A Wild Knifecat Appears! (Rengar Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Swyteh

01-11-2014

Any updates on Rengar rework? We had so much information some months ago and now it's getting forgotten,

Wero34

01-11-2014

Rengar need a purpose in life, give him a real role.

HeWhoHates

01-11-2014

Scarizard is probably *scared* from all the back lash he will get for a **** Rengar rework.

X1zz3l

01-11-2014

RiP Tripple Q and therefore Asssassingar
RiP Tankgar no.2

And thanks for not giving us any updates at all on his rework...as short "Sorry we can't make it in time" would be enough, keeping silent blows... >.>

arwingflyer98

01-11-2014

To be honest, I feel as though I just got the hang of the current Rengar (without Triple Q, even if I only play PvP :P), and I think that the only thing that is necessary in this rework is the Ultimate change. Note that this in itself fixes Triple Q, hence the "consume all Ferocity on cast".

In my recent experience, Rengar just needs to be worked at by a player in order to become skilled at him. I also feel as though many, although not all, have been consumed in one way or another by the idea of playing a champion just because s/he's quick to get the hang of or "OP". I myself have done this before, but I don't want to complain when I find a champion does happen to have a high skill requirement, AKA Rengar.

Also, this rework doesn't seem to be flexible at all with Rengar's different forms of playstyle, even if the exact numbers haven't been announced yet. A small damage reduction on Q, as well as damage reduction on Empowered Q, and giving buffs to the damage on the other spells doesn't appear to favor Assassin Rengar (unless this is just a balance to his spells so that Q alone isn't all-powerful). On the other hand, skillshot Bola Strike doesn't make lane Rengar easy either, with all of the minions in the way. This probably isn't the case, but one might think that this rework will make Rengar incompatible all around. Battle Roar is kind of an awkward change just because of the fact that AP Rengar is kind of rare in my experience, let alone needs a buff (no offense to you AP knifecat lovers ). But again, this is an iffy topic just because: 1)we haven't seen numbers yet, and 2)stats on paper and actual gameplay can be drastically different.

I hope I influenced some people's opinions (maybe even Scarizard's )/reinforced the opinions of others who share my point of view.

I would say that's just my 2 cents, but I think it's more than that given this wall of text...

Flamewolf75

01-11-2014

Wait, is this still a thing? Rengar's recent popularity makes me think that Riot will reconsider the rework.

arwingflyer98

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamewolf75 View Post
Wait, is this still a thing? Rengar's recent popularity makes me think that Riot will reconsider the rework.
I don't even know anymore, with Scarizard being invisible and all...

Maybe he asked Rengar if he could borrow his invisible powers.

Parapsychology

01-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwingflyer98 View Post

Also, this rework doesn't seem to be flexible at all with Rengar's different forms of playstyle, even if the exact numbers haven't been announced yet. A small damage reduction on Q, as well as damage reduction on Empowered Q, and giving buffs to the damage on the other spells doesn't appear to favor Assassin Rengar (unless this is just a balance to his spells so that Q alone isn't all-powerful). On the other hand, skillshot Bola Strike doesn't make lane Rengar easy either, with all of the minions in the way. This probably isn't the case, but one might think that this rework will make Rengar incompatible all around. Battle Roar is kind of an awkward change just because of the fact that AP Rengar is kind of rare in my experience, let alone needs a buff (no offense to you AP knifecat lovers ). But again, this is an iffy topic just because: 1)we haven't seen numbers yet, and 2)stats on paper and actual gameplay can be drastically different.

I think the biggest problem with Rengar right now isn't so much Rengar himself, but how the enemy assesses Rengar from game to game. With having a few build paths viable it leaves a lot of questioning by the enemy. From the assassin Rengar, to the bruiser Rengar, varying all the way to tank Rengar.

Is this the Rengar that 2 shots the adc? Or is it the one who wants long drawn out sustained battles?

Enemy asks their self, is this the Rengar that our team needs to focus NO MATTER WHAT (assassin)? Is this the Rengar we focus if given the right scenario (bruiser)? Or is this the Rengar we don't even care about focusing ever (tank)? How many other champions have such varying viability?

IF riot nerfs his Q, buffs his E, and balances W, All they are doing is leaving even more room for enemy uncertainty in -Rengar's Threat Level Assessment- (as I will call it). If you nerf Q, you are telling the community of LoL that you don't want Assassin Rengar, but I know for myself.. I will still play him as assassin because what use does hit ultimate serve otherwise? For Tankgars and BruiserGars... Ultimate has become the most toxic aspect of Rengar because it is basically a get out of jail free card. For assassin Rengar, his ultimate is hardly used as an escape because chances are if assassin Rengar gets caught... he'll be blown up before his ultimate ticker goes off.

So please riot... before you decide to Nerf/Balance/Buff any specific aspect of his beautiful kit... think about the uncertainty is will bring to the battlefield.

Personally.. for me in a perfect world; there is only assassin Rengar. Then, every single team, no matter the ELO, will know... TO FOCUS RENGAR! Then -Rengar's Threat Level Assessment- will be consistent for the enemy.

Riot talked about how they want to make more melee adcs viable... we saw the semi- inconsistent rework of Yi come out.. We see the Tryndamere slowly drop in tier due to easy counter play.

Riot please stop waving the red flag of "NERF" at assassin Rengar and even Rengar in general... either do it already or explain why it needs months upon months of being on the backburner...

I am not here to bash you riot. I love your game... I just think the way you're going about the Rengar change really hurts your awesome feedback track record =(

arwingflyer98

01-12-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parapsychology View Post
I think the biggest problem with Rengar right now isn't so much Rengar himself, but how the enemy assesses Rengar from game to game. With having a few build paths viable it leaves a lot of questioning by the enemy. From the assassin Rengar, to the bruiser Rengar, varying all the way to tank Rengar.

Is this the Rengar that 2 shots the adc? Or is it the one who wants long drawn out sustained battles?

Enemy asks their self, is this the Rengar that our team needs to focus NO MATTER WHAT (assassin)? Is this the Rengar we focus if given the right scenario (bruiser)? Or is this the Rengar we don't even care about focusing ever (tank)? How many other champions have such varying viability?

IF riot nerfs his Q, buffs his E, and balances W, All they are doing is leaving even more room for enemy uncertainty in -Rengar's Threat Level Assessment- (as I will call it). If you nerf Q, you are telling the community of LoL that you don't want Assassin Rengar, but I know for myself.. I will still play him as assassin because what use does hit ultimate serve otherwise? For Tankgars and BruiserGars... Ultimate has become the most toxic aspect of Rengar because it is basically a get out of jail free card. For assassin Rengar, his ultimate is hardly used as an escape because chances are if assassin Rengar gets caught... he'll be blown up before his ultimate ticker goes off.

So please riot... before you decide to Nerf/Balance/Buff any specific aspect of his beautiful kit... think about the uncertainty is will bring to the battlefield.

Personally.. for me in a perfect world; there is only assassin Rengar. Then, every single team, no matter the ELO, will know... TO FOCUS RENGAR! Then -Rengar's Threat Level Assessment- will be consistent for the enemy.
Although it's true that this rework will offer more uncertainty to opponents when one picks Rengar, 90ish% of opponents will probably still be able to at least guess Rengar's playstyle based on his teammates and what his team needs. Still, that's not to say that the Rengar player only plays one type of Rengar no matter what. So you're definitely right about the "Threat Level Assessment" as you call it.

Honestly, (regarding Rengar's change) the best move for Riot as of now is probably to release Rengar to the PBE so that there will be some testing done and feedback received. If the rework isn't finished, maybe that's better so that there's still time to stop if this rework really isn't needed. Still, I think it would be worth it if testing got through first, and then a decision is made based on the way the community receives the new Rengar.

opmXxStaind

01-14-2014

i find whenever i use rengars ultimate it's either to escape from enemy territory, which is something i think is important to his playstyle and allows him to be aggressive in the enemy jungle. or i use it to simply gank a lane like eve would. and lastly i use it to pounce onto out of position targets or to sneak out of teamfights and confuse enemy before jumping back in. all these different playstyles and uses of stealth make rengar really fun.

Taking burst damage away from rengar seems strange to me. considering he is a tiger in the jungle designed to ambush. but he can't burst anyone down. and if you take away his stealth he won't be able to surprise anyone as well. What i'm saying is that without his stealth and burst damage rengar isn't rengar at all. i mean his "triple q" could be taken away if that's the concern. other than that i don't see why rengar is being reworked.

Even with full ad his damage isn't amazing. lets say you jump onto the enemies fed mid laner. you get one q off, then they zhonyas. then you get another q off. now they have like 50% hp and then one of their combos can one shot you now. i mean you should be able to nearly insta gib enemies that have full offense 45 minutes into game. otherwise they'll plow down your whole team.

The core of rengar that makes him unique is the ability to RESPOND to fights around the map with his increased movement speed. so that means mobi boots, ult, and sometimes even ghost. Then showing up to QUICKLY turn the tide of the battle. Once rengars burst is up he does 0 damage which is fine as long as his burst is enough to turn around a fight. Taking away his q burst is literally taking away rengars ability to make plays.