A Wild Knifecat Appears! (Rengar Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Averath

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wav3Break View Post
Just to buffer Scarizard's post, I am currently tuning the new "Q-Train" destroyer knife cat damage window and I'm not gonna lie, this thing feels freaking awesome to pull off. You will knife more than you ever could and stab peoples faces like no tomorrow. Now time to balance and test it more :P. Again everything is subject to change.

I would also like to ask some questions:

How would you guys feel about Bola Strike being a skill shot?

How would you guys feel about Empowered Bola Strike bringing a little bit more team utility?

P.S. I think Bone Tooth is feeling pretty healthy building out of a Hunter's machete for all of you jungle Rangos out there .

Continue to give us great ideas guys we will continue to iterate and try our best to make sure Rengar becomes an awesome and healthy character!
I have to say that I love the idea of the Q-train. It definitely fits my specific playstyle a bit better than what he has now, and it would make it feel more combo-ish rather than reactive.

Hunter's machete building into bonetooth necklace is also an amazing idea! So glad it is being tested!

As for the Bola Strike. On one hand I like the idea of it being a clicked spell, because it simply makes it easier for Rengar to chase. But, if you made it a skillshot it would not only feel more thematic because you're throwing something, not firing a homing missile. It would also allow the ability to be somewhat stronger or more useful if it loses the guaranteed aspect to it. But it might mean that Rengar will suffer moreso from being unable to get to his target and make him more of Olaf with a Stealth. It depends on what the utility adds. Honestly, I like the idea simply because it feels more thematic, and would make it feel more satisfying to land. Skillshots are like that.

C13Magnum

07-18-2013

I was kind of thinking about it, and I'm not sure if he even necessarily needs stealth on his ult. It's just the run speed would have to be significantly faster. What if, instead of stealth, it did something like reveal enemies within range, +40% run speed until you enter combat, 5 ferocity, and auto-attacks now perform leaps at the target if out of melee range for the next 6 seconds.

Boom, nearly all of his toxic gameplay removed. Most of the time you can see him coming (unless he leaps over a wall at you). The 6 seconds of leaps now allow him to stay on a target and give him the feeling of going for the kill, and possibly even an avenue of escape. And you bring back his ultra fun double jump move!

If his bola becomes a long range skill shot this really becomes like how a predator hunts. They wait until an opportune moment (snare or root landed or an enemy weakened enough) and dash at the target for the kill. Obviously as an assassin you may come in from the side unseen, or possibly leap over a wall as you see a nearby enemy, so an aspect of stealthily prowling for a target still exists, but more based on opportunity and player skill over just the press of a button.

Crüniac

07-18-2013

I don't know if someone already mentioned this, but I would suggest in terms of keeping his ultimate useful and also offering counter play for the swift... Perhaps you could make it so people within a shorter range can hear him breathing. Sort of how people near Eve can see her, make it so people maybe a little less than twice his jump range away can hear him. Just don't make it a glaring icon for all to see. Also, if the person doesn't have direct line of sight they shouldn't hear him (wards are for vision, not hearing).

Redeemed In Fire

07-18-2013

I love the Q train idea. I'd just like to voice that I still strongly feel that a one-and-done setup on Battle Roar, particularly one with a heal, still rubs me the wrong way.

aces2kj

07-18-2013

I dont mind if hunter machetes builds into bonetooth but what about lane rengar a hunters machete is pretty useless during laning phase i hope the new changes to the bonetooth make it a late game item with like X amount of AD and will it still have the per level damage?

Devastra

07-18-2013

Quote:
Just to buffer Scarizard's post, I am currently tuning the new "Q-Train" destroyer knife cat damage window and I'm not gonna lie, this thing feels freaking awesome to pull off. You will knife more than you ever could and stab peoples faces like no tomorrow. Now time to balance and test it more :P. Again everything is subject to change.

How would you guys feel about Empowered Bola Strike bringing a little bit more team utility?

P.S. I think Bone Tooth is feeling pretty healthy building out of a Hunter's machete for all of you jungle Rangos out there .

Continue to give us great ideas guys we will continue to iterate and try our best to make sure Rengar becomes an awesome and healthy character!

1: What does Bola Strike gain for being a skillshot? Does it hit minions and champions or just champions? If it doesn't get buffed but just changed to a skillshot what power does he get elsewhere on his kit to compensate?

2: Having something for team utility is always nice in case you're not doing so well yourself that game then at least you can offer something to fights other than just more gold for the enemy, but I suppose it would depend on what sort of thing you had in mind for E2. It also would help him in the jungle role as far as setting a carry up for a kill when he ganks rather than getting it himself, again depending on what kind of utility you're talking about.

EspeonageTieler

07-18-2013

bola does not need to be a skill shot its one of his only tools against extremely annoying ranged match ups not to mention his only to at keeping on top of someone if hes not in the jungle

Jonathan S Fox

07-18-2013

Quote:

I think that sounds pretty cool, myself. Having a bit of splash slow, for example, would make Empowered Bola Strike feel a lot more powerful and useful.

The skill shot idea is nice in that it nerfs the attack's reliability without undermining the feeling of power he has, which hopefully means you can make it more devastating when he does land the bola strike. For example, if making it a skill shot is one way to pay for a longer duration slow that will help him stick to his targets longer, that seems worthwhile to me. The existing Bola Strike's decaying slow makes it feel much shorter than the ability says.

3mptylord

07-18-2013

Quote:

Empowered Bola Strike - it explodes on your target, rooting all things in a circle behind them. A small, soft-CC Sejuani ultimate.

That said, for the single-target skill shot to work it would have to ignore minion collision - I think. As a champion he is in Trundle/Udyr category of "potentially hyper-kitable", and Rengar's targeted slow is currently his tool to get around this weakness.

Name:  RENGARNET.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  23.8 KB

Raptamei

07-18-2013

Why was this thread not posted on the EUW forum?