Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlexanderNVV

Member

07-28-2013

what you are doing Lyte isnt any kind of science

you dont analyze player behavior, you only analyze numbers behind it and this is as stupid as saying that a champion is OP or UP only judging from their lolking statistics

let alone that its been ages since report system became a major troll tool where its easy to get anyone banned through tribunal just by writing lies in the report itself


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tenmar

Senior Member

07-28-2013

I just don't want to read chat when I play this game anymore ally or enemy. It's honestly a huge distraction now and just makes me become unfocused from my own game. All I want is a disable in game chat function where the chat box is just removed outright.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DreamsOfGrandeur

Senior Member

07-28-2013

Quote:
SlightlySuicidal:
I read every Lyte post here. I was expecting this to be about the high elos all getting loaded smurfs.

Did he not touch on the big elephant in the room or did no one ask it?

What was the purpose for high elo players getting fully loaded smurfs and stomping some low skilled players? Was this your doing or someone elses? There were rumors about a player behavior study. If it was a player behavior study, did you find out anything worthwhile? Was there another way you could do it?


That's not an elephant at all.

The main reason for smurfs is due to toxic players making new accounts when permanently banned. (They're not even "high-elo", just more experienced than genuine newbies and casuals.)

All of Lyte and his department's current efforts are to reduce toxicity and lean away from permanent bans. Thus, smurfs will naturally reduce in number as they are more successful.

The "elephant" you see, is merely a by-product of a much bigger prevailing issue, toxicity.


Quote:
AlexanderNVV:
what you are doing Lyte isnt any kind of science

you dont analyze player behavior, you only analyze numbers behind it and this is as stupid as saying that a champion is OP or UP only judging from their lolking statistics


LOL

You clearly don't fully grasp how "science" works.
Lyte isn't only analyzing the numbers; he's analyzing player behaviour, converting his observations into numbers, and then analyzing those numbers with other findings - That's science!

Stay in school, Alexander.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kodoku

Senior Member

07-28-2013

Quote:
or life in general being a scientist in the gaming industry in this thread.


To what extent do you see mathematicians having a role in the gaming industry beyond statistics, and are there any particular things you see as being valuable to study if one wanted to keep that option open? I'm starting my master's this fall, and will probably focus on mathematical analysis but I have plenty of room for extra courses on the side. If I don't go into academia, I could always go into the financial industry but would much prefer to avoid selling my soul.

Quote:
you dont analyze player behavior, you only analyze numbers behind it


Welcome to science since the 17th century.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Happy Firetrucks

Member

07-28-2013

Quote:
Kodoku:
To what extent do you see mathematicians having a role in the gaming industry beyond statistics, and are there any particular things you see as being valuable to study if one wanted to keep that option open? I'm starting my master's this fall, and will probably focus on mathematical analysis but I have plenty of room for extra courses on the side. If I don't go into academia, I could always go into the financial industry but would much prefer to avoid selling my soul.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination
Get out while you still can!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlexanderNVV

Member

07-28-2013

Quote:
DreamsOfGrandeur:
That's not an elephant at all.

The main reason for smurfs is due to toxic players making new accounts when permanently banned. (They're not even "high-elo", just more experienced than genuine newbies and casuals.)

All of Lyte and his department's current efforts are to reduce toxicity and lean away from permanent bans. Thus, smurfs will naturally reduce in number as they are more successful.

The "elephant" you see, is merely a by-product of a much bigger prevailing issue, toxicity.




LOL

You clearly don't fully grasp how "science" works.
Lyte isn't only analyzing the numbers; he's analyzing player behaviour, converting his observations into numbers, and then analyzing those numbers with other findings - That's science!

Stay in school, Alexander.


if you would have read at least half as much as I read about LoL's behavior system you would realize the point of my post

but who am I talking to, you probably didnt even read as many books IRL compared to what I read about the behavior in LoL


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TakashixToshirou

Recruiter

07-28-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Generally, players who are positive (or more sportsmanlike) win more games than players who are neutral or negative. Players who are neutral (or hardly talk) tend to win more games than players who are negative.

We're hoping to talk more about these specific stats in the future.

I think you're wording this poorly.

Do positive players win a higher percentage of games, or do they just play more games and therefore win more games?

Also.

I've noticed the warnings you receive are not based upon getting reported a lot over a series of games, but just getting reported by a large sum of players in a single game.

Like, getting reported by 5 players in one game rather than reported by 1 player every game for 5 games.

Why did you choose for that instead of the latter?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kodoku

Senior Member

07-28-2013

Quote:
Happy Firetrucks:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoctrination (http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/redirect.php?do=verify&redirect_url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FIndoctrination)
Get out while you still can!


I don't get it.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

YOUR CHAMP IS OP

Senior Member

07-28-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Generally, players who are positive (or more sportsmanlike) win more games than players who are neutral or negative. Players who are neutral (or hardly talk) tend to win more games than players who are negative.

We're hoping to talk more about these specific stats in the future.


More like players who are positive (more sportsmanlike) just won more games and thus weren't angry.

Like your loading screen tip says about players who are more negative - they win 23% less games right ? Guess why they're more negative AND lose more games. Yes, one causes the other, but guess what? It's the reverse of what you claim.

When someone is throwing your match, of course you are more negative.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sguerra123

Senior Member

07-28-2013

In the near future will there be any downside for loosing while being on division V of any league? Becuase not loosing anything is a huge reason many people in division V decide to troll.