@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Garwin7

07-27-2013

@Lyte

So matchmaking and behavior is the topic currently and here is just my 2 cents on maybe fixing some of it.

Have you looked at Dota 2 system where if your a leaver/afk/bad behavior your put into a low priority matchmaking?

You could maybe implement like a 3 tier system for this. Low/Medium/High would be the splits. Low is for people who afk/leave/behave badly, Medium is for the occasional person and high is for the people who rarely ever do it. This would allow the rank system to hopefully stay a bit more clean and consistent. it will put the people who troll/afk/leave games in the same tier system so they have to play with each other.

I know this is a total fix but it might help weed out some of the leavers/afk/trolls/bad behavior people. The only way to move back up tiers is dedication to being a better/nicer/non-leaver. This will force them to be better players/people so they arent with trashy teammates and opponents.

Garwin

WelcomeToTarget

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We're definitely interested in data on how players are making new friends, and how they are playing games with their friends.

We really want to create more opportunities for players to meet new friends in the future--to us, the best experiences in League of Legends are games when you hop on with a few friends.
Going to throw in my 2 cents on a feature that might be useful. Add an option where you can enable "ghost chat". Basically as soon as you enable this feature you can type all you want normally but no one will actually see it. Just you. This would offer players the opportunity to vent without negative consequences.

The Blade of TSM

07-27-2013

Met you at PAX East 2013. You rule man.

EnderForHegemon

07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garwin7 View Post
@Lyte

So matchmaking and behavior is the topic currently and here is just my 2 cents on maybe fixing some of it.

Have you looked at Dota 2 system where if your a leaver/afk/bad behavior your put into a low priority matchmaking?

You could maybe implement like a 3 tier system for this. Low/Medium/High would be the splits. Low is for people who afk/leave/behave badly, Medium is for the occasional person and high is for the people who rarely ever do it. This would allow the rank system to hopefully stay a bit more clean and consistent. it will put the people who troll/afk/leave games in the same tier system so they have to play with each other.

I know this is a total fix but it might help weed out some of the leavers/afk/trolls/bad behavior people. The only way to move back up tiers is dedication to being a better/nicer/non-leaver. This will force them to be better players/people so they arent with trashy teammates and opponents.

Garwin
We get enough stuff about ELO hell already :S imagine the Toxicity hell posts if this were to ever occur?

Gefgarion

07-27-2013

Have you put any thought into doing away with smurf accounts?
You have said this is a problem with people who are punished. How about the high level players (whether banned or not) who decide to start smurfing? When you take a quick look through GD posts about streamers, quite a few mention smurfing their way up to where their main is. Combine this with the stupid new tiered league system and you get toxic games for players forced to play in games with these players.

Garwin7

07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderForHegemon View Post
We get enough stuff about ELO hell already :S imagine the Toxicity hell posts if this were to ever occur?
ELO hell threads will always exist because people wont accept that their skill level isnt high enough to get them to where they want to be. Like i know i belong in the tier i am in because my skill isnt that great at this game even though i play alot. Plus i dont play rank that much so i dont really care much where i am.

Garwin

NA Darklarik

07-27-2013

Hey Lyte. Recently i had in drop in my good behavior when i changed Servers, people just started getting to me. Fortunately the Chat restriction set me back on course, however, i liked it so much i wish i could have it on most games! Its kind of interesting using your comments wisely, because you learn to speak only for important things.

Could this be a toggleble option? Restricting your own Chat for yourself? Only downside is there is no /all Chat. But yah, if you made this a toggleble option, i would restrict myself in 70% of my games even though im no longer Negative.

Euthrosyne

07-27-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
We're definitely interested in data on how players are making new friends, and how they are playing games with their friends.

We really want to create more opportunities for players to meet new friends in the future--to us, the best experiences in League of Legends are games when you hop on with a few friends.
@Lyte

Here's a little anecdote regarding the formation of new friends. I'm among the few people across the entire NA server to host custom HA ADAMs (All Draft, All Middle) with additional lobby bans, and from when I started hosting to now, my list has grown by at least 15-20 people.

Why: A few reasons. Some don't like how queued ARAMs lack any semblance of balance, and even victories in that mode are hollow. Riot's own policy on ARAMs is that it's unbalanced, and they won't really try and fix that balance in a meaningful way, because that's part of the interest, but some of us dislike that approach.

Others like the variety introduced by removing the worst offenders from ARAM, while I personally host because my friends are people who know how to play the game and are guaranteed to provide fair competition/teammates. Maybe there are other reasons, but it all sums down to the fact that some of us didn't like ARAM, and found other people who enjoyed playing what we offered.

Note: I stopped playing SR/TT/Dom a long time ago and I don't play those modes with the friends I made by hosting ADAMs. In a sense, they are friends reserved for a very particular niche, a niche that sees demand.

My one suggestion: Allow chat rooms to have a title/purpose and be searchable. If a person creates a chat room, that chat room should be linked to that person's avatar such that one can press a button (akin to opening someone's profile next to their name) and enter a chat room that that someone is hosting.

NA Darklarik

07-27-2013

One other Thing Lyte, which is a concern that you havent adressed.

if a player is trolling with the Retreat ping, there is no way to mute him without silencing the whole game. Can you put a way of silencing a player's Ping noise?

I want to be able to listen to the pings of players taking the game seriously, but if there is a player having a bad time so he decides to spam the **** out of the retreat ping and annoy the **** out of everyone, i just need to be able to mute that without silencing the whole freaking game

ZerglingOne

07-28-2013

I know from when I started playing until now, I definitely have noticed a significant reduction in the amount of games I end up going "Wow, that guy was really a grade A ***hole. If they gave out degrees for it, he'd have graduated Valedictorian." Maybe not so much hyperbole, but the point still stands.

Personally, I rarely ever type at all in a game. Tempting fate with anything other than good sportsmanship just isn't worth it.