AP Teemo Viable in high ELO games?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Valthar

12-16-2009

Was just looking for opinions from higher ELO, or even just experienced 5 man teams who may have come across an AP Teemo.

With melee being the way it is currently and the nerf to blinding shot, is there any reason to even try playing this way? Is it completely sub par to ATK/LS/AS that going this route is just a hindrance to your team?

If it is at all viable, what the heck item builds are folks utilizing, what damage dealt numbers should you be seeing?

One of the things that attracted me to Teemo was his AP play style, and I am finding that playing that way just isn't what it used to be.

Thoughts are appreciated.

wildfire393

12-16-2009

Here are my thoughts (not high ELO, just theorycrafting):

Nothing about teemo's abilities gives him a benefit for going ranged DPS. If you go ranged DPS, you effectively have Twitch exchanging everything that makes twitch a good ranged carry for slight map awareness.

AP Teemo gives you something more unique. Though higher ELOs are more based on AOE casting than Melee attackers, teams do tend to have at least one DPS Physical carry to, well, carry their team. Focusing around AP gives you:
A blinding dart that does a lot more, letting you take a huge chunk out of a carry in addition to disabling him
Mushrooms that do a lot more, making them a serious threat capable of picking up kills on fleeing stragglers, rather than just a scouting nuisance.

Since mushrooms are his only form of AOE and movement disable, I would think they would be given precedence.

Captain Scro

12-16-2009

Im gonna say no. Ap teemo is def not the way to go with higher level games. Like wildfire says, an ap build will let you take out a large chunk of a dps hero but you only get one shot then its time to wait for the cd while you pea-shoot, hoping to finish the carry off before the blind is over.

The difference is that with an ap build your damage output is going to spike early and then plateau. AP does more damage early game, but your late game will suffer for it. Going dps means you will do less early but will be able to pump out more late game. This is mostly because of the inherent flaws in ap items. They increase damage additively, while dps items increase it multiplicitively (sp?). Your +ap only add damage equal to the increase in ap. An attack speed item will allow you to hit faster meaning your atk damage gets applied more, you have more chance to crit and any debuffs or item effects get applied more. This goes for damage items and crit items as well. They all benefit one another while ap just doesnt.

Another important factor is the situational usage of an ap build. Yeah you can burst one hero once per team fight and do more damage in that 1/2 second than a dps build but if you take the entire battle into account the dps will do more for his team mid-late game. Mushrooms will do a decent amount more damage, IF they run over them and IF they dont have clense. A dps build will help you farm MUCH faster which means more money for more dps items. The same cant be said for AP

Back to clense.....Clense pretty much makes AP teemo useless, and with the next patch only increasing the cooldown 20 seconds im gonna say it might stay that way for a while. Since we're talking about high tier gameplay, you should expect all of your opponents to know this and use clense to its fullest vs you.

Edit: To elaborate, clense will remove the blind from your dart and the DoT associated with it. The same goes for your mushrooms, the slow is removed along with the DoT.

Valthar

12-16-2009

Honestly, it was cleanse and Mercury treads that really lead me to make this post. The nerf to blinding shots AP ratio wasnt fun either.

I had been using sheen/lichbane and deathfire grasp to help against being a 1 shot wonder but still felt it was just putting a bandaid on a bullet hole.

Carleton

12-16-2009

Now I don't play teemo to often but has anyone ever considered a hybrid ap/dps teemo. Something like a rageblade (or two since they aren't unique), a haunting guise, and then standard dps items? It would make his dart/ult pack a bit more of a punch while not pidgeon-holing yourself into one role. I dunno if this would be any good but it's worth a shot.

Captain Scro

12-16-2009

^The problem with that is the ap is gonna be big early game but worthless late game. And if you're getting ap early its going to be less helpful when farming/pushing than damage or attack speed would.

Feel free to try it tho

OmniOblivion

12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Scro View Post
^The problem with that is the ap is gonna be big early game but worthless late game. And if you're getting ap early its going to be less helpful when farming/pushing than damage or attack speed would.

Feel free to try it tho
Going towards what Captain Scro is saying, Teemo is an early champion. The worst time to run into an AP Teemo is VERY early in the game. If the game drags out, Teemo loses the advantage of his Toxic Dart and Blinding Dart damage.

Teemo's my favorite (and best) champion and I rarely use him for AP, simply because I would probably do a LOT more damage physically than through the abilities.