10-2013

Quote:
Getting 3 popup warnings telling me I've been reported for being disruptive just because I picked jungle Morgana in bleeping blind pick doesn't make me particularly happy, you know.

Now there's a little devil on my shoulder telling me that if I'm getting flamed and reported anyway for losing a match with an unconventional pick, I might as well give my team a reason to report me.