Support Deaths

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Koi Nami Only

07-26-2013

Lately, I've really been trying to improve and manage my death/assist ratio as support. I found I played way too aggressively with Leona so I swapped to Janna and noticed my deaths dropping. Sometimes, my assists are over half of the team's total kills. However, it concerns me when I have 5 deaths or more and having 7-8+ is simply unacceptable for myself.

My question is, how many deaths should I aim to stay at or under during the course of a normal game? And besides positioning and disengaging, is there anything else I could work on to improve my rate?

Right now according to lolking.net:

Win rate 61% (19 W 12 L out of 31 games supporting).

Any constructive criticism on my Janna masteries page and/or LeonaSup Rune page is welcomed as well.

cauliflower

07-26-2013

Aim for zero. Your higher number of deaths with Leona is simply because of the positioning you need to play her effectively. With enough practice you can learn when to retreat and save your own life after making a good contribution to a fight. I know it isn't the answer you're looking for, but practice is going to be your biggest help.

Koi Nami Only

07-26-2013

To be honest, I wasn't sure which answer to look for so the advice is welcomed. I think sometimes I go in too hard with Leona and end up blowing up save the few times there's that one guy that makes it his mission to kill a support lol xD

Steelo Rivers

07-27-2013

I agree with cauliflower. Some champs (like leona) will naturally have a lot of deaths simply because of house close you have to get to be effective. After a while, you will learn that after you do your combo's that you need to back up until your cds refresh. Also, don't waste your cds on champs that aren't worth it. If you see someone like Olaf dive into a fight, don't jump on him. Position yourself to get on the main damage source. If you die for an ace while keeping your carries alive, it's always worth it.

GC Nyaboron

07-27-2013

Don't aim for a certain number of deaths, every game is different. Always make sure your deaths are worth it. If you die to a support but your adc picks up a kill in return, it's worth it. You could go 0/0/10 and be less useful than someone who went 0/5/10 as those deaths could have been baron/dragon steals, sacrifices for teammates with a bounty/buff on their heads, ect. Play Leona with an adc you know and use skype or something to maintain communication. Leona is one of those champs that you simply need to have good communication with your adc in order to play right. If you dive in, and they don't follow up, you're dead. If you're blitz and you grab someone and they kill your adc because of it, that's on you and your communication. Janna is a good pick for solo queue.

My leona page has G/10 quints, armor yellows, MR blues, and magic pen reds.
My leona masteries are this: http://puu.sh/3MV0T.jpg

Mister Simple

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-27-2013

For me, I benchmark how I'm doing by trying to keep my deaths to a minimum but at least a 1 death to 3 assist ratio... This is considered "good" for me. With Leona/Blitz, my deaths are MUCH higher but my assists usually end up only 1death:2 assists but the win rate is different because they also offer a different opportunity to win the game but at a higher risk. But remember, you can go 0-10-0 all game but a well-placed Leona R can win it in the end. ^^

MaxControl

07-27-2013

I didn't have an issue with death to assist but i changed my build to be able to two v three and two v four when bot gets dove and or ganked. I rush a sunfire cape then get merc treads, then get locket of the iron solari, and i find that this tank build allows you to make more plays and dive in much better. Also it should be noted that if your top and jungle dont pick champs with very good initiate even with this build you cannot go balls deep on a team with out back up initiate/cc. see if your jungler/top will go someone like kennen or zac. Diving team comps ftw!

Also my runes that i use for leona are Gold/5 quints. armor reds. armor yellows. mr blues. This is what Grepa uses and it is pretty great on her. I have found that you should not build all of the support items just to have them, but build tanky and get support items situationally so you can be of greater utility.

IBroken

07-27-2013

Remember that some supports get assists easier than others. Other than that, I can't help you.

Koi Nami Only

07-27-2013

A lot of good advice here. I may go for sunfire asap depending on how soon I feel I need my sightstone and such.

Bringing up solo-que friendly support and natural deaths to be expected, which support should I look to pick up next? Right now, I only own Soraka, Leona, and Janna but looking at Nami or Zyra next.