@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-13-2013
83 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropicana0J View Post
Shouldn't it also be related to what the person has actually done? Resitricting people from their favourite champions for a few games because of bad behaviour doesn't seem like it helps to point out what the player has done wrong or how they could improve in the way that restricted chat ("maybe I didn't need to insult my team to play after all") or even a ban does.

All restricting champions would realy do is say that you've been a jerk, now you basically aren't allowed to have fun or play as well as you could be, so they might see it as an incentive to make the games until they get their favourites back as painful for everyone else as it might be for them.
It depends. If you look at classic Psychology studies on shaping behaviors, the punishments don't necessarily have to be related to (or tied to) the action or behaviors you are trying to extinguish. In some classic cases, scientists used to use light electric shocks to shape the behavior of rats; in this case the electric shocks had no relevance to what behaviors the scientists were trying to shape in the rats.

However, if the focus is to shield or reduce the spread of toxicity, then having punishments relate to the toxic actions is important. If a player is mostly abusive through in-game chat channels, then being punished with Restricted Chat Mode would be a highly effective punishment that helps the player reform but has the additional bonus effect of shielding other players from his behavior if he doesn't reform.

Nastuhi

08-13-2013

That is really awesome!

Fomorian27

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-13-2013

You may or may not have mentioned this, but is it possible to tailor the tips to the players? Say a player has been reported for racial slurs previously, so the tip they see more often than others is "players vote overwhelmingly to punish racial slurs and hate speech."

Ladayen

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
It depends. If you look at classic Psychology studies on shaping behaviors, the punishments don't necessarily have to be related to (or tied to) the action or behaviors you are trying to extinguish. In some classic cases, scientists used to use light electric shocks to shape the behavior of rats; in this case the electric shocks had no relevance to what behaviors the scientists were trying to shape in the rats.
Can we look at introducing this into tribunal?

DeafCatMoan

08-13-2013

Lyte wants us all hooked up to electrodes

BlueKnife

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM Lunar Rush View Post
Can i ask something?, I used to make about 2500 ip a day now im still playing the same amount of time but i get like 900 did somethng change?
It's depend on the game mode you play. If you're still playing Coop-vs-AI it will yield less XP and IP the higher level you are. At level 30 Coop-vs-AI Beginer will only gives 55%. Custom games have a 25% penalty.

MazerRackhem11

08-13-2013

Hey Lyte,

I've running into an issue lately where I'll load in either ahead of or behind everyone else in champ select in normal mode. The resulting being that I'll call a role that someone else has called, but whose chat line I can't see because I loaded in late, or else someone will call or lock in a role I've already called and claim they don't see my chat line. The ultimate result is almost always that people end up fighting over who said what and the rest of the champ select time results in bad blood, que dodgers, or multiple qued roles (i.e. Kassadin and Karthus both heading mid). In the best case scenarios it gets worked out but there's no time to adjust roles or talk strategy. Although this doesn't happen every game I've noticed it happening a lot more lately.

I was wondering. Is there anyway RIOT could cache the chat log in pregame so that players who load up a little slower than others see the full chat log when they arrive rather than just the chats placed after they loaded in? It seems like a simple enough modification which would solve a world of headache when a player is qued with players of either much faster or slower PCs than himself or herself.

BlueKnife

08-13-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
For a punishment or restriction to be effective, it has to be meaningful to the player. If a player only wants to play Vayne, and we restrict Vayne, that's meaningful; but, how many players would simply play other champions for a few games, making the punishment meaningless?
That's true. But everyone has favorite champions. And I've seen lot of case where toxicity begin when a player refuse anything but the role they want with the champion they want. Wouldn't restricting them from playing their favorite champions help them inscrease their champions roster.

That will also make the player change their playing habit slightly which may be a good experience from time to time. For example: some may realise they're not as good as others in playing their favorite champions. Others may see that they're quite good with some champions they have not noticed earlier.

EDIT: The things I want to focus here is CHANGES not PUNISHMENT.

While it may seem meaningless, if the punishment inscrease as the player get more reports, they will have to adjust their behavior eventually: they're running out of champions to play .

An after thought: forcing the player to play champions they're not used to may inscrease their chance to lost which may affect other players and inscrease toxicity -> blaming Riot for restricting them -> they lost. But in some case, give them a change to improve their skill by playing a different champions from time to time. I wonder which case is more likely to happen?

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

08-13-2013
84 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomorian27 View Post
You may or may not have mentioned this, but is it possible to tailor the tips to the players? Say a player has been reported for racial slurs previously, so the tip they see more often than others is "players vote overwhelmingly to punish racial slurs and hate speech."
Interesting idea

Frostfire20

08-13-2013

Can I say something? Can you make it so that those tips in Dominion are block-able? I already know how to play Dominion, I don't need to be told every single game to capture the towers and stuff.