so I "applied" to Riot a while ago...

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Mauu5head

01-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Chezai View Post
Hey Ouss121,

Great question! However, I don't think I'd be able to do this question justice with my limited knowledge of game design and more specifically champion design. I suggest you read up on game design through blogs [such as Xelnath's --> http://alexanderbrazie.blogspot.ca/] and by perusing forums. I know that Xypherous, Morello, Xelnath, and other designers are constantly on the forums discussing design issues. It definitely doesn't hurt to ask them "how did you get your start" or do some research into what their career path looked like leading up to Riot. Best of luck!

Much love. I have much respect for people like you.

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-05-2014
127 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitsonkittens View Post
I want to be a Recruiting Coordinator for Riot. What do you recommend I do to prepare?
Hey Spitsonkittens [I sincerely hope 'spitson' is a breed of kittens...],

If you're truly passionate about Recruiting as a career path, I encourage you to do research into the field and figure out what it is you actually want to do in Recruiting [sourcing, recruiting, research, events, etc.].

On to the meat and potatoes! If you want to be a Recruiting Coordinator at Riot:

- Read the job description on our careers page and see if it's a good fit for you [is this what you truly want to do; something you're passionate about]

- After having established that you are indeed interested in the position, take the list of skills and qualifications needed for the role and put it side by side with your resume/skills checklist and compare the two

- If the two documents match-up pretty closely, then hit the 'apply' button on the job posting.

Now, for the pro-tips:

- Communication is key! Recruiting Coordinators have to communicate with people on a regular and frequent basis [other Rioters, vendors/agencies, candidates, interested parties, or the community (you guys!!!)]. This being the case, having strong communication and people skills is important.

- Be organized! RCs are in the middle of things. They not only support Recruiters and Sourcers, but are also resourced out to multiple business units and hiring managers. This being the case, the amount of communication and overlapping tasks gets overwhelming. It's a bit like being the Jungler. Your mid lane is over-extended and might need help, but at the same time your top lane can do with a gank. This is in addition to your ADC D/Cing and your Support getting poked down at the tower. Throw in your aggressive playstyle of constantly trying to counter-jungle and you've got some serious decisions to make.

Notice that I don't single-out any one academic/professional background [this was intentional!!!]. RCs come from all walks of life and we embrace our differences. A watch doesn't work as well if every hand is a minute hand

Although there are a number of hard skills which will come in handy [knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, proficiency with computers, experience with applicant tracking systems], these can be learned quite quickly. Soft skills, such as critical thinking and communication skills, are much harder to teach/learn and are, in my opinion, much more valuable [as an RC].

Hope this helps!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-05-2014
128 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trai Harder View Post
Riot comes to my college (missouri s&t) for our career fair - maybe i can work for them one day
Hey Trai Harder,

We have an awesome team out in St. Louis. I believe our STL Rioters are regulars at career fairs across the state. Definitely say hi and bug them a bit

Best of luck!

CheZai

Recruiting Coordinator

01-05-2014
129 of 151 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauu5head View Post
Much love. I have much respect for people like you.
Hey Mauu5head,

Thanks! But in actuality, that was a really good question from Ouss121. Game devs are fairly social creatures, but approach with caution as they may regale you with tales from their youth [which may or may not have endings/are nonsensical]. The longer you stay the deeper into the rabbit hole you'll gooooooooooo.......

Zastie

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2014

Since you really seem to know the ins&outs of jobs for Riot, are there any plans to have more actual jobs concerning these forums? We have these volunteer moderators currently but uh.. they don't really do much honestly. Hoping maybe someday Riot could maybe get a few people on stuff like making a report feature for the forums and stuff?

Necromancer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

01-05-2014

I like this thread. I like it very much.

brunoais

01-06-2014

I'm after a position as a dev for Riot.
I'm not from the US (I'm not even from the Americas).

I want to work on things like... The team builder (front end or backend), champion mechanics (stuff like the kind of changes to make Yasuo's W actually work)... Eh... Working on LoL's website is also a position I'd like to be in...

Any tips about how should apply and to what I should apply? Before I knew this topic existed, I applied for a java developer position. Even though it is something I like a lot, it does not really say what kind of challenges I'm facing (I only have some vague clues).
Also, I'm an aspie (asperger's syndrome).

AFAIK developer is always about logical problem solving, evolving finding the best way to solve problem that shows up ahead... And that's what I really want to do as a living. Having only that into account, am I doing the right way?

Feedlesticks Bot

01-06-2014

I actually applied a month ago or so for the QA department. I have 2 years experience in the Game QA field and hoped for an interview at least. At this point should I give up that hope? I thought my resume looked spot on myself. If I could just score an interview, that would be a massive win in my book.

Edit: Actually see a few more QA posts and have applied to them as well.

Zephilwroxt

01-06-2014

Hello Chezai!

I'm less than a year that I have graduated from college (Computer Science). In my country (Mexico) there is no Game Designer Career.

I will apply for Technical Game Designer job in this year, knowing that a Thechnical Game Designer is a combination of both Gamplay Engineer and Game Designer (based on the job site description).

I know what math and programming I need to practice, but I know little about Game Design.

What can I study or do to get a better understanding in Game Design? I'm doing side projects (Game Developement).

Thank you for reading and Greetings!

PD: Sorry for my mispelled english (if there are mistakes).

Wrosgar

01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephilwroxt View Post
Hello Chezai!

I'm less than a year that I have graduated from college (Computer Science). In my country (Mexico) there is no Game Designer Career.

I will apply for Technical Game Designer job in this year, knowing that a Thechnical Game Designer is a combination of both Gamplay Engineer and Game Designer (based on the job site description).

I know what math and programming I need to practice, but I know little about Game Design.

What can I study or do to get a better understanding in Game Design? I'm doing side projects (Game Developement).

Thank you for reading and Greetings!

PD: Sorry for my mispelled english (if there are mistakes).
It's only a small suggestion, but look up Extra Credits and watch some of their videos. They are very informative, and I know Morello has helped them with a few episodes :P