A Wild Knifecat Appears! (Rengar Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HaIfhearted

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wav3Break View Post
How would you guys feel about Bola Strike being a skill shot?

How would you guys feel about Empowered Bola Strike bringing a little bit more team utility?
Meh, and no.

To me, Rengar is an assassin who selects a single prey he wants to hunt, tracks them down, and then jumps on and subsequently tears their face off.

Bola Strike being targeted simply means minions can block it and that it can be juked, which isn't something I'm terribly a fan of considering its semi-short range already being a pretty decent limiter.
If his kit was more focused on Bola Strike, maybe, but I'd rather see Bola as a sort of "I get in range and you are slowed" so that the players involved can both focus on the more important things: a giant, angry cat armed with several very sharp implements trying to rip some guys face off.

Edit: actually, if you made it a skillshot that exploded into a (small) aoe if it hit something, I'd be somewhat ok with it being a skillshot.
However, I prefer to play Rengar as a QQ assassin, and having to worry about jukes and minions when I'm on an assassin isn't what I signed up for.

Heck, you can take some of the range off of current Bola if you want to limit its ease-of-use because of its current targeted nature.

Definitely no to the extra utility side.
Again, Rengar is that single-target focused assassin who wants to jump a guy and kill said guy.
He is not an aoe, and certainly not a utility champion (AP Rengar can go die in a fire), and I would not want to see him move in that direction.
Plus, current Bola Strike is enough utility as-is.

Yggtalem

07-18-2013

something more along the lines of *lets say* sejuani ult for a skillshot bola strike? with a larger aoe slow and main target root if empowered? i could get behind that, that sounds really bloody cool

TVankUberAlles

07-18-2013

Let's not make Bola Strike a skill-shot. I think this would force top-lane Rengars to max their Q first. Also, if you make that change AND make BTN build from a Hunter's Machete then you're really limiting Rengar to the jungle.

HaIfhearted

07-18-2013

I forgot to mention this in my other post, but I was actually wondering if you guys could get Rengars passive to trigger while unseen by enemies in general, instead of just while hes in bush.
Like, Rengar is supposed to stalk and then jump his opponents from the shadows, so why not have it be able to trigger while simply in the fog of war?

It would give Rengar a few new plays he could make, like juking into the fog to get that extra gap closer so that he could gain an extra edge as a jungle hunter.

I'll admit there are a few edge cases where this could be kinda ridiculous, like jumping into/out of the Baron/Dragon pit or engaging across a lot of the jungle walls (I'm thinking specifically around the Base wall where there isn't any brush), but it would be really thematically interesting and give him an extra layer of terror, as well as open up new opportunities for skilled players to demonstrate their mastery of brush/vision manipulation.

XL fenomenon

07-18-2013

You say that Rengar's burst is too high? Look at the other stealth assassins. Khazix and Evelynn. they both do tremendous amounts of damage really quick. I have seen DFG Eve delete 3k health targets as fast as Rengar can kill a squishy and you want to LOWER or EXTEND his burst. You have got to be joking. Rengar the assassin that almost kills you in 5 seconds before being ripped apart by CC or sustain is the joke you are creating

Godunderscor

07-18-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarizard View Post

Catching this before i leave - i think something like this sounds really cool. I know i mentioned earlier that we were looking at +MS% in brush. What do people think about similar version?

'Rengar gains X movement speed while not visible to the enemy team (or out of combat). This bonus is doubled while Rengar is in brush.' ?

A lot of the bonetooth ideas specifically have been pretty interesting - Wav3break's heavy lifting is going to be focused on BTN, but i'll make sure to keep passing these along.
This sounds like one of those feels-testing moments. If Rengar is in brush, he's getting the speed buff already, why give brush an advantage. And either way, doesn't he lose the bonus if the enemy has wards?
Why not just give him the bonus whenever he is unseen?

Azzazin Nation

07-18-2013

Quote:
Just to buffer Scarizard's post, I am currently tuning the new "Q-Train" destroyer knife cat damage window and I'm not gonna lie, this thing feels freaking awesome to pull off. You will knife more than you ever could and stab peoples faces like no tomorrow. Now time to balance and test it more :P. Again everything is subject to change.

I would also like to ask some questions:

How would you guys feel about Empowered Bola Strike bringing a little bit more team utility?

P.S. I think Bone Tooth is feeling pretty healthy building out of a Hunter's machete for all of you jungle Rangos out there .

Continue to give us great ideas guys we will continue to iterate and try our best to make sure Rengar becomes an awesome and healthy character!

bola could be a skillshot but it would have to be more rewarding to land.. like instead of a slow turn it into a snare or something you know what i mean. also the problem with that is when he dives behind the front like to kill the carrys it might get in the way and hit the tank, and also scince your making him visable at the BEGINNING of the leap it would make him super kite-able if he missed, and it wont be easy to hit cause every adc in the world gonna be flashing his leap LOL

Dextii

07-18-2013

Quote:
Just to buffer Scarizard's post, I am currently tuning the new "Q-Train" destroyer knife cat damage window and I'm not gonna lie, this thing feels freaking awesome to pull off. You will knife more than you ever could and stab peoples faces like no tomorrow. Now time to balance and test it more :P. Again everything is subject to change.

I would also like to ask some questions:

P.S. I think Bone Tooth is feeling pretty healthy building out of a Hunter's machete for all of you jungle Rangos out there .

Continue to give us great ideas guys we will continue to iterate and try our best to make sure Rengar becomes an awesome and healthy character!
If you keep both triple Q mechanics it'll look like this ->

3 ferocity, ult, use at 5, leap, use Q and ult charges giving another 5 (3 from empowered Q, 2 from ult) empowered Q again, another 3 ferocity + your W and Q

Resulting in a delayed but huge burst quadra Q.

tell me if I did the math wrong, i'm not completely confident in it.

Focus Sash

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-18-2013

Quote:
I would feel it being a net buff, though I feel the range would have to be increased a wee bit to compensate. The effective range would be lower because by the time it gets to where you aimed, they're farther away; you'd have to cast it when they're closer than live or it wouldn't hit.

Quote:
Uh, like what? Stabby Cat is a strong, independent cat-person-thing who don't need no team. Honestly though, a ranged snare into a heavy slow is pretty high on the utility -- what else could you add to it? Or are you talking about putting more of an emphasis on the utility, taking away damage?

Quote:
Certainly. Why not make Rengar's W -- instead of increasing his own defenses -- decrease the offensive power of those that are hit, similar to Tryndamere's Mocking Shout? In this manner, his "survivability" hinges on him being in the thick of it and, I feel, improves upon the visceral feeling of playing Rengar. Jump on someone, roar to make them weak in the knees, and then stabby stabby when they try to get away. It would also improve the enemy's ability to respond to Rengar, as Rengar isn't just getting free stats to shrug off damage, he's specifically mitigating the damage of the targets *directly in his threat range* (W range); those not hit by the W would deal normal damage.

Tryndameister

07-18-2013

Rengar is totally fine. Please do not change him or make him more powerful. People are just now relearning how to play him.