Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

9400M nVidia Graphics Card

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

B1G Stick Policy

11-30-2010

I was just wondering if anyone else out there is forced to play with Very Low graphics settings with the nVidia 9400M card? I have a Macbook pro from 2009 and can't believe the difference between the graphics on my laptop compared to my nVidia 8800GTS desktop PC.

Reinvented

11-30-2010

The difference is night and day when playing in Windows compared to OS X. I used to play on the Mac client, and that too would yield low frames and poor IQ. I could use the default settings in Windows (Very High/Low Shadows", and I'd get a consistent 30 fps. The same settings in OS X would get me less than 7 frames per second, on Very Low/No Shadow".

Mutantknight

12-01-2010

Because the graphics card isn't exactly great, and LoL was not designed for the mac OS in mind, you will find the performance to be pretty poor in comparison to a similar windows system. Now keep in mind you are comparing your macbook which most likely is a less graphically powerful and slower machine with your desktop which I expect to be more powerful, has more memory, has a faster hard drive, and won't have heating issues. And of course the fact that LoL was designed for windows first. Are you surprised??

Jonleez

12-01-2010

i use this 9400M card:

i play with medium character settings (i like characters crisper)
everything else very low

on the mac version, you get maximum 45 FPS, windows version you can play smoothly at 60 FPS constant at those settings

i hate this card T_T

fibonacci 618

12-06-2010

If you have a MacBook Pro you could try this:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=246090

fibo

NickJ

12-06-2010

I run around 50 FPS in the game with no problems (expect at the very start of the game for no real reason when it seems to lag). Not sure why this would be happening to you, I too have the 2009 macbook pro specs:
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT

B1G Stick Policy

12-14-2010

Quote:
fibonacci 618:
If you have a MacBook Pro you could try this:
http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board/showthread.php?t=246090

fibo

Unfortunately I only have the 9400M and not the 9600M. SIGH. Any way to upgrade now?

Jonleez

12-14-2010

there is a BIG difference between the 9400 M and the 9600 GT

any GT card means the graphics is discrete: a discrete graphics card will always outperform an integrated graphics card under any and all circumstances

there is no way to upgrade the 9400M graphics card

the 15-17 inch macbooks have two cards, 9400M and 9600GT

the 13 inch will ONLY have the 9400M

Akaiko

12-15-2010

Im stuck with the 9400M to =( It sux but its still kinda playable for me.

B1G Stick Policy

12-15-2010

Quote:
Jonleez:
there is a BIG difference between the 9400 M and the 9600 GT

any GT card means the graphics is discrete: a discrete graphics card will always outperform an integrated graphics card under any and all circumstances

there is no way to upgrade the 9400M graphics card

the 15-17 inch macbooks have two cards, 9400M and 9600GT

the 13 inch will ONLY have the 9400M

Sigh I actually have a 15-inch, but only one graphics card. Oh well, like I said above, I have a really powerful desktop at home that I plan to use over the holidays.