@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

1kshards

08-07-2013

I have a question about games with greifers, afkers, etc. What will be done about this? Games with people who grief or go afk ruin ranked. I would know since I just lost over 30 LP as a result of an afk Jayce. He didn't actually get marked as afk, because he made sure to do some sort of action every few minutes, but either way, he wasnt contributing to the teamwork factor, with a score of 0/3/0 (before going afk). I am afraid to play ranked because I will get demoted, because I fear something like this happening again. I am saying that the tanked matchmaking system isnt much of a measure of skill, but more of a measure of luck (i.e. Someone has a large tendency to get negative team mates, griefers, afkers, etc. in ranked being in bronze, contrary to the person in gold who, from provisionals, had a high tendency for skilled players on their team, and never getting griefers, trolls, afkers, or negative team mates).

Also, I am nto sure if this counted as a question in the margin you layed out, but please consider what i have said.

arcticturtle

08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodoku View Post
Insincere praise is a very bad thing, as is a transparently insincere smile.
OK, so I guess I chose bad examples. Maybe it's better to not always display a smiling face, so that when it appears it actually is like a reward.

In any case, I think that getting a smile back and a "well done" is good, because even when you do well you rarely get anything back from the people you play with. At least that is true for the few hundred games I have under my belt. And just getting a smile and some recognition from the game, even if artificial, should do something to increase morale.

Trimead

08-07-2013

posting because relevance and suggestion continuation.

http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com....php?t=3745122

VENlVIDlVICl

08-07-2013

Hey Lyte,

I know this isn't really your 'part of expertise' or whatever, but since you've answered some questions about easier friend invitations and you had something to do with the change of the loading screen, could you take a look at this and tell me what you think about it?

Thanks in advance!

ALK720KO

08-07-2013

I was thinking if we are going to move away from banning, what about making them loose there influence points that they've earned when they troll/signs of rage quitting. In ranked I've seen less leavers because there is a punishment that you loose your league points.

TheFinalEpicX

08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We've always said that we prefer reforming toxic players first, and will only remove them on a last resort basis.

We are currently handing out massive chat bans before permanent bans these days though, and are trying to research new ways to reduce the motivation for toxic players to simply make new accounts. One way would be to add more 'account restrictions' and just let these players stay on their main accounts.
@ Lyte I'm going to be completely honest with the system how the system affected me and my reaction. I am by all rights is toxic when I get mad. This is just an honest response.

My first account of this game(TheFinalEpic), I had A LOT of bans on it, I was being completely toxic and with due right deserved everyone of em. In between bans, I would play on my 2nd account(InfinityEpic) (smurf) and raged and was toxic as heck without a care in the world because I knew that account really didn't matter.

TheFinalEpic finally got perma banned. I was shocked, wanted to get it back but couldn't and vowed to stay try to keep my new main, InfinityEpic, clean and out of the tribunal. Now of course the smurf had a lot of bans on itself already since I was toxic on it when I was playing it between bans of thefinalepic. However I didn't learn my lessons at all. I got really mad at bad plays and raged, And got banned from time to time again, which makes me created my 3rd account, this one, to play between bans, and of course... I was toxic on that one too, since I thought InfintiyEpic wouldnt be perma banned. As this was all going on, you released restricted chat mode... which I personally think is a great idea.... It actually stoped my raging, whenever I would want to rage, I would look at how many chat numbers I would have at the bottom, and I would think to myself, maybe I should save it for communicating and make some plays than actually rage (I really thought about that) and really was non toxic and was playing really better than ever with restricted chat mode on rather than off. I personally think you should make an option for people who is like me, who cant control themselves to have the option to turn restricted chat mode on or off, it would help a lot.

Anyway, restricted chat mode was released on the last of my ban of InfinityEpic, and after I did my restricted chats, for some reason... toxicity appears agin!! Its just my temper really. And if you guessed it, the next ban after the last, it was a perma. Which makes this account now my main.

If you notice it really looks like an endless cycle, which in all rights I really want to break out of. Even on this account its on the verge of a perma ban, it already received at 2 week ban. Doing my restricted chat mode right now, and I feel like when when it is on, I'm actually more careful of what I say, I'm more friendly and I actually do work with my team more for some reason.... its just a psychology thing, Idk. I really hope to try to keep this account of the tribunal... i really need to shut my mouth.

What I'm saying is, perm ban players like me, they do rage but a lot of times they really don't mean it, its just bad temper. And instead of perma banning them and then getting an endless cycle of playing ur smurf to make it your main then getting it perma banned again, maybe make em have restricted mode on forever or something, idk. Or have restricted mode be optional to turn on and off.

Just wanted to give how I dealt with the perma bans xD

As a random fact, TheFinalEpic highest rank was Bronze 1, InfinityEpic was Silver 4, while this one is currently Gold V xD.....

TheShadowWalkerX

08-07-2013

@Lyte, here's an idea for the que system so that there are less issues, give people an option for solo que to select the roles they want to play before hand and then have the game finder place them with players who want the other roles that they haven't selected. it would cut back the trolling and a lot of the social issues.

Bacon Overflow

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2013

I take exception with you calling yourself a scientist. What you're doing could barely even be considered anthropology, which isn't really a science.

ShadowNinetails

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-07-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadowWalkerX View Post
@Lyte, here's an idea for the que system so that there are less issues, give people an option for solo que to select the roles they want to play before hand and then have the game finder place them with players who want the other roles that they haven't selected. it would cut back the trolling and a lot of the social issues.
I can almost assure you that this won't happen. It would almost require Riot to officially endorse the current meta and would make it more difficult to bring new strats to the table.

LynXLytE

08-07-2013

When you really think about it, you start to realize players are very limited in their "affect" on in-game toxic behavior.

Consider that the most a player can actually do when it comes to dealing with a toxic event:
A) Type out a rational conversation with the bully/troll [ENGAGE]
B) Mute [IGNORE]
C) Post-game report [FILE]

When it comes to perceived affect (a sense of justice), none of these options really offer any active intervention. Typing to a troll/rager often leads down a distracting and frustrating path. Muting the player turns a blind-eye to the behavior, which could continue to worsen and become directed towards others. Waiting to file a report delays any intervention, and often you have no idea the result of the tribunal system.

So what options are Riot considering when it comes to actually allowing players a chance to intervene? What options do players have when their teammate is getting bullied? Are these effective? Do they foster community?

Here's one suggestion: http://forums.na.leagueoflegends.com...8#post40515838