Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Whats a "global" cooldown?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

noodle0117

11-30-2010

Ya noob question most likely, but I see the term almost everywhere and I still don't get what it means. How is it different from a normal cooldown? Is it unaffected by cooldown reduction? Is it something which influences all allies (thus making it "global&quot? Just read a post on giving swain a global cooldown, but I didn't exactly understand what it meant.

Mordwyrhta

11-30-2010

It's the cooldown all your abilities share. That 1 second you can't cast an ability after casting another.

Goochy Goo

11-30-2010

Global cooldown is after you cast a spell, you can't cast another for like... 1 second. Its very short, and really hard to notice, but it keeps you from literally rolling your face on the keyboard when playing someone like sona.

cantol

11-30-2010

global cooldown means everything goes on cooldown.

for example if Q caused a gcd, WE and R would have a 1 second cooldown

Sad Panda Shiba

11-30-2010

It means when you cast a spell, all your spells go on cooldown for a little, as to stop spamming instantly. Look at Udyr and Sona, when you cast one spell, the others go on cooldown for like a second or two.

Analu

11-30-2010

It's a mechanic on stance champions, where using one skill puts a cooldown on all of your skills. All of udyr's skills have a 6-second cd with a 2-second global cd.

Xparks

Recruiter

11-30-2010

Like Udyr

Spartaan

11-30-2010

It's like Udyr's stances.

noodle0117

11-30-2010

ah ok I see.
Thanks guys

oh and is global cd affected by cd reduction?

Solumas

11-30-2010

No, the Global cooldown is a set cooldown.