@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kokonokoo

07-28-2013

I really hate it when you match me with Duo ques.

Kokonokoo

07-28-2013

Also, you do more to prevent toxicity (for good reasons) than you rewarding players for positive behaviors. I know there is a fine line between gaining things to easily, and recognizing those who actually put a good foot forward, but just as you train a dog, it makes more of an impact when you use positive reinforcement.

HotShotHUEHUE

07-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We're debating whether we want to expand Restricted Chat Mode and allow players to opt-in to Restricted Chat. Ultimately, we want players to improve their behaviors until they don't need Restricted Chat Mode, and there's concern that players who opt-in to Restricted Chat actually don't improve their behaviors and are happy staying in Restricted Chat Mode forever.

However, maybe having some players stay in Restricted Chat Mode forever is still better than nothing at all, so it's worth considering.
If you want people to not need restricted chat mode, allow people to be reported mid game and have a GM team investigate while the game is in progress with the ability to stop LP loss. Instead of letting trolls cost people several weeks worth of play with 1 troll incident.

Nothing induces rage more than a feeder / bad player / non English speaker that makes me lose 46 LP while each win gives me 3.

My parents always taught me sticks and stones will break my bones but words shall never hurt me, that apparently got lost somewhere in Cali, because Riot acts like words are WMDs, yet they want to be judged as a competitive scene while allowing people to play poorly.

I miss the DOTA banlist where if you went negative score in a game you were unable to play in ranked.

Amuq the Native

07-28-2013

Quote:
We're very open to feedback on Behavioral Alerts in particular right now and whether they can be more frustrating than helpful.
Hey Lyte,
Good job on the Behavioral Alert, and in general. I really can't wait for some results from your work on Champion Select: I've given up on Summoner's Rift for now, because the toxicity there is unbearable to me, and was turning me into a mostly negative person, which I hated. I'm now playing ARAMs exclusively, because Champion Select is random and as a consequence the game is generally much more enjoyable; when you guys have implementable ideas for Champion Select, I'll be the first one to want to test them, so please keep us informed!

About Behavioral Alerts:
I have received a few Behavioral Alerts on various accounts, maybe 3. Of those, I'd say one was totally justified; and a second one was probably justified too (although I strongly felt that the other guy was the real abuser and I had only defended myself). But the third one came up some day when I logged in after a long interruption, and I had absolutely no idea where it came from; I had no memory of my previous games on this account and couldn't tell if I had been negative or not.

So, my suggestion would be, if a player logs out in post-game screen, before the Behavioral Alert has a chance to pop, then just discard it - don't show it when the player logs back in, unless it's on the same day or something. I believe that instant feedback can be very useful, but delayed feedback is just frustrating.

Keep up the good work, the PB&J team is even more important for the health of the game than the Live Balance team. :-)

DeafCatMoan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-28-2013

Hows Honor working out?
We all saw you playing with it a while back(when suddenly everyone has a ribbon).
Results?

Kinaro

07-28-2013

Doesn't this:

Quote:
Toxicity levels in Ranked are generally higher than other game modes, but we haven't really seen significant differences in toxicity levels between low or higher level Ranked games.
contradict with this:

Quote:
Generally, players who are positive (or more sportsmanlike) win more games than players who are neutral or negative. Players who are neutral (or hardly talk) tend to win more games than players who are negative.

We're hoping to talk more about these specific stats in the future.
?

: D

Tejesh

07-28-2013

I have an idea for champion select: expand the bans to 5 per team and give each player on each team 1 ban. Share more of the power right from the outset.

Dyto

07-28-2013

please... make it so we only judge one game at a time you cant expect realistic judfements otherwise, split them up, the only games you can judge are the ones and maybe twos...

EnderForHegemon

07-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwin7 View Post
ELO hell threads will always exist because people wont accept that their skill level isnt high enough to get them to where they want to be. Like i know i belong in the tier i am in because my skill isnt that great at this game even though i play alot. Plus i dont play rank that much so i dont really care much where i am.

Garwin
What you said is exactly true, and applicable to toxicity-based Matchmaking.

Crowcide

07-28-2013

Behavioral science is a science in the same way a custodial engineer is an engineer…