Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Next PBE Push] Improvement to missiles fired from Fog of War!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xelnath

Recruiter

07-16-2013

Do you like getting hit by invisible Nidalee's spears?

I don't like getting hit by invisible Nidalee's spears.

In the next PBE push (Sometime after 7/17/2013), you may notice a slight change to skillshot missiles fired from Fog of War.

Specifically, if a missile is moving towards you, Fog of War won't hide it when it's close to you. The intent is that you should always have some warning when you're going to be nailed by a missile. It won't be as much warning as you'd get if you could see the enemy, though.

We're not quite done with this feature, so feedback is welcome. Here's roughly how it should work:

If you're standing behind the baron pit and nidalee throws a spear from where Baron spawns, towards you, you should see it before it hits you. If she throws it towards river, you see no warning about the spear at all. Similarly, if she throws it towards mid or top lane, places you can't see, you won't see the spear either.

The hope here is that we reduce the number of scenarios where players take damage without understanding why it occurred.

Zerglinator

07-16-2013

Hallelujah!

Whelk

07-16-2013

Thank you!!... *sobs*... thank you!!

Misogoop6

07-16-2013

ARAMS are survivable again!

MasterForce

07-16-2013

Cool.

HunterHagen

07-16-2013

Roughly how many units are you guys planning to go with this concerning earliest signs of detection?
If it's any skillshot that's approaching the champion, I would imagine certain things would be detected earlier than others depending on their projectile speed.

Random note: I just bought and played Terarria, and I can't stop imagining my text as blocks to mine through.

Xelnath

Recruiter

07-16-2013

Quote:
HunterHagen:
Roughly how many units are you guys planning to go with this concerning earliest signs of detection?
If it's any skillshot that's approaching the champion, I would imagine certain things would be detected earlier than others depending on their projectile speed.

It's more about the amount of time you have to dodge than the units. Probably about a half second to a second of warning time.

Hellpyre

07-16-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
Do you like getting hit by invisible Nidalee's spears?

I don't like getting hit by invisible Nidalee's spears.

In the next PBE push (Sometime after 7/17/2013), you may notice a slight change to skillshot missiles fired from Fog of War.

Specifically, if a missile is moving towards you, Fog of War won't hide it when it's close to you. The intent is that you should always have some warning when you're going to be nailed by a missile. It won't be as much warning as you'd get if you could see the enemy, though.

We're not quite done with this feature, so feedback is welcome. Here's roughly how it should work:

If you're standing behind the baron pit and nidalee throws a spear from where Baron spawns, towards you, you should see it before it hits you. If she throws it towards river, you see no warning about the spear at all. Similarly, if she throws it towards mid or top lane, places you can't see, you won't see the spear either.

The hope here is that we reduce the number of scenarios where players take damage without understanding why it occurred.

What's the angle of detection on this? and does it change at all with MS?

Basically, what I'm asking is, would it be possible for me to run into a skillshot I couldn't see if I were moving quickly enough?

RageAge

Recruiter

07-16-2013

couple quick questions:

1. Will this change affect other things that are invisible if the champion is in a bush, but not "projectiles" so to speak? I'm thinking things like singed poison, which creates some aesthetically displeasing visual effects during chases though the jungle (which to be fair, should tip you off that you're chasing singed, and thats wrong, but i digress...).

2. Will the projectiles be visible to teammates as well? like if i'm near the bush and a nidalee spear comes at me, and i see it but dodge, will my teammate directly behind me ~600 units still get the advanced notice?

EDIT:
3. Will this be a significant nerf to champions like nidalee, with notoriously dodge-able skill shots? If so do you know if the balance team has any plans to compensate?

HunterHagen

07-16-2013

Quote:
Xelnath:
It's more about the amount of time you have to dodge than the units. Probably about a half second to a second of warning time.

It probably shouldn't go past half a second since I can't think of a projectile that takes more than a second to reach its end point (other than Heimy's grenade). I say this because (personal opinion) I think you shouldn't be given enough of a reaction time to sidestep it from complete fog of war, but just enough to respond with a dash or Flash (or very high movespeed).

I'm also worried how this will affect multi-hit/aoe/global skillshots like Trueshot Barrage. If Ezreal and his team are doing Baron but you can't actually see them, and if he Ults towards you from the baron pit to behind it, will you be able to see Ezreal and anything that's within the pathing of the projectile? Or what if in your example, Nidalee's spear is actually blocked by something else (Baron, Dragon, minions, etc.) before it can hit you? Will you be able to notice that?

And finally, how will this affect cast time? Will it only show the hooks/hands/projectiles coming towards you or will you be able to see the cast time if the detection is long enough? This would be affecting champions like Thresh the most who has a skillshot that has a fast projectile accompanied with a long cast time.