@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sincarnation

08-13-2013

I just made a thread about this but here goes
Ok so I just played a game with what actually might be the worst player ive ever dealt with. He later made an agreement with my team for them all to report me for verbal abuse when it was the other way around. Im pretty sure he was duo with someone else. Game ends we lose i move into a Q again and i get a warning for verbal abuse. My question is two-part.
1. How many reports does it take to get a warning, is it one game, one report what? Im fairly certain i havent raged at anyone because i dont usually get frustrated in games since i dont take them all that seriously.

2. Is it possible to review the last game chat log and comment on how i responded. I want to make sure im in the right here. It was my last lee sin game and rager was ashe.

I seriously appreciate any response

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
Interesting idea
If this feature was live, would you tell us? It feels to me like you could have some unintended consequences, like people looking at what kind of tip is displayed and assuming someone in their game is toxic based on that.

Mitch3264

Recruiter

08-14-2013

Hi Lyte,

So I watched the link that you gave us in the post referring to the talk that you gave with GDC Vault (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/191262/) and I really liked the video and wanted to tell you nice job for working so well with the community to make it a better place.

I especially liked learning about the Priming experiment because I often wondered why the "Did You Know" came up with what I sometimes referred to as useless information. i.e. "Wearing sunglasses will protect you from the sun". I was just wondering if there's any thought in the future of letting people choose what kind of "tips" they would like to see.

I personally really enjoy all the tips talking about Summoner behavior or things that actually relate to the game, including fun but useless facts like (Champion X's dance is based off a Rioter's celebratory dance), but I never liked getting the useless facts because they were just that. Could there be a way to turn these off and leave the other cool ones in?

simpsonboy77

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-14-2013

Not sure if this is really player behavior, but it somewhat is.

What is Riot going to do about the burden of knowledge required to play this game? For a new player they need to know 110+ champions, each with 4 skills, and sometimes a relevant passive. That is a lot of learn. I think if I started playing now I would by level 5. What if there was a game mode which locked certain high skill cap, and pubstomp champions, such as Twisted Fate, Oriana, lee sin, akali, eve, yi.

Is there a way to shield new players from level 1 smurfs? It seems like they need to lose 3 games or so until they get out of smurfville. What if I make a smurf to play with a friend who is just starting out? For the first few games I can carry almost regardless of my team, but after that my friend will continuously have 0/7 games. It would be nice if I can do a shared screen, basically spectator mode without a delay but I only see their point of view. I know that is out of the scope of your job, but its an idea.

Deathgigas

08-14-2013

So here's a question for Riot. Why is it that you are so heavily punished for losing streaks but not rewarded at all for winning streaks? Is it just my assessment of this or has anyone else noticed this as well? For example: I went on a 5 game winning streak and received LP in approx. this fashion, 7, 8, 5, 7, 8. On the other hand I proceeded to lose 5 games in a row and lost LP like this: -4, -6, -9 , -13 , -19. I don't know if its just a randomly generated figure or if its calculated somehow... but to me it just seems off. How can I play a 45 minute game and get +5 lp for winning, but lose a 20 minute surrender and lose 13? Just wish I knew how they rate LP for games so I can correct whatever I am doing wrong if anything.

Luthica

08-14-2013

PLEASE do chat restriction. This is the reason I don't play normals alone anymore and have to ban 1-2 people per game in ranked.

EmomeO

08-14-2013

well i strongly suggest in champion select in ranked, there should be choice to us player to report a team member but not that much punishment or up to you developers, but it will only work if 4 of the members will report. Just for example if someone called adc and he/she is in last pick and he did not get that role cause the first pick took it, and the last pick will say that he will be trolling or picking randomly. i recommend this action should be implemented for further issues. this problem happens to me a lot and most of it are horrible and sometimes im getting tired of playing league of legends just of this problem.

KoB Heathcliff

08-14-2013

sounds stupid, its like insta report for "refusing to communicate with team", just fix ur match making system and stop matching me with bronze players

Bruticus44

08-14-2013

Ideally we should all be playing LoL in teams, since this is a team game. Solo que only exists because we don't have all our friends online at the same time. However, this creates issues because you are forcing random teams every new game. This really can detract from the overall experience of the game and can make the players feel discouraged because they have no control over the random trolls that can ruin their games.

@Lyte:

I think it would make this game much more tolerable if Riot found some way to match you with teammates from a defined pool of people (maybe 100 individuals?). Interacting with the same people over and over increases the likely hood of developing the team mentality and decreases the thought that these are just randoms who you will never see again anyway. Ignoring certain users would prevent them from queing with you again.

This would allow people to grow as a team and interact with each other's strengths while reducing toxicity, since you would be playing with these people over long periods of time. An example of this is when you join a server on a FPS game and play with the same individuals from game to game and from day to day.

Thanks for your time, I will be making this a separate thread so other players can comment and critique this idea specifically.

TriSpada Kotori

08-14-2013

How well do the currently implemented systems deal with, for lack of a better word, "bipolar" players? You know, the type that kowtows to and drools over good teammates, and cusses out less-than-stellar ones, often in very bad English? Are these players considered toxic, or between toxic and neutral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
For a punishment or restriction to be effective, it has to be meaningful to the player. If a player only wants to play Vayne, and we restrict Vayne, that's meaningful; but, how many players would simply play other champions for a few games, making the punishment meaningless?
How about an algorithm to lock their favorite role(s) (i.e. champs with X tag) for Y number of games? This relates to a prevalent problem among glory-hogs who often call carries and hence get inflated egos, what we in the Philippines call "bidagamers"; they're a very common source of toxic behavior.