A Wild Knifecat Appears! (Rengar Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Insentience

07-15-2013

More than half of the replies in this thread are garbage

Come on, if you guys like these kinds of thread then don't fill them with stupid posts.

Gaspump

07-15-2013

I honestly think that thematically, rengar fits way better as a jungler than a top laner. An interesting thought both thematically and mechanically would be if he was a jungler designed to focus on invading and dueling in the jungle? A way to work that would be perhaps giving him a brief defensive stat boost for skillful play, IE a passive that gave a brief defense boost on leap and maybe giving an AD steroid to his roar along with an amount of HP.

Saires

07-15-2013

How about reduce the effectiveness of his R.

Make it a shorter CD like 25 sec, but only let it produce 1 Ferocity and last 1,5 sec.

FabulousJeremy

07-15-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarizard View Post
-Do you identify Rengar's playstyle as one that would be a particularly good fit in the jungle? What improvements would you like to see be made to help him out?

-What is appealing to you about the defensive boost Rengar receives from Battle Roar? I'd like to change this from just flat Armor and Magic Resistance to something that can be situationally more powerful and makes him less 'meatwall' when he leaps on a target

-What types of improvements or changes would you like to see be made to Bonetooth Necklace? Ideally i'd like to see this moved away from a 'stat-stick' and embrace more unique enhancements like his 'Increases Leap Range by 150'
Rengar seems like he'd be a good jungler, but in his current state his abilities are all just way too weak to clear camps with. Some cooldown reductions, a buff to the base w damage, or adding something to his Q that increases damage to monsters may help.

I like the battle roar as a damage ability/heal. The armor/mr buff doesn't really feel impactful, even if it's a large portion of the power.

And for bonetooth necklace, I don't think making it based exclusively on kills is a good idea at all. Currently if you give it good base stats, he can snowball super hard with it. If you don't, it's a worthless item. Every snowball item shares this story but SotO and Mejai's are a lot more practical statistically for what they do. I feel the best route would be to do a sort of Viktor deal with bonetooth to where you can buy effects with it.

Toh Kay

07-15-2013

And now they're going to gut Rengar right as I go to buy him. Why am I always late to the party? -_-

Rysan Marquise

07-15-2013

I have always viewed Rengar as a champion all about feeling like you are hunting. I always felt AP Rengar actually had this feel the most strongly.

1: I think of his playstyle as one that I want to be good in the jungle, but practically is not. He always feels too slow and too bush dependent. I would want to see him with more strategic mobility if he was jungling more regularly.

2: I honestly view the defensive boosts of roar as secondary. It is interesting as his AoE damage, it is interesting as a choice of sustain, but the defense boosts just seem in the background. He has no resources, so you are going to use it every time he can.

3: I really don't care about the necklace.

Minishmaster

07-15-2013

Bonetooth necklace is a bad idea. A champion that relies on kills should not get benefits from getting kills. This is the literal feast-or-famine situation -- and even if it is balanced when you do get a ton of kills, you suffer harshly if you don't get any.

FabulousJeremy

07-15-2013

Oh yeah, and I also wanted to comment on his ult. In it's current state it feels kind of awkward. I want to use it to engage fights with stealth, but he's currently too dependant on saving the cd for a triple Q combo. Not to mention the cd makes it to where I feel I have to make it important on usage. Taking some of the utility from it to give it a lower cd would probably give him a much stronger predator feel.

CyanBloodbane

07-15-2013

I personally like him as is

Edit: well, my expectations of this rework went from "ugh" to "hope it gets scrapped", one can dream right?

Dancing Darius

07-15-2013

Umm. So I've been thinking about his abuse burst cases, and I was also taking into consideration he has ferocity, not any spell spamming limiting resource, like mana. So, why not put a global cooldown on his abilities when he uses one? You might be able to buff each spell individually for it, while reworking his ultimate, but he wouldn't be able to half second kill someone.

Edit: put ultimate in place of passive, didn't mean to rework his passive, that's good.