so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-01-2013
21 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seimitsu View Post
I've got two different questions:

1) After you submit an application, what is the usual waiting period before hearing back?

2) If I applied for a Software Developer position, but I could also be qualified for a number of other CS positions, would I need to submit applications to each listing or will my application be considered
for all available positions?
Hey Seimitsu,

1. Unfortunately, due to the large volume of applications we receive on a daily basis, it is not possible for us to [at this time] process everything in a timely manner. We're definitely working on it though!

2. We try our best to cross reference applications with all open positions. It's really to your discretion if you'd like to apply for multiple positions. If you see 5 other positions you would like to be considered for, you may want to just make a note of that in your cover letter and apply for the position that's the 'best fit' for you.

Seimitsu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey Seimitsu,

1. Unfortunately, due to the large volume of applications we receive on a daily basis, it is not possible for us to [at this time] process everything in a timely manner. We're definitely working on it though!

2. We try our best to cross reference applications with all open positions. It's really to your discretion if you'd like to apply for multiple positions. If you see 5 other positions you would like to be considered for, you may want to just make a note of that in your cover letter and apply for the position that's the 'best fit' for you.
Oops, I did the first part, but I neglected to do the second. I suppose we'll see how the next few weeks go and I'll move forward from there. Thanks for the response!

siiphon

08-01-2013

Sorry this is going to be kindof a lot of questions >.< Feel free to answer just the ones that interest you

1) How exactly do you choose which candidates are the most eligible (specifically concerning positions for "abstract" positions like champion design)? Do you have candidates send in "portfolios" of champion concepts?

2) How concerned are you with how strictly an applicant's college degree pertains to the position? For instance, the careers site says that you should major in English to be a champion designer. That baffled me a bit D: There's certainly no "league-of-legends-champion-design" major, so if I have, say, a computer science degree instead of English does that harm my chances?

3) A lot of the positions on the career site request previous experience working on video games. How frequently do you accept recently-graduated applicants?

Chris Cross

08-01-2013

Quote:
For us mere mortals, the internship program is open to anyone currently attending a post-secondary institution. I believe as you're legally allowed to work under federal/state laws you're good to go!
Thank you for the information

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-01-2013
22 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by siiphon View Post
Sorry this is going to be kindof a lot of questions >.< Feel free to answer just the ones that interest you

1) How exactly do you choose which candidates are the most eligible (specifically concerning positions for "abstract" positions like champion design)? Do you have candidates send in "portfolios" of champion concepts?

2) How concerned are you with how strictly an applicant's college degree pertains to the position? For instance, the careers site says that you should major in English to be a champion designer. That baffled me a bit D: There's certainly no "league-of-legends-champion-design" major, so if I have, say, a computer science degree instead of English does that harm my chances?

3) A lot of the positions on the career site request previous experience working on video games. How frequently do you accept recently-graduated applicants?
Hey Siiphon,

1. Even for abstract positions, there are certain hard and soft skills which the ideal candidate would possess. Depending on the application process for a particular position, what our hiring managers look at to evaluate a candidate's fit will vary. A portfolio for a Concept Artist, for example, may carry much more weight than their education background.

2. I'm not too familiar with the 'English degree -> champion design' example, but I know game designers throughout the gaming industry who come from a variety of backgrounds [psychology, law, med, etc]. Again, it depends on the particular position [example: having a CS degree might mean that you're not the best Graphics Designer candidate because you have no work/education background in graphics design and not because of your CS degree].

3. To be very honest with you, the recent graduates we tend to hire are exceptional. They may have just graduated from college/university, but they've done projects in their free time which show their passion and love of their craft [I've seen some people write a game from scratch as a side project]. Additionally, we have recent graduates who go beyond just studying and were able to find ways to incorporate their studies into tangible experience [co-op/intern programs, working part-time/contractor for companies, etc].

Hope I was able to answer your questions

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-01-2013
23 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seimitsu View Post
Oops, I did the first part, but I neglected to do the second. I suppose we'll see how the next few weeks go and I'll move forward from there. Thanks for the response!
You're welcome!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-01-2013
24 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster Carnage View Post
Thank you for the information
'twas my pleasure

Farstride

08-01-2013

Quote:
Hey Siiphon,

1. Even for abstract positions, there are certain hard and soft skills which the ideal candidate would possess. Depending on the application process for a particular position, what our hiring managers look at to evaluate a candidate's fit will vary. A portfolio for a Concept Artist, for example, may carry much more weight than their education background.

2. I'm not too familiar with the 'English degree -> champion design' example, but I know game designers throughout the gaming industry who come from a variety of backgrounds [psychology, law, med, etc]. Again, it depends on the particular position [example: having a CS degree might mean that you're not the best Graphics Designer candidate because you have no work/education background in graphics design and not because of your CS degree].

3. To be very honest with you, the recent graduates we tend to hire are exceptional. They may have just graduated from college/university, but they've done projects in their free time which show their passion and love of their craft [I've seen some people write a game from scratch as a side project]. Additionally, we have recent graduates who go beyond just studying and were able to find ways to incorporate their studies into tangible experience [co-op/intern programs, working part-time/contractor for companies, etc].

I remember on the linked-in for summer, all the potential interns were showing off their resume's to one another. Once the deadline passed, we all wanted to know our competition.

I was like "Dauuuum. People like that exist AND play league?"

siiphon

08-01-2013

Quote:
Hey Siiphon,

Thanks so much for the information!
Just one more question:
What exactly does the internship application process entail? Are there interviews? Do you apply for an internship in specific departments? For example: would I be applying to intern in the champion design department, or at Riot in general?

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-01-2013
25 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by siiphon View Post
Thanks so much for the information!
Just one more question:
What exactly does the internship application process entail? Are there interviews? Do you apply for an internship in specific departments? For example: would I be applying to intern in the champion design department, or at Riot in general?
We have an internship program that spins up at the beginning of the year for students interested in interning at Riot during the summer. For example, our current summer interns applied at the beginning of the year.

You would be applying for specific positions [video production intern, big data software engineer intern, etc]. There is an internship specific interview process.

Here's more detailed information regarding our internship program.