My sister plays league on a mac and gets low FPS

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jasheon

07-22-2013

I am not sure what settings she plays it on (resolution, etc), but I will find out. She gets around 45ish fps when nothing is really going on but when a large fight happens she dips in the low 20's and you can notice the lag.

This is her computer. Shouldn't this be able to max league without a problem? What settings should she be playing on? Thanks.

15-inch: 2.4GHz
with Retina display

2.4GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz
8GB 1600MHz memory
256GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (7 hours)2

DigitalNightmare

07-22-2013

I believe both Riot and the Mac community addressed this a couple weeks ago http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1451750
I hope this helps

Mirror

07-22-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNightmare View Post
I believe both Riot and the Mac community addressed this a couple weeks ago http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1451750
I hope this helps
The whole SMC reset "cure" is kind of a workaround for the fact that Apple had some crappy firmware on the first generation of rMBPs - if the OP (or his sister) purchased the computer in the last ~6 months, that won't really apply here.

Jasheon

07-23-2013

It did not help at all. What FPS should she be getting with her computer? Anyone with a similar computer play league can tell me what there settings are and what FPS you get?

Thanks.

Brentmeister

Associate Software Engineer

07-23-2013
1 of 1 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasheon View Post
It did not help at all. What FPS should she be getting with her computer? Anyone with a similar computer play league can tell me what there settings are and what FPS you get?

Thanks.
Her Spec is very similar to my own. She shouldn't be dropping below 60FPS.

Go to video options and make sure V-sync is turned off and framerate cap is set to benchmark.

If this doesn't resolve the issue also try turning shadows off.

SuperCostaBro

07-23-2013

I don't have a mac, but laptops have graphics switching (Macs also dont use nvidia optimus). You will need to go to your power settings, and disable automatic graphics switching. Keep in mind this will cause ALL applications to run on your discrete cpu, which will decrease battery life. Unfortunately, I don't think apple allows you to customize it by program.

Jasheon

07-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post

Go to video options and make sure V-sync is turned off and framerate cap is set to benchmark.

What resolution do you play at?

DGGP

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-24-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentmeister View Post

It's not our Specs, and it's not our connections.

It's either your client, your servers, or a combination of both.
NO other game lags, I didn't touch any settings other than reducing all graphics to the lowest settings in order to be able to play the game at even a semi-playable level.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help the matter.

Also, if it is Comcast, it's strange that this is the ONLY Game/Video/Internet application in general that lags because of the issue. Can't rule it out, but seems about as likely as getting an East Coast Server Setup *wink wink*

Mirror

07-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGGP View Post
It's not our Specs, and it's not our connections.

It's either your client, your servers, or a combination of both.
NO other game lags, I didn't touch any settings other than reducing all graphics to the lowest settings in order to be able to play the game at even a semi-playable level.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help the matter.
Are you experiencing visual lag, command lag, or both?

DGGP

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-25-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirror View Post
Are you experiencing visual lag, command lag, or both?
Both.

The funky thing is it doesn't do it every game either,
I'd venture to say roughly 40-50% of the time it's unplayable lag. (Everything including timer stops registering and champions/minions start ice skating, then 10-15 seconds later everything registers at once and it updates)
10-20% of the time I get kinda playable lagspikes. (Champion runs in place entire time with short teleports around, with attacks/skills registering a few full seconds after the button is pressed)
The rest of the time the client allows me to play peacefully with my 90ish ping (50 down 20 up ._.)

Oh, and now and then only in aram, I'll get the slow ping climb up to 400ish and back down every few minutes.

No idea what the cause could be, but like I said, no other game lags for me, as well as things like max quality streams run silky smooth.