A Wild Knifecat Appears! (Rengar Discussion)

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Delta37Raven

08-17-2013

i have a question as someone who doesn't play Rengar but quite a bit of Kha'zix: Any chances we can see a change to the hunt mechanic? I don't know how many games I played where Rengar will either just not get enough stacks to trigger it, not buy the necklace at all, or just sell it when i am about to reach 16 so he can't trigger the hunt.

Atyres

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlg360Headshots View Post
Rengar is simply not a Jungler. He is meant to be played in the top lane.
You're wrong, he was meant to jungle and top lane. I bought him for level 6 stealth shenanigans that would allow for a consistent and smooth ganking experience until the enemy bought pink wards. He also had a great ganking experience if you were good (empowered E instead of Q).

Now Riot is completely changing this character that I loved until they gutted him, now they are just removing his spine too and replacing a new ideology to him that isn't warranted or wanted. We wanted him to be buffed to viability, not changed completely. Worst part is I probably won't be able to get a refund for him even though they are completely changing his feel to be more noob friendly and satiate a bunch of bads who refuse to pay 125 every three minutes.

GG

Bydlarius0

08-17-2013

You already had a near-perfect iteraton on Rengar's ultimate, why did you move away from it?

Whenever Rengar activates his ultimate, all enemies within range of reveal hear the sound cue (his roar):
It works basically like Nocturne's R, but allows Rengar to be more creative with maneuvering and engaging
Support or someone else can place a pink ward when they hear the cue, and bam! priority targets are safe!

What could possibly be wrong with this approach? Outside of, well, forcing people to think a liiittle bit ahead and carry a pink ward on them? Well, now we can't have that, I guess.

DEA1201

08-17-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killawar View Post
I'm not too sure I'm entirely convinced about the ult not having stealth any more. I feel like we're kinda gutting the cat and just putting band-aids on.

If you guys REALLY hate the true stealth on his ult, maybe do some bush interactions like maybe once in brush/exiting bush for a few seconds he's got some sort of Eve stealth mechanic (while his ult is on of course), but when out of brush it remains what you guys have wanted to change it to!

I don't know, just an opinion. Being a predatory cat-person would seem like using the bush in every opportune moment you could should have some sort of advantage, even if you have ult on.

Just my two cents, hope you see it.
I agree that eve-stealth ult mechanism would suit Rengar best.

Efrath

08-17-2013

So, Scarizard improves his ult, making it MUCH easier to successfully gank after level 6, gives him an ability that benefits his team a lot more plus possibly gives the team the option to buff base stats (They most likely will too) and buffs his CC ability.

And you guys whine and claim that he'll be weaker.

Classic GD.

Shinjusuke

08-17-2013

I apologize in advance for the bluntness of my next statement:

Removing the stealth on Rengar's ultimate is an awful, awful choice.

Skillshot bola is great, been hoping for that for ages now.

But his ult not having stealth? Make a new champion. Seriously. You seem to keep leaning more and more.. and more... toward making him some kind of offtank version of Master Yi. We have Master Yi. We have Rammus. We have Hecarim.

He is an assassin. He needs to STAY a high-risk-high-reward assassin. Hell, his PASSIVE implies he is to wait for the proper time to strike and (literally) get the jump on people. Make his stealth much shorter if he's already in combat while using it, or something, but it needs to stay. It's who he is. I don't know if you've ever even picked up a weapon, but I promise you, hunting does not work when you just run really fast at things.

He needs to be methodical, and patient, and unexpected (maybe FEARED, because you know he's nearby, but not expected).

I implore you. Don't make such a terrible decision deciding where to take Rengar. This is not the right direction and you're not taking the CHARACTER into consideration by doing it, just the balancing.
There's always ways to balance the character. There's not ways to fix ruining it's "feel" once you have (unless you just change the lore, which Riot is willing to do).

Edit: I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound like I'm taking a personal stab here, but there are WAY too many posts here about how you're ruining the feel of the character if you remove the stealth for you to ignore them. Just saying. When people who don't read the forums start getting Karma-level pissed when this hits live, you might wish you had listened to us.

The Toad

08-17-2013

I think a big problem is people are seeing this iteration of Rengar as "This is the direction we like and the one we're using!" rather than "This is something we're experimenting with!" I'm fairly certain that unless the new ultimate just feels AMAZING, they'll go back to the stealth because it's iconic and it's what people expect from Rengar.

Vernados

08-17-2013

i know my words cant convince u not changin rengar,but i hope atleast u guys change this new champ's name!this champ is not rengar anymore at all.pls change his name and let rengar rest in peace.
rengar was known as his stealth mood,now removin it from his ult,i dont know,let me say "an awful choice"

Berserk Knight

08-17-2013

Someone proposed this, and I'm relaying it.

Keep Rengar's stealth, but allow the enemies to know where he is via a rippling warped-space effect on his location (like the cloaked units in the Starcraft games) or something so they can avoid him and try to counter with skillshots and AoE, but not directly target and fight him without stealth detection capabilities.

Didn't sound too bad to me.

Also, I believe some CC and AoE damage reduction while stealthed would be nice if Riot does implement this.

Grimwohl

08-17-2013

My issue is that they are taking a TON of power away from where his is now and putting it...no where??
We don't see it riot. Unless hes going to get like +7 across the board on his stats, we really dont see it.

He's a lot more flavorful and i like the theme your going with, but we can already identify he's weaker for not much of anything.

-bola now skillshot
-No stats on necklace, horrible scaling (10+level??? really)
-No resistances on roar
-No stealth on ult

I'm gonna say I trust you as far as rengar goes, but you're gonna have to clarify where the power was shifted to for the fanbase. Running like an african sprinter is nice and all, but you could already catch just about anyone with mobos and your ult before.