@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xI BaHaMuT Ix

07-27-2013

Why dont u guys just delete teemo to fix the rage?

Weapon XIII

07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsonpuppies View Post
Hey Lyte. Let's be honest here.

I don't care that you're a scientist.

I want you to do your best to fix the community. To hell with your "science" and experiments. I want to see some actual results in the community. Nothing has changed, and your updates are extremely few and far between. You've done nothing to impress me, and not once have I seen the community's thoughts actually been implemented into this area of the game.
They simply don't want to perma ban players because they'll end up losing money from their addicting free game.

Kryshim

07-27-2013

outta curiosity, how do the various regions compare in terms of trolling in champion select. are there regions where it is more prevalent? are there regions where it is less prevalent, simply due to how players deal with it?

iComplicate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-27-2013

Why can we not trade skins?

Lyte

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

07-27-2013
4 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dunkmaster View Post
I feel like your efforts have made a ton of difference.

I'm not sure where people are getting all the "omg ragers and afkers every game wtf riot"

the worst it gets for me is a rager or two but it usually resolves itself.
Well, we know from research that negative events tend to weigh heavier in the mind and memory than positive events. Some research suggests that it takes up to 4 to 11 positive events to 'override' a negative event.

In addition, more players tend report negative events than positive events. Consider how many people call an internet provider to congratulate them on great service versus the number that call an internet provider to complain that the service is down.

Ophirr

07-27-2013

What are your thoughts on giving players behavior alerts for when they slip from being overall 'positive' players into just being 'neutral' players? Probably not worth the resources, but just a thought that I had.

Lyte

07-27-2013
5 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta Grim View Post
I'd really like the ability to self mute, have you guys thought about adding in such a feature?
We're debating whether we want to expand Restricted Chat Mode and allow players to opt-in to Restricted Chat. Ultimately, we want players to improve their behaviors until they don't need Restricted Chat Mode, and there's concern that players who opt-in to Restricted Chat actually don't improve their behaviors and are happy staying in Restricted Chat Mode forever.

However, maybe having some players stay in Restricted Chat Mode forever is still better than nothing at all, so it's worth considering.

Lyte

07-27-2013
6 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugis View Post
Doesn't showing border colors increase rage? Someone with, say, a silver border being in plat games can cause lot's of pre-judgments.
When borders were first launched, quite a few players gave feedback that border colors increase toxicity; however, we ran a few studies and saw that this wasn't the case. Players with 'lower' border colors did not receive any additional harassment or reports compared to the players with higher border colors in the same game.

iComplicate

07-27-2013

Do you think Restricted Chat is going to cut down on the amount of permanent bans? I mean a lot of people are toxic in chat only, so if they had permanent Restricted Chat, it might give them a chance to shape up.

BTW the reason I asked about the skins is because Hippalus never comes around anymore.

Lyte

07-27-2013
7 of 107 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneVendetta View Post
Do neutral players (those who hardly talk) have higher win ratio than those who do (both negative and positive players)?

What's the main thing u can say about neutral players statistics wise?
Generally, players who are positive (or more sportsmanlike) win more games than players who are neutral or negative. Players who are neutral (or hardly talk) tend to win more games than players who are negative.

We're hoping to talk more about these specific stats in the future.