Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

@Lyte - Player Behavior, Matchmaking, and Life as a Scientist

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mirror

07-27-2013

Quote:
Lyte:
Recently, we also sent out statues and posters signed by the player behavior team to positive members of our community. Maybe some players who got them and describe their experiences here

Hey Lyte, this is a pretty selfish question, but around the time of the mailing of said gifts, I changed my summoner name, and I think that may have fudged up the process. I sent a second e-mail, and even a support ticket (which has been waiting in the wings for a couple weeks), but it really meant a lot to me to be recognized in such a way for participating on the forums, and I'd love to be able to claim the gift. Is there any chance you would know the right Rioter to ping about this?

#beggingface

Lyte

Lead Social Systems Designer

Follow RiotLyte on Twitter

07-27-2013

Quote:
Mayobe:
I think the best solution there would be 'get rid of them'. Any time I've seen a 4-man it's been very toxic, if simply because of the communication difference and the us-vs-them. I'm sure you get that. Duos can be really irritating at low levels because they always want to shack up, which is disruptive, and if one of them goes off on someone, the other one will usually jump in. Oddly, I usually don't have trouble with trios.

ANYWAY

About the behavior alerts, I've had situations where I'd have a bad game (some my fault, some just bad luck) and afterwards I get cussed out in post-game, then when I leave I get a warning. This kind of **** tends to be occasional, most of my games are neutral or positive, but it kind of pisses me off when someone is reporting me because they're an idiot and then I get an official warning on top of it. It's kind of like, "Oh, by the way, that guy just reported you." Even if I know someone reported me, it doesn't really bother me, because I know I'm not going to get punished when I'm not behaving poorly, but getting the message is really aggravating.

This hasn't happened recently, though. Have you already changed the algorithm some?

We've been consistently tweaking the numbers of Restricted Chat Mode and Behavioral Alerts. Even though we do a lot of preparation and research to determine initial values for the systems, it's never easy to simulate a live environment.

We're very open to feedback on Behavioral Alerts in particular right now and whether they can be more frustrating than helpful.

sleepisdeath

07-27-2013

Hi,

is there any incentive to let players know what worth their reports have? I mean like if i report for example too much for too low stuff that isnt even worth getting into tribunal. So the ppl that report for the slightest things get an idea to tone down their report rates or adjust their report reasons.

Sophitia

07-27-2013

I honestly think you need to include chat logs for champion select. I think that's where a ton of the toxic elements of gameplay, at least in my experience, come from. I can't tell you the number of times I've been told "Lol, wow you're such a ****ing ******, AP Janna gg", "GG, we have a girl on our team, probably got carried here by her boyfriend." This kind of stuff is not ok, and the fact I'm not able to report it honestly pisses me off. To me, it makes me feel like you guys are shielding the users who act like this in champ select because you want your system to look more positive than it actually is. Champion select is part of the game, and if you aren't looking at what's happening in champion select via reports, I think you are going to have incorrect data for what player experience is actually like.

Lyte

07-27-2013

Quote:
headhunter228:
I'm not one to tell the professional how to do his job, but I feel that pre/post game chat logs should be a higher priority. That is crucial information that Tribunal judges simply do not have, and you don't seem to think it is important.

Why?

Isn't it important for Tribunal judges to have all of the necessary information (which includes pre/post game chat logs) before casting their vote?

It all comes down to pragmatism, and what we believe will have larger impact on player behavior in League of Legends.

Adding pre/post game chat logs to Tribunal is X positive value, but the Tribunal only targets and affects the worst, most toxic players on a particular server (which is approximately 2-7% of players, depending on how you define the toxic players). However, if we analyze Champion Select, a large, large number of games have arguments or toxicity that originates from Champion Select. If we solve this particular problem, we'll see value that is easily 10X or 20X the effects of adding pre/post game chat logs to the Tribunal.

BelligerentGnu

07-27-2013

Hi Lyte,

Small suggestion for improving the champion select, specifically for reducing confusion and anger over the banning process.

The basic idea is: On their account profile, each player may choose a few "top ban" champions. Say 5.

When the matchmaker puts together a team, it counts the number of "top ban" picks for each champion, and checks to see which champions a high percentage of the team wishes to ban.

This done, it then presents the team captain with little gold borders around the champion icons of the most ban-desired champs. The brighter the border, the higher the consensus on banning a given champion.

So, for example: suppose in a game, all 5 team members want to ban blitz. 4 want to ban amumu, and 2 want to ban Ryze.

The screen might look like this when the captain first looks at bans.

Edit: can someone tell me how to make this picture appear in the post without people having to click it?

ChampionSelect.jpg

Lyte

07-27-2013

Quote:
GutEveryone:
A bit cynical, and possibly requiring too-subjective of an answer but here goes:

If a tribunal user hits 'punish' every time a case comes up, without regards to anything listed in the case report, but has a 90%+ accuracy, should that person stop?

In the 10% of cases that he got wrong, how many were 'obvious' Pardons? If there were a few, this player should probably stop spamming Punish because they are getting caught by the obvious Pardon cases and may lose their privileges to vote.

Nanatsu

07-27-2013

Maybe Riot needs to hire a counseling team to handle reform cards. Put in some nice advice on how to improve behavior. Anyways I enjoyed that GDC talk and in the part about Priming I cannot believe that Good Luck, Have Fun wasn't included. I think that things like that is eSport's equivalent to boxing's glove bumps.

NJ the II

07-27-2013

Lyte do you look like this IRL?

Mordin Solus 2.jpg

Lyte

07-27-2013

Quote:
NiceanLoH:
That was a really cool talk to watch, it made me happy to see what you guys are doing.

I've had my share of ragers, but I've also had the joy of meeting a few other players in a game (sometimes even a premade 4 will include me so we'll be a premade 5) and then spending a few hours with my new friends.

It seems like complicated data to gather, but do you look at that kind of thing? Most of the time if you're making friends, you're not getting all that mad, it seems. It's also (I think) the most fun thing in your game, so any way to reward those people would be awesome. I'm a busy and social dude, so if I can rationalize spending a while playing video games by saying that I'm actually meeting people and making friends, it's nice and relaxing.

Thanks for all you do.

We're definitely interested in data on how players are making new friends, and how they are playing games with their friends.

We really want to create more opportunities for players to meet new friends in the future--to us, the best experiences in League of Legends are games when you hop on with a few friends.