so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swippinfrafes

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey Swippinfrafes, if you have general questions which might benefit others, feel free to drop a note on this thread. This would probably be the best way of going about doing this
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm looking to apply for a position relating to Champion Design and have a few questions.

1. I frequent the careers page on the Riot Games website (and follow the LinkedIn page), but I almost never see anything that relates to champion design. Are the listings indicative of the only openings available, or is it more geared to show the kind of talent that Riot is most actively searching for? Do different teams have different windows that they recruit in?

2. As I prepare for my application, I've been unsure how to proceed. I am current preparing a portfolio containing an assortment of champion concept proposals, item proposals, assessments of game health and my take on positive directions for League to head in from a gameplay perspective. Do you have any suggestions for how to more thoroughly prepare a solid application?

3. The area I live in doesn't have any sort of Game Design courses for Universities(I'm Canadian), and I'm actually currently taking a year off of my studies (I changed my mind halfway through second year) to build the aforementioned portfolio as well as raise an absurd amount of money through working. Basically, I'm trying to work off of individual merit as opposed to a formal education in design.

4. I'm actually making a trip to Santa Monica in California to submit said portfolio and also scope out the area, meet friends I have at Riot etc. What are the chances that I could drop the portfolio in-person as opposed to submitting it online?

Thanks in advance for taking your time to talk to all of us!

Kidaris

08-01-2013

Thanks a lot Chezai I still have a ways to go but I will work my hardest to get a position at Riot. ANY position. You guys are one of my favorite company's and to work for you guys would be amazing.

King Rajah

08-01-2013

What would be your suggestion for someone coming out of high school looking to get a job in the gaming industry?

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-01-2013
9 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swippinfrafes View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm looking to apply for a position relating to Champion Design and have a few questions.

1. I frequent the careers page on the Riot Games website (and follow the LinkedIn page), but I almost never see anything that relates to champion design. Are the listings indicative of the only openings available, or is it more geared to show the kind of talent that Riot is most actively searching for? Do different teams have different windows that they recruit in?

2. As I prepare for my application, I've been unsure how to proceed. I am current preparing a portfolio containing an assortment of champion concept proposals, item proposals, assessments of game health and my take on positive directions for League to head in from a gameplay perspective. Do you have any suggestions for how to more thoroughly prepare a solid application?

3. The area I live in doesn't have any sort of Game Design courses for Universities(I'm Canadian), and I'm actually currently taking a year off of my studies (I changed my mind halfway through second year) to build the aforementioned portfolio as well as raise an absurd amount of money through working. Basically, I'm trying to work off of individual merit as opposed to a formal education in design.

4. I'm actually making a trip to Santa Monica in California to submit said portfolio and also scope out the area, meet friends I have at Riot etc. What are the chances that I could drop the portfolio in-person as opposed to submitting it online?

Thanks in advance for taking your time to talk to all of us!
Hey Swippinfrafes,

1. Teams hire depending on what they need at the moment and what they think they may need in the near future. If you have a specific question regarding champion design, you may want to ask in the LinkedIn group as there are Rioters on those specific teams who may have more specific answers. With regards to what we currently have on our Careers page, you would probably look under 'Game Design'.

2. Nothing specific to the position you're interested in. Make sure what you've prepared is focused on what you want to do and what the role calls for.

3. Being a Game Designer does not necessarily mean that you require that formal training/background. I believe it has more to do with the ability to analyze, problem solve, and organize/use data. This does not mean that I am encouraging/discouraging the completion of a formal program [of any kind]. I think education is awesome and the more of it the better [but you don't necessarily get all your education from post-secondary, etc].

4. All applications must be submitted through our webpage. This ensures that applications are processed and nothing slips through the crack.

Again, your best resource is "Inside Riot Games" on LinkedIn. Hope this helps!

And it's been my pleasure speaking with everyone here

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-01-2013
10 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidaris View Post
Thanks a lot Chezai I still have a ways to go but I will work my hardest to get a position at Riot. ANY position. You guys are one of my favorite company's and to work for you guys would be amazing.
Do what you love! Everything else follows GL HF

The Blade of TSM

08-01-2013

Is there positions at Riot for someone who majors in English? Curious.

EDIT: Anything in general, nothing specific. Or any English + x jobs.

Oconnomo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2013

I'll be graduating from Medical School in June...any jobs for an MD who loves games

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-01-2013
11 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionAaron View Post
What would be your suggestion for someone coming out of high school looking to get a job in the gaming industry?
Hey ChampionAaron,

My personal suggestion is to get some more education under your belt while getting some work experience [industry if possible].

I don't mean to preach about the merits of education, but there are skills you learn in post-secondary education which are very transferable to many industries [example: problem solving, communication, the ability to grind through 50-page papers in a few hours, etc].

Industry experience is not always easy to come by. Working in related fields isn't a bad idea at all.

At the end of the day, try and find something you are very passionate about and figure out a way to integrate that into your career goals.

MKDkilla

08-01-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
You're right, we do have a LOT of CS-related positions! If the positions are still posted on the webpage, we are still looking.

My suggestion to you is to focus on what YOU are most passionate about. Learn as much as you can and focus on the things you care about most as this will serve you best in the long run. Look at what technologies are currently in play and what might be on the rise. If you're looking to get into Riot specifically, cross-reference your interests to the technologies which are listed in the job descriptions on the Careers page.

Hope this helps!
You have a typo on your website

http://www.riotgames.com/careers/animator

8th paragraph, Player focused gamer first word

Riot Chezai

Recruiting Coordinator

08-01-2013
12 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeldire View Post
Is there positions at Riot for someone who majors in English? Curious.
Hello Zeldire,

If you take a look at our Careers page, you'll find that we have a number of positions in our Marketing department which may be relevant [Writer might be one].

However, keep in mind that it's more about your skills/competencies and what positions would be a good fit.