Offensive Taric - level 60 Ret or level 80 Ret?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Eekon

12-17-2009

After having played Taric for 20 or so games as a tank/support hybrid, I wanted to move on to a new hero and a new way to play. Looking through the list of physical carries, I couldn't find one I felt like playing. That got me thinking about how Taric's abilities really work. Is he a great support character? I think so. Does he lose his support capabilities by playing more offensively? I think not. He may die sooner and more often, but at the same time he will regenerate more mana without the need to spend gold on the stat (not to be underestimated) and also throw more healing around because of heavier focus on whacking stuff. I will post my way of building Taric currently, not as a guide, but as grounds for a discussion about where Taric fits in the game. Feedback on this build's viability in higher tier games is most welcomed, as I do fine in my bracket but question how well it would work against better and more coordinated teams. Please note I don't think I'm being original with this build; I've seen it been used by other Taric's, but the guides on this forum all describe a more defensive playstyle and build.

Firstly, let's look at what, in my opinion, makes a damage focused Taric work:

His passive, granting 7.5 % damage dealt returned as mana, didn't strike me as useful when I first played Taric. I started my games focusing on mana regen, usually buying something like a Manipulator and a Chalice very early. I was surprised to realize the more aggressive playstyle enabled by building Taric for damage actually made mana less of an issue even without a single mana regen item.

His ultimate. Again, I figured the % damage increase on Taric was a weird thing for an ultimate. The buff to allies, however, is obviously nice for any situation.

The Sheen/Trinity Force effect. This is where a lot of Taric's damage mid-game comes from for me, while also making full use of Taric's support capabilities. Wanna hit harder? Heal your buddy. Stun the enemy carry. Taric's nuking right after getting Trinity Force is quite strong. Stun whoever you're nuking, activate ultimate while closing in, autoattack, Shatter, autoattack. While this doesn't make Taric a 1v1 ganking monster, he can bring a lot more than just support to a skirmish or team fight this way.

What makes Taric good is, if you ask me, the synergy betwee these three points. Now, my typical build to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

I use offensive masteries and sort of offensive runes. In the laning phase, I max either the Q heal or the W, Shatter (what else is there?). I find the points in Imbue early on help me stay in the lane as the mana regen from autoattacking isn't strong enough early on to keep me going all the time without it. Keeping Shatter maxed often puts me in the position where I push the enemies back very easily in the lane but can't put enough pressure on towers to really threaten them early on. More healing, in a backwards way, also lets me and my lanemate be more aggressive.

For items, my typical build is:

Ruby Crystal to start off. Then onto boots: usually Mercury, rarely Berserker's if the other team is very low on disables. Next I build my Trinity Force. Phage or Sheen first, depending on mood. After that, damage, damage, damage. Usually Last Whisper followed by Infinity Edge or Black Cleaver and then chaining agility pots while building more damage.
For items, I'm considering getting Stark's instead of stacking damage early. It seems obviously useful for a supporting physical - see Sivir.

Now, you may be thinking "lol noob, if you want to do damage, pick a carry!". Don't misunderstand me; no matter how you play Taric he is never a pure dps like Yi can be. The question regarding this build is, though, can he build for damage without losing too much survivability and utility? My experience says yes, but I'm curious if that is the case in higher level games. Looking forward to anyone's feedback even if it's just "l2p noob this is a useless/cookie cutter build".

Oh, and did I mention Taric is awesomely fun to play this way?

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-17-2009

I really like this concept, however I see some flaws with it:
1 - Taric sucks at last hitting minions.
2 - If you don't spec shatter up first, it will be a long time until you have enough for a tri-force.
3 - Without mana regen, or a large manapool your ultimate loses its effectiveness for a duration
4 - This build seems rune centric, and mastery driven

Other than that I bet it would be fun to do. I would also agree that there are other characters that do this job better, faster for more reward. However, not as many can tank as hard, and heal as quickly as Taric can. If you get this to work to any degree as you move up the ranking system, let me know.

pogobear

12-17-2009

The problem is that his ultimate only affects base damage, not current. it doesn't multiply items, which means that it scales super poorly over time.

If it scaled with gear, I would *so* play offensive taric, hes awesome and I ran him that way for a while in beta.

The problem is that past mid game he just ends up sucking, you start paying for having dps items instead of HP, can't kill anybody, die easily, can't heal for extra without ap, etc etc.

mortor

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-31-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pogobear View Post
The problem is that his ultimate only affects base damage, not current. it doesn't multiply items, which means that it scales super poorly over time.

If it scaled with gear, I would *so* play offensive taric, hes awesome and I ran him that way for a while in beta.

The problem is that past mid game he just ends up sucking, you start paying for having dps items instead of HP, can't kill anybody, die easily, can't heal for extra without ap, etc etc.
Stack attack speed and it makes your ult extremely good. You hit like a truck since your base damage is already very high and you ult makes it 80% better along with around 2.0 attack speed. Also the attack speed allows your heal to have a super low CD.