A Wild Knifecat Appears! (Rengar Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Parapsychology

01-02-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insanities Eye View Post

And if I may talk about Ninfang for a little, I enjoyed watching that guy play rengar, he is perhaps the best Rengar player. Making it to Challenger is even better, so props to him, however, this is in Solo-que. I swear to you if he played Zed/Eve like he plays Rengar, he would be on a team in a heartbeat. But teams are hesitant to take him because he is playing on an unbalanced champ. Trust me, Rengar MUST have these changes, and with this new season here, I think I would much rather have him with a bruiser kit, not an assassin kit. The name of the game now is survive the burst and carry the team afterwards.

i'll just insert this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twgp64H5va8

Here is Assassin Rengar getting crushed in lane (Everyone saying his lane is OP, LOL try getting camped pre level 6 as Rengar by a competent jungler.. HES DEAD - No Escapes) but still being able to carry the team to a win..

here is a team with NO tanks.. and they still get the win against a TANKY team. Notice the enemy even saying "GG Rengar" after they win.

Assassin Rengar does have a place. Even if 90% can't play him as an assassin, this doesn't mean he isn't one.. NINFANG the one and only.

Slave King

01-03-2014

I main Rengar, but for some reason it seems like I'm the only Rengar fan who's excited for the changes. He's already good and now they're BUFFING him, but lots of people who main Rengar are acting as if he's being severely nerfed. Also, I hope Rengar gets a new skin by the time this rework comes out. YO! SKIN! PLEASE!!!

Smoke DZA

01-03-2014

so this **** was announced in july 6 months later he's a top lane monstrosity and we don't even know what the rework is like.

Bwhit

01-05-2014

I like most of his changes except bola being a skill shot, will make it very hard for him to useful top lane and disengage

eatsgokuforlunch

01-05-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarizard View Post
Just a heads up - gonna be focused on making tweaks that jive with preseason (especially on BTN) and likely making a new thread cause this one's suuuuper long already. You can expect a more updated/centralized discussion next week, along with our thoughts on where he's headed and what we can do to get things closer.

I'll be the first to admit that some of you are right in what you've identified feels kind of 'meh' on the kit posted - R mechanic has been testing well, but has a lot of feedback/satisfaction issues to players unfamiliar with it. Increasing clarity here and really pushing it to be the most awesome Rengar ult it can be is top priority for me.

Be on the lookout for the upcoming thread, where we'll have everything up to date. I appreciate all of the voices here - supportive or dissenting - you're all helping us accomplish a better Knifecat for everyone.

Hi Scarizard I like the changes so far but I have something to say about stealth....If you are reducing the stealth duration and removing the MS buff in stealth you are practically making stealth useless because 3 seconds of stealth with MS are more effective than 6secs with no MS so i think stealth should'nt take away his MS.Also pls dont make him a cliche bruiser (Dont hit q ratios too hard) so we can pick the role (assassin or bruiser) we want. I don't want to be forced into buying defense items when Rengar was always meant to be huge damage dealing assassin.

PS: Been playing Rengar a lot because I fear he might get lost among other top lane bruisers after rework.

SPARTAN 111

01-06-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarizard View Post
Just a heads up - gonna be focused on making tweaks that jive with preseason (especially on BTN) and likely making a new thread cause this one's suuuuper long already. You can expect a more updated/centralized discussion next week, along with our thoughts on where he's headed and what we can do to get things closer.

I'll be the first to admit that some of you are right in what you've identified feels kind of 'meh' on the kit posted - R mechanic has been testing well, but has a lot of feedback/satisfaction issues to players unfamiliar with it. Increasing clarity here and really pushing it to be the most awesome Rengar ult it can be is top priority for me.

Be on the lookout for the upcoming thread, where we'll have everything up to date. I appreciate all of the voices here - supportive or dissenting - you're all helping us accomplish a better Knifecat for everyone.
So this is where the time machine brought me...Has the time almost come for the king of the jungle/top lane's rework? I really appreciate you guys updating us but now that I know you're sill alive Scarizard, I was wondering if you might be able to check out this idea to add onto the BTN even though you said the bushes seem fine now(idk it seems like a ton of fun): After Rengar leaps, for the next 4 seconds the range of his passive increases x1.25/x1.5/x2, and if you don't leap within the 4 second interval your leap range resets to it's regular amount? Personally I think this would be PERFECT for Rengar after he ults and lands on someone that's near a bush, that way he can have a very brief but decent advantage knowing he's like the king of the jungle n all, idk..

Insanities Eye

01-06-2014

Hi, I know skarizard will more than likely not be reading this, and that is fine. I am writing this to see what you guys will think of the rengar me and my friend have made. We discussed the main problems for rengar as a whole in live, and we have made a rengar that we hope assassin rengars and Bruiser Rengar players alike will love, this will help him in top lane and balance him in jungle.

Before we go into his kit let me tell you how my Friend and I veiw an assassin class. We have discussed how most of the assassins in league are played and what their movement in teamfight play out in the majority of all the games we could view and games we have played. We have come to the conclusion that assassins in league are suppose to wait for an opportune moment in a teamfight (usually when most of the cc is blown) and jump on a high priority target and do as much damage as possible/kill them, and have the potential to escape, examples being Zed with his shadows and ult, Evelynn and her speed boost, or kha'zix with his jump. I think it was easy to agree that Bruisers are mainly there to pressure the back-lines, or protect the allied back-lines.

By the way with the new Ult being potentially scrapped (see scarizard's last post for details) we will be putting the live ult in this kit, also this makes it easier to grasp the concept of these new ability changes for this awesome predator we all love to play.

Despite what everyone thinks, yes I think that Q should be lowered in damage scaling, the purpose of this is because of the other changes to the kit that will up his burst damage considerably. In the long run his Q will be his main source of damage, but it won't make players feel like it is the only way to do damage...I cant put numbers right now, because we are not Testers, and we will not even pretend that we are, but we know that with these kind of changes to his kit, we want to make sure he is not too frustrating to deal with in the game

Next we get to the Bola, and Passive. We want to express that the bola should be a skillshot in order to make his damage scaling be higher and give more CC for his bola as well. Now then, the passive should work off of the bola and rengar should be able to jump to a target, after successfully landing, and gain a minor speed boost ofterwards (say for 3 seconds), the reasoning for a speedboost is to give rengar a chance to run to a priority target after using the "bola jump" as a checkpoint. We thought of Rengars passive...for a long time as well...and we have decided to put a time limit on jumping to an enemy outside the bush (perhaps 8 seconds, on the enemy hit cool down goes down to 2 sec at level 18) this is to put in some counterplay in top lane, HOWEVER seeing how bushes have been trimmed down, we thought it was fair that the cooldown would be reset if the enemy was in the bush. Also, in order to play into the next ability, we thought adding some sort of mark on the target Rengar attacks (Hunter's Mark/Prey?) would be a great way to make this ability work with the next ability (similar to xin zhoa).

After a good battle of what to do with his W; my friend and I eventually found an agreement on how we could change the way rengar could be a great assassin and keep a healthy bruiser status. We decided to utilize the Mark on his TARGET to activate W would reduce the "marked" enemy's Attack Damage, the ability will not stack with empowered W, and keep the ABILITY significant into late game. We think it would be best to give this an AD ratio, it doesn't have to be a big ratio, but a small ratio to make the late game damage feel like it is not being waisted. Due to the new change the armor and magic resist buff will be removed, so it can be fair.

After all of this we thought of a way to make BTN a lot more useful to assassin rengar. On a kill rengar will get a speed boost (decaying) for 5 sec, and 3 sec for an assist. We wanted to help the assassin rengars have an escape and make them want to buy the BTN for a late game escape (seeing how Bruiser rengars never really buy it)

We did our very best to put both aspects we thought would be fair to Rengars and opponents. We think this is a great set up (or at least a starting point for a rengar kit) and we would love to know what else would be better or what would help make this an even better kit. Please use constructive criticism, it doesn't help anyone if you say it is "a good Idea, awesome" or saying "This is bad, and you should feel bad"...thank you

eatsgokuforlunch

01-06-2014

@Insanities Eye I read your post really fast but I think "MS buff on kill(like jinx passive) would be nice with BTN" as he has nothing to get out of a fight after assassinating his target.

arwingflyer98

01-10-2014

I really hope Scarizard comes back to this thread soon or lets us know about the new thread. T_T

DzNDaBeat

01-10-2014

Gg triple q reng rip