@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

naotasan

08-12-2013

@Lyte

Are you aware of the bullying and the (I hate using this word, but here it goes) "toxic" behavior of players who make fun of other players based on the game modes they play?
And it's justified by "SR master race" comments?

When ever I post anywhere about Twisted Treeline or Dominion, I get spammed with instant "stfu scrub and play sr"

SlamHannigan

08-12-2013

Curious question about the behavior initiatives, Lyte. There are plenty of measures in place to deter raging out and acting toxic, and that's great. I especially think the warning system is a nice touch. But what's being done from the other end -- rewarding players for good behavior?

The honor system is a start, but the problem with it is that it doesn't really count as positive reinforcement, since there isn't a tangible reward. Are there any ideas currently in the planning stage that offer more of a reward for good behavior?

To clarify what I mean by "tangible reward", imagine a teacher handing out gold stars for doing well on a quiz. If it's just the gold stars up on a board, then that's not really a strong motivator for the kids. If, however, the teacher makes it so a child can exchange a certain number of gold stars for a candy bar, suddenly you'll see the kids get into their books.

Lonely Fry Cook

08-12-2013

Just left a game where the support bought 0 wards and our Ashe built GP5 and magic pen items....

I spent the game wasting my gold (obviously) warding bot, but they still fed 7 kills. I used constructive criticism to try and help but to no avail. Top picked a counter to his lane and complained about not getting a gank when mid and bot were both counterpicked.

I went bandage toss at level 1 to secure first blood, and I begged for help at the enemy blue to down it.... no one came. I went to get my red and blue and then had to back due to low HP. I was then "reprimanded" for going b.

Fastforward a couple of minutes... Teammate calls for a gank, I pinged to let him know I was going in. He used his gap closer before the flash, and backed off after diving when he was at 10 HP. I died, of course, because of 0 follow up damage and then I get taunted.

Meanwhile, bottom lane was getting destroyed... I look and LO AND BEHOLD, no wards on either of them and Ashe had nothing but gp5 items. The next buy was a Liandrys' Torment.... I told everyone to report Ashe for being a troll. We had several teamfights where Ashe, of course, did 0 damage.

Then they group push mid. Our top is off farming, Ashe is in the jungle, and it's 3v5 and we are down. I pinged, and pinged, and typed, and pinged, and of course we get destroyed. Then, the natural thing happens, and everyone blames the jungle. I said that we only had one decent person on our team and that everyone else was bad... Then came the OMG YOU ARE GETTING REPORTED FOR VERBAL ABUSE... from one of the trolls...

I mean seriously. You're system will never EVER be right, and it only punishes people who are competitive because trolls will ALWAYS make a new account. You need to stop this Tribunal **** because they don't ever look at the entirety of the game, just the "language" in question.

You are trying to model this game to be an ideal experience, but you are just letting jackass 20 somethings who still live at home with mom take advantage of it. You should have a staff monitoring this instead of the players. We all know how greedy businesses are though, so that will never happen. Why hire staff when you can exploit your players?

zProtoman

08-12-2013

I am so done with this game. I spent so much money and time in this game for what? Getting trolled? Getting told I'm bad when I in fact am not and not doing good 1/10th of my games? No, I invested my money to improve the game since I love its style and game-play so much. But what sucks COMPLETE and UTTER ass about this game is the community. You know what will make people actually stop trolling????? Anyone that decides to have a negative attitude automatically gets banned. I don't care if you are having a bad day, You do not need to vent in my game spewing negativity. It's irritating and annoying. I'm 16 years old turning 17 in 2 months, and I have to deal with 5 year olds INCLUDING the real ones I have at home. Do you know how IRRITATING it is? I think Riot and their staff don't truly understand till they actually play with these people. Because I cant take this game seriously with a damn Attack Speed Orianna. I just can't. Can a staff member please explain to me why they can't just lay down the hammer and ban these people. I cant climb at all unless I mute people. But if I mute people I can't see calls or Mias etc. I don't know what to do anymore, I just want a refund if Riot can't fix the biggest issue in this game. Screw Lucian, screw LCS, Screw new patches. Fix the trolls please, they are what is breaking the game, not the releases of Zyra, Elise, Jayce etc....

zProtoman

08-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamHannigan View Post
Curious question about the behavior initiatives, Lyte. There are plenty of measures in place to deter raging out and acting toxic, and that's great. I especially think the warning system is a nice touch. But what's being done from the other end -- rewarding players for good behavior?

The honor system is a start, but the problem with it is that it doesn't really count as positive reinforcement, since there isn't a tangible reward. Are there any ideas currently in the planning stage that offer more of a reward for good behavior?

To clarify what I mean by "tangible reward", imagine a teacher handing out gold stars for doing well on a quiz. If it's just the gold stars up on a board, then that's not really a strong motivator for the kids. If, however, the teacher makes it so a child can exchange a certain number of gold stars for a candy bar, suddenly you'll see the kids get into their books.
I think they should focus on banning people other than rewarding the good people.

zProtoman

08-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We've considered queue restrictions, but have to carefully weigh the potential costs. If we restrict negative players from playing a queue, what is the execution? Is it time-based, or is it game-based (i.e = they have to play X number of Normal Summoner's Rift games to unlock Ranked again). In either case, if we restrict Ranked queues from negative players, do they simply shift their toxicity into the other game modes? Is that a worthwhile risk?

We know that context plays a powerful role in shaping one's behavior, so it might be that the player would be perfectly sportsmanlike in other queues and Ranked is just a high-tension environment that creates toxicity; however, the player might just be having a streak of bad days (or weeks) and directly carry the negative behavior into other queues.

Look, If someone gets enough reports just ban them for a couple of hours, if they get back on and keep the same attitude make it longer. If they have the same attitude throughout their history I think they deserve to be banned. If trolls were banned, More people would be in higher ranks and trust me, we wont see any trolls. Maybe once a while. I'd rather have them every 5 to 10 games then every single game.

SlamHannigan

08-12-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TdotOPKilla View Post
I think they should focus on banning people other than rewarding the good people.
It should be incredibly easy to do both, since both accomplish the same goal of reducing toxicity in the game. There are two ways to correct behavior -- one is punitive, which we have, and one is positive reinforcement, which we don't really have. Using both together would work.

Sinderalla

08-12-2013

do me a favor and quit your job this post is absolutly lying Ever since you started I have been reported for negative attitude every game when all I do is talk positively for 40 minutes and give up when my team has feed intentionally and wasted an hour of my day then call them an ass hole learn to do you job you fake psychologist

ReN3GrAdE

08-12-2013

@RIOT, will there be a message for the team on who will be restricted in chatting?, because players might report for not communicating

Epikarus

08-12-2013

I asked this in the other thread, but no answer. Did we give consent to participate in this psychological experiment? I'm pretty sure its illegal to do such experiments without consent.