And another patch goes by with no magma chamber/stats/replays/obersvers etc.

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dominentwolf

12-16-2010

One has to wonder what they are actually trying to develop eh?

Drakeil

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2010

I agree with most of what you said. HOWEVER, I do like that (for the most part) Riot tries to keep us in the loop. It's actually been a good month or two since a "real" update on features and work. I liked (hated) when the servers were off-and-on for like a week, but Riot would be like "We think it might be a wire" "K we investigated, now we're looking at the coding" "K it's not the coding, we're rebooting the servers" - etc.

I LIKE that kind of relationship with the community.
But I agree, professionallism, and lately, more updates.

Edit: I like the relationship RIOT has with the community (but I hate that 50% of the community are.... not nice, for loss of a better word)

Wallace Knoop

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-16-2010

I wouldn't be surprised at all if these promised features are already almost done, if not done already. I guarantee they're holding out on releasing them until just before, or just after DOTA 2 is released, as damage control to keep people from switching over to the real DOTA successor.

SmallSlimBG

12-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallace Knoop View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if these promised features are already almost done, if not done already. I guarantee they're holding out on releasing them until just before, or just after DOTA 2 is released, as damage control to keep people from switching over to the real DOTA successor.

Want to tell me how Valve would be the one to make the "REAL" DOTA successor when they had absolutely nothing to do with making DOTA at all? It was blizzards engine, and infact blizz trade marked the name "Defense of the Ancients" they just didnt trade mark the acronym "DOTA" so valve grabbed it. Really ******bag move in my opinion.

It will be far from the "real" dota successor, stop saying stupid ****.

ClownInMilkTruck

12-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiokun View Post
Just from seeing some Red posts in this forum, I can tell training at Riot does not place emphasis on "customer service". I helped develop an internal overhaul at the last company I worked for, and when I worked with our new business consultant, we agreed that customer service is absolutely 100% the whole business, and is the whole business of every business.

Without your customers, what are you? You wouldn't have a business. And the attitudes of some people who work with the public are ridiculous, such as trying to classify customers into good and bad, right or wrong. I could talk about customer service all day, but just using this thread as an example, look at these arguments concerning which customers (players) are right or wrong. Does it matter? A dissatisfied customer is dissatisfied customer, and you should pay attention to complaints no matter how stupid or silly, because it gives you clues as to what you need to improve within your company.

By the way, lack of professionalism and poor customer service (one of the same thing) are at the top of the list for biggest customer complaints. I've seen plenty of that here. Community management is a top priority responsibility for every employee.

Nice one, Morello.

Stop churning out imbalanced heroes and more beautification every other week that nobody cares about and think about more fundamental issues. The profit and stability rewarded will be much greater in the long run.
Sorry, this, this, a 1000 times this. I've never felt such total disregard from a company as a consumer, except from tech support people in India.

j2QJjm9Q07WRRBRT

12-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzao View Post
Want to tell me how Valve would be the one to make the "REAL" DOTA successor when they had absolutely nothing to do with making DOTA at all? It was blizzards engine, and infact blizz trade marked the name "Defense of the Ancients" they just didnt trade mark the acronym "DOTA" so valve grabbed it. Really ******bag move in my opinion.

It will be far from the "real" dota successor, stop saying stupid ****.
I guess you don't know who Icefrog is, I'll let you in on a secret: he's the one that made DotA what it is today, he did all of the balancing to accumulate a 20 million player base.

And guess what? He works for Valve working on Dota 2 with 100% creative control. That means every other moba game is screwed.

BlackDestruction

12-16-2010

Quote:
After browsing through most of this thread (literally I've read most of the 100+ pages), I suddenly didn't want to play LoL when I was just about to queue up in my client. I saw the comparisons to HoN, and I wasn't really interested in the game before, but after seeing this thread and looking up some HoN videos, suddenly I'd rather go play HoN than LoL and give a shot. (HoN has a map editor? A map editor?!?!... I'm sold.)

Not trying to turn this into a typical HoN vs. LoL discussion, I'm just pointing out the consequences of the behavior from some of the staff.

Terrible PR from Riot. They have paid staff whose job is to manage the community, and we haven't even heard a reply from them in a very important thread that many people are reading. Then we have some other Riot staff literally publicly trolling and cracking jokes and mocking customers that use their product. Good job. Real innovators of this genre.

Perhaps there is some real "passion" and "creativity" present at Riot, but I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't internal bureaucracy issues and poor resource allocation. I used to work at a place just like that. The workers were quite motivated and cared about their company, and had great ideas they wanted to push forward and things to change etc. But there was no leadership or good management from the top, and eventually everyone stopped caring, and people left (like me).

Just don't understand why it's so difficult to incorporate such basic features into the game that the community has been asking for forever. Don't understand why supposed innovators of this genre can act childishly in a public forum that 1000s of people read. Don't understand why the game client is a hacked together POS that feels like a modified chat engine to me with constant crash and lag issues, and probably not well designed for expansion and modification.

Also lol, no search engine on a forum... no search engine... on an internet forum. I was shocked when I signed up and discovered I couldn't search the forum. This feature would literally take a coffee break to implement. What are they doing in California?

this cannot be quoted enough

Mordeve

12-16-2010

Quote:
Perhaps there is some real "passion" and "creativity" present at Riot, but I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't internal bureaucracy issues and poor resource allocation. I used to work at a place just like that. The workers were quite motivated and cared about their company, and had great ideas they wanted to push forward and things to change etc. But there was no leadership or good management from the top, and eventually everyone stopped caring, and people left (like me).

Just don't understand why it's so difficult to incorporate such basic features into the game that the community has been asking for forever. Don't understand why supposed innovators of this genre can act childishly in a public forum that 1000s of people read. Don't understand why the game client is a hacked together POS that feels like a modified chat engine to me with constant crash and lag issues, and probably not well designed for expansion and modification.
People tend to forget how new and small of a company Riot is. They are not posting information about upcoming content because they probably don't have a clue when it will be ready. Its also interesting that you feel the client is a POS, as it won many awards for an outstanding technology platform. Remember, yes you can pay for this game, but most likely the majority of people do not. Its FREE TO PLAY. If the content of the forums for a free-to-play video-game get you down that much, then feel free to go pay 30$ for the HoN client.

Stop feeling so entitled. And this is coming from someone who owns almost all of the champions on two accounts, with a bunch of skins.

Clyner

12-16-2010

I'm actually enjoying the new champs, they're all mostly unique and all lend themselves to different strategies. I'm also pretty happy that they didn't just rip heroes out of dota *coughcoughhoncough* that said, I'd really like to see that magma chamber art soon.

The Uprising

12-16-2010

Quote:
After browsing through most of this thread (literally I've read most of the 100+ pages), I suddenly didn't want to play LoL when I was just about to queue up in my client. I saw the comparisons to HoN, and I wasn't really interested in the game before, but after seeing this thread and looking up some HoN videos, suddenly I'd rather go play HoN than LoL and give a shot. (HoN has a map editor? A map editor?!?!... I'm sold.)

Not trying to turn this into a typical HoN vs. LoL discussion, I'm just pointing out the consequences of the behavior from some of the staff.

Terrible PR from Riot. They have paid staff whose job is to manage the community, and we haven't even heard a reply from them in a very important thread that many people are reading. Then we have some other Riot staff literally publicly trolling and cracking jokes and mocking customers that use their product. Good job. Real innovators of this genre.

Also lol, no search engine on a forum... no search engine... on an internet forum. I was shocked when I signed up and discovered I couldn't search the forum. This feature would literally take a coffee break to implement. What are they doing in California?
yeah, um this

EDIT: BS to above poster, would not be surprised at all if Riot has a substantially higher profit margin than S2, like what 10x as many people play this game or something? And more people than you would expect spend RP. Some a lot to make up for the non payers. They are innovators in that they found the marketing strategy of PC games of the future.

Yeah they are such a new and tiny company that they can make a new hero, their abilities, their art, and a balance patch every 2 weeks like clockwork.